Author Topic: Small moments of pleasure in isolation  (Read 9319 times)

Offline candleflame

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Small moments of pleasure in isolation
« Reply #126 on: Wednesday 17 June 20 16:06 BST (UK) »
My daughter text to say that she has an appointment at a Clarks shoe shop on Friday to get the boys feet measured. So they'll hopefully get some properly fitted shoes soon . ( for those not in uk, , many of us grew up in Clarks shoes professionally measured ). Some may say what's the point as you can get shoes in supermarkets and yes you can - that's what they've been wearing these last few months, but she prefers them to have at least one pair of Clarks each.
North East of England

Online ThrelfallYorky

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: Wednesday 17 June 20 16:11 BST (UK) »
I got really nostalgic when in the Shoe Museum in Street, Somerset, I saw my little Clarks sandals with the petal-like cut outs!! Aaaah.
Threlfall (Southport), Isherwood (lancs & Canada), Newbould + Topliss(Derby), Keating & Cummins (Ireland + lancs), Fisher, Strong& Casson (all Cumberland) & Downie & Bowie, Linlithgow area Scotland . Also interested in Leigh& Burrows,(Lancashire) Griffiths (Shropshire & lancs), Leaver (Lancs/Yorks) & Anderson(Cumberland and very elusive)

Offline Rena

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copyright: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: Wednesday 17 June 20 18:11 BST (UK) »
I got really nostalgic when in the Shoe Museum in Street, Somerset, I saw my little Clarks sandals with the petal-like cut outs!! Aaaah.

We too had a new pair of those each summer but only for "best".    We got an extra season's wear out of last year's sandals by my father cutting off part of the leather uppers to show our toes.
Aberdeen: Findlay-Shirras,McCarthy: MidLothian: Mason,Telford,Darling,Cruikshanks,Bennett,Sime, Bell: Lanarks:Crum, Brown, MacKenzie,Cameron, Glen, Millar; Ross: Urray:Mackenzie:  Moray: Findlay; Marshall/Marischell: Perthshire: Brown Ferguson: Wales: McCarthy, Thomas: England: Almond, Askin, Dodson, Well(es). Harrison, Maw, McCarthy, Munford, Pye, Shearing, Smith, Smythe, Speight, Strike, Wallis/Wallace, Ward, Wells;Germany: Flamme,Ehlers, Bielstein, Germer, Mohlm, Reupke

Online Gibel

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: Wednesday 17 June 20 19:56 BST (UK) »
My Dad used to do that too Rena! In the Easter holidays a trip was made to the local shoe shop Willimotts ( can’t remember how you spell it) in Sidcup High Street for sandals.They were brown with a t strap and the petal cut outs. When it was getting to the end of the summer holidays out came the Stanley knife and the toe was cut out by Dad! Not long ago I found a photo and there I am with my sandals with the toes cut out.

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me aged 3. Tidied up thanks to Wiggy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: Wednesday 17 June 20 20:21 BST (UK) »
Was it Clarkes that had a that x-ray machine to measure your feet - looked it up and it was called a  Pedoscope. Surely they weren't real x-rays?
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: Thursday 18 June 20 12:13 BST (UK) »
I grew up in New Zealand and yes we had Clarks shoes and measuring there when I was a child :)
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Offline josey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: Thursday 18 June 20 12:20 BST (UK) »
Seeking: RC baptism Philip Murray Feb ish 1814 ? nr Chatham Kent.
IRE: Kik DRAY[EA], PURCELL, WHITE: Mea LYNCH: Tip MURRAY, SHEEDY: Wem ALLEN, ENGLISHBY; Dub PENROSE: Lim DUNN[E], FRAWLEY, WILLIAMS.
87th Regiment RIF: MURRAY
ENG; Marylebone HAYTER, TROU[W]SDALE, WILLIAMS,DUNEVAN Con HAMPTON, TREMELLING Wry CLEGG, HOLLAND, HORSEFIELD Coventry McGINTY
CAN; Halifax & Pictou: HOLLAND, WHITE, WILLIAMSON