Author Topic: Did you meet any of your great grandparents and did they help you with research?  (Read 1998 times)

Offline KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Both of my grandfathers died before I was born - that's what got me into Family History ;D

Great Grandma A 1836-1911
Great Grandpa A 1843-1897
Great Grandma B 1862-1945
Great Grandpa B 1861-1950
Great Grandma C 1855-1909
Great Grandpa C 1851-1919
Great Grandma D 1874-1948
Great Grandpa D 1871-1952
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline Mvann

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Did you meet any of your great grandparents and did they help you with research?
« Reply #10 on: Monday 23 March 20 20:29 GMT (UK) »
Only 2 of my great grandma's were alive when I was born. One died when I was 3, the other when I was 15

Offline DonM

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Did you meet any of your great grandparents and did they help you with research?
« Reply #11 on: Monday 23 March 20 21:57 GMT (UK) »
I new my paternal GGrandmother very well I would bring her fresh milk and eggs from the farm everyday, she baked cookies and cakes ;)  She died in her 103 year, very aware and had a fantastic memory but equally important she kept a journal in old ledgers.  When she died I ended up with her ledgers and it was these plus, her stories and the annual travels with my Grandfather that got me started. 

Don

I have turned off all email notifications, thank you.

Offline pharmaT

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 23 March 20 22:06 GMT (UK) »
My Great Grandparents died in: 1939, 1956, 1920, 1950, 1923, 1936, 1942 and 1941, I was born in the 70s.
Campbell, Dunn, Dickson, Fell, Forest, Norie, Pratt, Somerville, Thompson, Tyler among others

Offline chempat

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 23 March 20 22:25 GMT (UK) »
My great-grandparents died between 2 and 41 years before I was born.
They lived for between 41 and 93 years.
The one who died 2 years before I was born, died age 78.

3 of my 4 grandparents died before I was 4.

If your ancestors were always the oldest (first born child) in a family you have more chance of knowing your great-grandparents than if your ancestors were always the youngest in the family.

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 23 March 20 22:52 GMT (UK) »
All my Great Grandparents died before I was born  :-\
Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU

Offline danieloks2ndaccount

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 23 March 20 23:25 GMT (UK) »
My mum got to meet her maternal great grandma Isabella but Isabella died the year after my mum was born 1893-1972.
Also my mum got to meet her paternal great gran and grandpa (they were married) Robert -1975 and Janet/Jessie -1982.

Offline jim234j

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 23 March 20 23:28 GMT (UK) »
I was 2 years old when the last of my great grandparents died.

However I am now 75 and have 5 aunts and uncles still living on my maternal side.  All in their 90s and all very sharp.   They  have helped me immensely on my mothers line.

Offline Pelican

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 24 March 20 01:16 GMT (UK) »
I was born in 1935 and I had two grandmothers living one of whom died when I was two. I had no great grandparents living. My grandmother I remember clearly, adored her. she died when I was 21.

My mother told me the family legends when I was a child and she said she and my darling grandmother had researched them and they were true. I do so wish they had left their research, I have never been able to prove them.

That is the wonder of great grandparents memory. My grandmother was born in 1875 so family memory goes back a long time. They knew the connections that I cannot find before 1837 in parish registers that are missing because of wear and tear and those that have not been transcribed yet.

We have 11 great grandchildren and they are the reason I am doing family research and have been for many years. There are some wonderful stories that we must hand on. My husband is 89.

When you emigrated to the other side of the world those wonderful people who voluntarily transcribed those records are a genealogical lifeline. I cannot thank them enough.