Author Topic: State of Emergency Covid-19 (Part 6 - Lockdown)  (Read 14927 times)

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: State of Emergency Covid-19 (Part 6 - Lockdown)
« Reply #108 on: Tuesday 24 March 20 22:47 GMT (UK) »
I Read this today:

At first I was afraid, I was petrified,
There was no loo roll down at Aldi and I nearly cried.
Oh I spent so many nights thinking how you did me wrong,
I used to wipe,
And now I'm forced to just drip dry!

No anti-bac!
No soap,
And if you think you're buying pasta,
Well you've got no hope!
I would have bought that box of eggs,
I would have rationed out my bread.
If I'd known for just one second
Everyone would lose their head!
Go on now go, walk out the door!

Sang to I Will Survive!

That made me smile so I just had to share it.

Stay safe and keep smiling  ;)

Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU

Offline Jomot

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: Wednesday 25 March 20 01:37 GMT (UK) »

It’s all confusion  ??  B & Q has closed their stores. Wickes have closed today for 24 hours to “clarify” the situation  :-\

Oh heck!!!  My son texted a couple of hours ago to say the en-suite has a leak somewhere - even the flooring in the bedroom is lifting & is sodden underneath. 

We can't help due to the lock-down, son is clueless, and it looks like B&Q is shut.  Panic is rising!
MORGAN: Glamorgan, Durham, Ohio. DAVIS/DAVIES/DAVID: Glamorgan, Ohio.  GIBSON: Leicestershire, Durham, North Yorkshire.  RAIN/RAINE: Cumberland.  TAYLOR: North Yorks. BOURDAS: North Yorks. JEFFREYS: Worcestershire & Northumberland. FORBES: Berwickshire, CHEESMOND: Durham/Northumberland. WINTER: Durham/Northumberland. SNOWBALL: Durham.

Offline Mike in Cumbria

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: Wednesday 25 March 20 08:06 GMT (UK) »

It’s all confusion  ??  B & Q has closed their stores. Wickes have closed today for 24 hours to “clarify” the situation  :-\

Oh heck!!!  My son texted a couple of hours ago to say the en-suite has a leak somewhere - even the flooring in the bedroom is lifting & is sodden underneath. 

We can't help due to the lock-down, son is clueless, and it looks like B&Q is shut.  Panic is rising!

He can phone a plumber.

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: Wednesday 25 March 20 08:19 GMT (UK) »

He can phone a plumber.

Yes - I remember hearing that, in emergencies, plumbers, electricians, etc. are allowed in.
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline suey

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • The light is on but there's no-one at home!
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: Wednesday 25 March 20 08:35 GMT (UK) »

Screw fix are are doing click and collect from some stores .
All census lookups are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Sussex - Knapp. Nailard. Potten. Coleman. Pomfrey. Carter. Picknell
Greenwich/Woolwich. - Clowting. Davis. Kitts. Ferguson. Lowther. Carvalho. Pressman. Redknap. Argent.
Hertfordshire - Sturgeon. Bird. Rule. Claxton. Taylor. Braggins

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: Wednesday 25 March 20 08:39 GMT (UK) »
I think it sounds a if  he needs a plumber rather than a fixture supplier.

Just been  reading this - be careful:

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2020/mar/24/uk-police-chiefs-coronavirus-could-bring-out-worst-in-humanity
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline Guy Etchells

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: Wednesday 25 March 20 09:25 GMT (UK) »

Screw fix are are doing click and collect from some stores .

Tell your son to check the toilet starting with the cistern (tank) if the water is overflowing from the cistern he needs to turn the water off the cold water at the mains stop cock, then flush the toilet. If the water is coming from the big pipes (ceremic & plastic) he must not flush the toilet.
If the water is coming from the thin (copper or plastic) pipes leading to the toilet cistern turn off the cold water at the mains stop cock.
Cheers
Guy
http://anguline.co.uk/Framland/index.htm   The site that gives you facts not promises!
http://burial-inscriptions.co.uk Tombstones & Monumental Inscriptions.

As we have gained from the past, we owe the future a debt, which we pay by sharing today.

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • My Family's Links 19th Cent
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: Wednesday 25 March 20 09:31 GMT (UK) »

Hi Jomot

Don't panic and turn off the main stop tap (some are under the kitchen sink or downstairs cupboard etc.)

Secondly try and trace where the water is coming from. Sometimes it can be just a toilet cistern (tank with the flush handle / button on it) overflowing and the overflow pipes are often just push fit (with no seals).

If you can trace the leak to a bathroom appliance (basin / toilet cistern), modern bathrooms often have a valve (pictured) in the inlet pipework (pictured in ON position), some get stiff, but if you can get a screw driver that fits the slot nicely (don't chew it up), then turn the slot 90 degrees (if it will turn easily), so that slot goes across the direction of flow. Added: The main Stop Valve (stop tap) is different to the picture.

Before I mess with anything, know where your main house stop tap (should be one at the Water Meter, if you have one) is first and that it will work and turn off the water.

If he has a main bathroom, stop using the En-suite with the leak, as it could be a leaky waste pipe and might stop leaking if you stop using it (until you can get there to investigate further).

Switch off any electrical appliance immediately near the leak. If electricals are wet or affected with water dripping and you can't get close or the Switch or electricals might be covered with water, then switch off Electrics at the main Consumer Unit, Fuse Box first.

Added: If absolutely hopeless at DIY, it sounds like you'll need a Plumber. In 13 years as a Qualified Plumber there are a few people who are not mechanically minded at all and can make a simple matter much worse.

A leak from a Gas Boiler, everyone needs a Registered Gas Engineer.

Some appliances may need turning off, so a good idea for all households to keep all the Instructions in one Folder, when you have something fitted.

It is amazing that 1000s don't know where there Stop Valves are!

Mark

guest189040

« Reply #116 on: Wednesday 25 March 20 09:46 GMT (UK) »

Great tips so far

We can sort of help but need more information as without it advice can only be general.

A major leak problem frequently can be traced to the shower.

Shower, tap all tiles, if any are loose water will get behind them and cause a right mess, in a lot of showers the cowboy builders line it with plasterboard rather than cement board and soggy plasterboard is a nightmare.  Or it could be a simple as a leaking drain, if the shower tray is raised off the floor he can remove the panel and check for a leak.  The shower tray sealant may well be the root cause of the leak as most shower trays do not have upstands and rely on sealant integrity for the seal.

The toilet itself could be leaking, the drain is typically just a push fit.

Water and waste pipes, check all joints that are accessible.

If the ensuite is on a first floor, check the ceilings below to identify when the main leak is.

If there is running water isolate and check electric switches and sockets to see if water is coming out of them, if it is or if in doubt isolate the electric mains and call tradestaff