Author Topic: Shetland census returns  (Read 1462 times)

Offline Crumblie

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Shetland census returns
« Reply #9 on: Friday 27 March 20 12:10 GMT (UK) »
Although I cannot find a death for either Magnus Or Christina in Scotland I can tell you that they were both deceased by 30 Dec 1903 when their daughter Christina Mary Nisbet married.

Offline knights

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 27 March 20 12:24 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for that information.

Wendy

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 27 March 20 12:38 GMT (UK) »
Was he a fisherman/sailor?

If so he could be under shipping or elsewhere.
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline Crumblie

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 27 March 20 12:44 GMT (UK) »
I have seen him described as both, when his daughter married in 1903 his occupation was given as sailor. Two of his children moved to England so it is possible they both died there.

Offline Crumblie

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 27 March 20 13:02 GMT (UK) »
I have just looked at the birth of Christina Mary Nisbet which was on 10 Oct 1872 at 1 Burns Lane, Lerwick. The birth was registered by her mother and her father appears to have still been living and his occupation was sailor.

Offline ruthhelen

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 27 March 20 13:08 GMT (UK) »
Wilhelmina Nisbet married in London in 1900, and her father is noted as a sailor (deceased).

There is a crew list for the ship Lady Rowena from 1876 that has a Magnus Nisbet, aged 35, born Shetland. He joined the ship on 13 Sep 1875 from Liverpool, and was discharged on 25 Aug 1876 at Liverpool.

Ruth
McArthur, Milne, Mitchell, Black, Robertson, Morrison, Slessor, Lawrence - Aberdeenshire/Banffshire. Muir, Waddell, Fraser, Orr, Cowden - Lanarkshire/Renfrewshire/Dunbartonshire. Dalziel, Dalzell, Gourley, Cromie, Crombie, Bell - Co Down. Lewis, Corrigan, Morris, Cox, Hay - Monmouthshire/Pembrokeshire.  Baker, Ginger, Woodhurst, Swift, Jones - Kent/London.

Offline knights

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 27 March 20 13:29 GMT (UK) »
Hello Ruth, I am doing this tree for the granddaughter of Wilhelmina, is the marriage on Anc****y? 

I can't see a marriage at all for her but from the 1911 census they state they have been married 11 years.

Thank you for the crew list will take a look.

Wendy

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 27 March 20 13:35 GMT (UK) »
Hello Ruth, I am doing this tree for the granddaughter of Wilhelmina, is the marriage on Anc****y?
It is on FreeBMD https://www.freebmd.org.uk/cgi/search.pl

Since Ancestry just copies the information on FreeBMD I'd expect it to be there too, but always best to go closest to the source.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Friday 27 March 20 13:36 GMT (UK) »
I can't seem to locate my Nisbit family from the Shetlands on any census are they in a different place than FindMyPast.
The originals of the Scottish censuses ar at www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk - FindMyPast has only transcriptions, and they don't keep strictly to the information in the original documents.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.