Author Topic: Did you meet any of your great grandparents and did they help you with research?  (Read 2002 times)

Offline Redroger

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dad and Fireman at Kings Cross 13.7.1951
    • View Profile
Re: Did you meet any of your great grandparents and did they help you with research?
« Reply #18 on: Tuesday 24 March 20 20:34 GMT (UK) »
Only one of my great grandparents' life coincided with mine. Most were  orn in the early 19th century, meaning that they would be approaching their 200th birthdays about now! Two in fact my father's paternal grandparents were born in 1791 and 1798 respectively.

The one who made it was my mother's paternal grandmother, Emily Cornwell (1850-1941) I am certain that I would have met her, but as I was born in 1940 have no recollection of the occasion.

She was also the grandmother of WW1 Hero Jack Cornwell VC (1900-1916) died of wounds immediately after the Battle of Jutland.
Ayres Brignell Cornwell Harvey Shipp  Stimpson Stubbings (all Cambs) Baumber Baxter Burton Ethards Proctor Stanton (all Lincs) Luffman (all counties)

Offline BSmith2268

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Did you meet any of your great grandparents and did they help you with research?
« Reply #19 on: Friday 03 March 23 01:29 GMT (UK) »
All of my great-grandparents died before I was born, but the last one lived to 103 and died five years before I was born. My older brothers remember her well and she used to talk about the family.

Great Grandpa A: 1897-1966
Great Grandma B: 1897-1989
Great Grandpa B: 1895-1966
Great Grandma B: 1895-1998
Great Grandpa C: 1899-1968
Great Grandma C: 1901-1962
Great Grandpa D: 1895-1968
Great Grandma D: 1907-1991

My mother's great grandmother was still alive when she was born, but she died when my mother was two and I don't think they ever met, as the great-grandmother was in a nursing home.

Smith- Neath, Glamorgan/ Witney, Oxfordshire
Roberts- Llandow/ St Donats, Glamorgan
Hopkins- Tonmawr, Glamorgan/ Llanelli, Carmarthenshire
Emanuel- Briton Ferry, Glamorgan
Broom- Neath, Glamorgan/ Oare, Somerset, Ilfracombe, Devon

Madden- Aberavon, Glamorgan/ Cork, IRELAND
Price- Tonmawr, Glamorgan/ Brecknockshire
Davies- Morriston, Glamorgan/ Gower, Glamorgan
Price- Fochriw, Glamorgan
Parker- Neath, Glamorgan
Waters- Aberavon, Glam, Cork, IRELAND
Gleeson- Limerick, IRELAND
Watkins- Breconshire

Offline ajm314159

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Friday 03 March 23 01:48 GMT (UK) »
My father's paternal grandfather was born in 1859 and died in 1945, when my father was 12.  So I never met him: but he helped me with my research. In fact he got me started.

For he did genealogy himself, and wrote a book combining the results with a biography of his father and his own memoirs.

Thus we can pass our work forward to our own descendants whom we may never meet.
Malton (London)
Eades (Somerset)
Johnson (Wimborne, East Dorset)
Hopkins (Roxburgh., Yorks.)
Kidd (Westmoreland)
Lake (East Cambridgeshire)

Offline Annbee

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Friday 03 March 23 05:18 GMT (UK) »
My living Great grandma helped me out a lot

You are very very lucky! I find most people don't even really know their grandparents let alone their great grandparents, myself included.

Except that I have always held a dim visual memory of my maternal great grandmother lying in bed in our darkened spare bedroom in England. And me, barely 3 years old, peeking into the room. My great grandmother is my first memory! She died shortly after.

Now I'm able to piece events together, looking back it was a stressful time for the adults. My mother and her family were Scots living in England, my mother's father had died less than a year earlier and his death set in motion the loss of the farm and the loss of a home for my grandmother and her 90 year old mother.

Worse was to come as one of my mother's children was about to catch polio, but I would think looking after my great grandmother must have been an impossibility anyway, perhaps because of her aged care needs. I suspect great grandmother was put in a nursing home in nearby Droitwich, as that is where her death is registered.

If you are able to know a grandparent in your adult years, and have meaningful exchanges, you are very fortunate :)

Warwickshire: BEACH/BACHE, COX Gloucestershire: HAIL, VOYCE, TURNER, WINCHCOMBE, PREEN, Worcestershire: WEBB, CHARE, TYLER, Fife: FOWLER, JOHNSTONE, MELVILLE, Lanarkshire/Dunbartonshire: GRAHAM, CHALMERS, LANG, BISHOP, Sweden/Hamburg/London/Birmingham: HOKANSON