Author Topic: Zibiah Evans born Hereford  (Read 3522 times)

Offline Talacharn

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Zibiah Evans born Hereford
« Reply #54 on: Monday 30 March 20 15:55 BST (UK) »
The issue is Aran Evans. Both he and his father Daniel married into my family. Most of my family moved in and out of Laugharne, Carmarthenshire. They were chapel-goers and I know those records were lost about 20 years ago.

Apologies. The response I noted, but with Perrin Lee it did not register, all I saw was his name. But the parents and occupation fit, so does the date. There were two traveller couples living in the same places, with the names Daniel and Catherine. I am still looking at it and thinking why? Though Perrin and Lee should only be this family. I found nothing on the GRO for Perrin Lee/Evans. There has been so much offered, of which I am very grateful, as it has opened up whole new areas. but with the different families, I am only now starting to make sense of the dynamics.

I have Aran’s marriage and death certificates and it is spelt that way. I searched on Family Search and the GRO for all with Aaron, Aron and Aran as a first and secondary name. Then I cross-checked them against census records and none fitted. I find it strange, but not surprising, that Matilda has a birth record and baptism, but the mmn is BASS for Boswell. I cannot find a birth registration for Daniel though he was baptised aged 4.

Possible Baptism: John Evans . 13 Apr 1898 . Aberavon, Glamorganshire
(Ref: Digital Folder Number: 004378201) Using Family Search, I cannot see the image for his parents, but Aberavon is a place they regularly gathered; they are there on the 1901 Census.

Birth: Matilda Evans . 1893 . mmn: Bass
(Reference: Oct-Dec 1893 . Swansea  . Volume 11a . Page 841)
Baptism: Matilda Evans . 1893 . Lliw Common . Llandilo T’Bont, Glamorgan . Father's Name: Daniel . Tinman . Mother's Name: Catherine

Birth: Daniel Evans . 1897
Baptism: Daniel Evans . 1901 . Age: 4 .  Pontarddulais . Llandilo T’Bont, Glamorgan . Father's Name: Daniel . Show Business . Mother's Name: Catherine Ann

I accept in both census records there are only 3 children when the 1911 said they had 4 children and all were still living. The date and location fit for Evan to be Aran. As they used traveller names, or English, Evan seems strange in being Welsh. Looking through the older census records, I can nor see why they used Aran/Aaron.

1901 Census . Favi Field, Aberavon, Glamorgan with Daniel Evans and Catherine Evans. Children; Tilly Evans . 7 . Portydulais; Evan Evans . 5 . Swansea and Dan Evans . 3 . Pontypridd . (Ref: Schedule: 310 . Page Number: 58)

1911 Census . Llanfihangel Abercowin . Milford Arms Yard, Saint Clears, Carmarthenshire with Daniel Evans and Catherine Anne Evans.
Children; Matilda Evans . 16 . Pontadulais; Aaron Evans . 14 . Swansea and John Evans . 13 . Pontyfridd . (Ref: RG14 . Schedule 158 . Piece/Folio 315 . GBC/1911/RG14/33027/0315/4)

Offline Talacharn

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: Monday 30 March 20 16:38 BST (UK) »
I can see Perrin being written as Evan, but do not understand Lee, as after Matilda they would know what is expected. My studies are organised and I like that, but I should remember, these probably did not conform to the same logic.

Then I found this - Death: Perrin Lee (Ref: Oct-Dec 1900 . Swansea . Volume: 11a . Page: 560 . Line: 253 . There is no age, so is it the same, or another Perrin Lee from earlier records?

Offline chempat

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: Monday 30 March 20 17:08 BST (UK) »
GRO has the age at death as 0 for Perrin Lee - cannot see birth.

Offline Talacharn

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: Monday 30 March 20 17:16 BST (UK) »
I was about to upload Perrin Lee . 0  in 1900, found on the GRO and could not find a birth.
That leaves the gate open again for Aran.

Offline osprey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: Monday 30 March 20 17:24 BST (UK) »
the Perrin who died in 1900 was 8 months old, he was buried 27 Dec 1900 at St Peter's Cockett, address given as Gorse Road. Age shows as 0 on FreeBmd, so under 1 year. He could be a son of Perrin Brooks Williams Lee who married Pontypridd june qtr 1899.

The John Evans baptised on that date in Aberavon is the son of Edward William, tin plate worker, and Margaret Ellen. A sibling was baptised the same day, Olive Louise. 
Cornwall: Allen, Bevan, Bosisto, Carnpezzack, Donithorn, Huddy, James, Retallack, Russell, Vincent, Yeoman
Cards: Thomas (Llanbadarn Fawr)
Glam: Bowler, Cram, Galloway, James, Thomas, Watkins
Lincs: Coupland, Cram
Mon: Cram, Gwyn, John, Philpot, Smart, Watkins
Pembs: Edwards (St. Dogmael's)
Yorks: Airey, Bowler, Elliott, Hare, Hewitt, Kellett, Kemp, Stephenson, Tebb

Offline Talacharn

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: Tuesday 14 April 20 17:27 BST (UK) »
I have now found a birth registration that I think is Aran Evans, which follows on from a previous comment on this thread and Perrin Lee;
Perran Evans . mmn Voss  (I believe Voss is Boswell)
(Ref: 1895 Jan-Mar . Swansea . Volume 11a . Page 1043)

Of the baptism offered: Perrin Lee . 1895 . Penllergaer . Sketty St. Paul, Glamorgan
Father's Name: Daniel . Peg Maker . Mother's Name: Catherine
I cannot find a birth registration for Perrin Lee, nor a baptism for Perran Evans, so now I am wandering if they are the same person.

As it is Swansea, I feel the question should now be placed on the Glamorganshire board.

Offline osprey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: Tuesday 14 April 20 17:37 BST (UK) »
you could ask a moderator to move the post or start a new post with a link to this one in case people start over on the research.
For what's is worth, I think that birth reg looks a really likely match for the baptism.

:D
Cornwall: Allen, Bevan, Bosisto, Carnpezzack, Donithorn, Huddy, James, Retallack, Russell, Vincent, Yeoman
Cards: Thomas (Llanbadarn Fawr)
Glam: Bowler, Cram, Galloway, James, Thomas, Watkins
Lincs: Coupland, Cram
Mon: Cram, Gwyn, John, Philpot, Smart, Watkins
Pembs: Edwards (St. Dogmael's)
Yorks: Airey, Bowler, Elliott, Hare, Hewitt, Kellett, Kemp, Stephenson, Tebb

Offline Talacharn

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: Tuesday 14 April 20 17:51 BST (UK) »
I don't think it needs to go any further, like Glamorganshire. It seems the name baptised was Perrin Lee acknowledging the Lee family, but Lee has been taken as the surname. The issue I had was Peg Maker, as he always described himself as a showman at fairs, though could have turned out a few pegs when there were no fairs. There is sufficient for me to buy the birth certificate, but I will wait until lock-down ends. Thanks for your help.