Author Topic: New function on Ancestry DNA  (Read 4926 times)

Offline brigidmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Computer incompetent but stiil trying
    • View Profile
Re: New function on Ancestry DNA
« Reply #27 on: Wednesday 29 April 20 02:43 BST (UK) »
I ve added a few people over the past few days and added some living people to my trees but with initials only so I can match them to their DNA

I'm not sure of benefits tho for me personally when I have a relative with a closed tree it probably will help remind me how we match especially if the thru lines don't show up because they've spelt the names differently or added a nickname

I was hoping it would help link up to others with small trees or private trees if they can see that I know my connection to one of their known relatives

Does that make sense

What will be seen as a benefit to some will be a unwelcome to others .privacy of dead relatives doesn't seem to count
My 94 year old aunt +90 year old mum  want relatives to be able to find their DNA on tree ...do I have to mark them as dead I. Order for this to happen ?
Roberts,Fellman.Macdermid smith jones,Bloch,Irvine,Hallis Stevenson

Offline Craclyn

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Wednesday 29 April 20 08:56 BST (UK) »
I ve added a few people over the past few days and added some living people to my trees but with initials only so I can match them to their DNA

I'm not sure of benefits tho for me personally when I have a relative with a closed tree it probably will help remind me how we match especially if the thru lines don't show up because they've spelt the names differently or added a nickname

I was hoping it would help link up to others with small trees or private trees if they can see that I know my connection to one of their known relatives

Does that make sense

What will be seen as a benefit to some will be a unwelcome to others .privacy of dead relatives doesn't seem to count
My 94 year old aunt +90 year old mum  want relatives to be able to find their DNA on tree ...do I have to mark them as dead I. Order for this to happen ?

No, you do not need to, and should not, mark your Mum and aunt as dead. Just use their correct names and connect the DNA results to the correct kits. They will show as living on trees, so no details will show to those who have not been given specific viewing rights. Their matches will be able to see where they fit into your tree and work out who they are.

If you are hoping for a benefit from linking your matches to your tree then I would recommend you use names rather than just initials. It is going to be more difficult for the system to compare information and derive suggestions from it if they are comparing apples (names) and pears (initials).
Crackett, Cracket, Webb, Turner, Henderson, Murray, Carr, Stavers, Thornton, Oliver, Davis, Hall, Anderson, Atknin, Austin, Bainbridge, Beach, Bullman, Charlton, Chator, Corbett, Corsall, Coxon, Davis, Dinnin, Dow, Farside, Fitton, Garden, Geddes, Gowans, Harmsworth, Hedderweek, Heron, Hedley, Hunter, Ironside, Jameson, Johnson, Laidler, Leck, Mason, Miller, Milne, Nesbitt, Newton, Parkinson, Piery, Prudow, Reay, Reed, Read, Reid, Robinson, Ruddiman, Smith, Tait, Thompson, Watson, Wilson, Youn

Offline brigidmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Wednesday 29 April 20 11:42 BST (UK) »
Thanks Craclyn very wise

You didn't need to quote all my post it takes a lot of space

My aunt's DNA is  already helpimg someone  work out  her father's birth parent through mutual matches + non matches she now knows who her scottish great grandparents so  father's birth parent was one of 12 siblings

And one .man whose father andgfather died young now knows that his  Scottish great emigrated age 14 to USA as an umbrella maker and we were able to send a photo of her with his grandfather  as a toddler

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Monday 05 December 22 20:02 GMT (UK) »
Has this function disappeared?

My two nieces have DNA tests and today I manage one of their results and noticed they were showing as half-sisters instead of cousins on ThruLines, I changed their mothers' names a bit on the tree so hopefully in a few days that will be sorted but I thought I'd use this link match to tree function as well but couldn't find it, only thing I could find was a YouTube video on how to use it.

Offline brigidmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Monday 05 December 22 21:02 GMT (UK) »
I'm still using it and find it useful that I can be viewing DNA and click on 8con to remind myself how they connect

Also if I'm looking at tree I can click on the icon of a match and go back to DNA match

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Monday 05 December 22 21:23 GMT (UK) »
So can you still see the little icon at the end of matches names?

It's not showing for me on my results, my nieces or my cousin's.

Offline brigidmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Monday 05 December 22 21:34 GMT (UK) »
Yes still on my DNA matches and on my tree

Particularly useful when they don't have a tree

Offline brigidmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Monday 05 December 22 21:39 GMT (UK) »
I only recently realized that if I tap blue symbol on tree profile it takes me back to our DNA match

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Monday 05 December 22 21:42 GMT (UK) »
No not the little green one I have that, the blue one at the end of the matches name, you click on it to set it up, it lets you find the person on your tree so you can link them to your tree.