Author Topic: Small moments of pleasure in isolation  (Read 9292 times)

Offline ThrelfallYorky

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Small moments of pleasure in isolation
« Reply #18 on: Sunday 29 March 20 15:36 BST (UK) »
Cats can be wonderful company, and often seem to sense if you're feeling down, and snuggle up to you.
Threlfall (Southport), Isherwood (lancs & Canada), Newbould + Topliss(Derby), Keating & Cummins (Ireland + lancs), Fisher, Strong& Casson (all Cumberland) & Downie & Bowie, Linlithgow area Scotland . Also interested in Leigh& Burrows,(Lancashire) Griffiths (Shropshire & lancs), Leaver (Lancs/Yorks) & Anderson(Cumberland and very elusive)

Offline mare

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Monday 30 March 20 03:03 BST (UK) »
Agree with that TY, don't have one these days myself though. Neighbourhood cats frequent our yard, a very new arrival is quite a friendly tail less ginger, not sure if true manx  :-\ and don't know where it lives but happy to roll on back around me as does a handsome black and white tom regularly, however  both unfortunately could really be on the  'Visitors to your birdtable' thread as very keen on stalking birds and invite a growling from me.

Nice to step outside to pick a handful of ripened tomatoes at lunchtime today, plants looking a bit expired for efforts but more green ones on them  :)

Online mckha489

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Monday 30 March 20 06:10 BST (UK) »
I am on a big gardening exercise.
Pruning, chopping, weeding. As I expose the ground insects are flying every where and in come the fantails.  They move too quickly for this amateur photographer but

https://images.app.goo.gl/bpf5NbExokptCSnA6

They have such a loud friendly chirp, and now there is no noise from traffic they are just delightful they come very close, much like a robin would  in an  English garden.

We have also noticed that the grey herons http://www.nzbirdsonline.org.nz/species/white-faced-heron. That usually fly in in the evening to roost in our oak trees (planted to celebrate the coronation of QE 2 - our house is in the grounds of an old primary school) are now flying in all the time. I am sure it is the no traffic thing that is affecting them.

Offline Flattybasher9

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Manners cost nothing, and are worth the effort.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Monday 30 March 20 06:37 BST (UK) »
Well, I had a small moment of pleasure on Sunday. The OH went out for some shopping, so I lay down on my bed. And there it was.
Pure delight.
It lasted for about 20 minutes.
Ahhhhhh.  :o::)  :o::)  :o::)

She had forgotten her purse, and did not realise it until she got to the shops, so had to come home and interrupted my heaven.
20 minutes of no hoovering, asking me to do one job or another, tidying up my stuff, clunking of dishes, etc, etc.
It was bliss.

Malky.

Offline Llwyd

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Searching,forever searching!!!.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Monday 30 March 20 20:16 BST (UK) »
Watching "Only Connect" on BBC2 as I type. I don't pretend to get any answers correct but I'm fairly good at the "missing vowels" round.
Oh, and I had a good lie in until 0825 this morning - clocks going forward and making it darker in the morning, if only temporarily.
 :)
Humphreys; originating in Montgomeryshire and spreading out locally, nationally and internationally.
"Yma o hyd".

Offline Roobarb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Looking for that elusive branch!
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Monday 30 March 20 20:54 BST (UK) »

Oh, and I had a good lie in until 0825 this morning - clocks going forward and making it darker in the morning, if only temporarily.
 :)

That's a lie in??  ??? I think all the other Rootschatters must get up before I do.
Bell, Salter, Street - Devon, Middlesbrough.
Lickess- North Yorkshire, Middlesbrough.
Etherington - North Yorks and Durham.
Barker- North Yorks
Crooks- Durham
Forster- North Yorks/Durham
Newsam, Pattison, Proud - North Yorks.
Timothy, Griffiths, Jones - South Wales

Offline Milliepede

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Monday 30 March 20 22:23 BST (UK) »
Seeing tulips starting to flower.  Love tulips and often treat myself to a bunch from the supermarket.  Not had any of late as food supplies are more important. 
Hinchliffe - Huddersfield Wiltshire
Burroughs - Arlingham Glos
Pick - Frocester Glos

Offline candleflame

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Monday 30 March 20 22:35 BST (UK) »
Being sent today's photos of what our grandsons have been up to. They are 3 and 19 months and we normally look after them 3 days a week and then go with them to watch them swimming and help on a Friday so a huge part of our week.
North East of England

Offline mare

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Tuesday 31 March 20 14:47 BST (UK) »
Your place and routine must seem a lot quieter without the little ones there and being so much part of their care, CF. The videos and facetime do help and we're able to keep up regularly with that too, not quite the same as having them with you though is it. We live 3 hours drive from our granddaughters and our plans for visiting among the many cancellations we've had to make but with everyone doing the same have quite easily adapted. Miss not quite 6 and miss very nearly 6 months are quite delightful, their family bubble well and happy which is the main thing. Plenty to keep older one amused, play learning and a very big yard to run and play when she's not amusing the baby with various other activity.

Not so many children around our place, just 2 schoolboys 7 and 16 from 2 separate houses alongside driveway and have only heard the younger one playing with his dad outside. There are usually some loud and boisterous children occasionally a few houses over in another street, think they must just get hyped up with mates and visitors perhaps  :)  Have friends living across from one corner and their young adult daughters have been doing some Irish dance practice on the deck, a familiar sound as ours used to do same back in the day  :)   

Peaceful neighbourhood is nice, very few dogs as well but when one barks another does ... and one does like to do a siren impression sometimes  :D Think perhaps fewer sirens than usual with less traffic etc but still some each day, also the police helicopter a regular around here but feel pretty safe and content enough being a homebody and choice of walks around the block to blow out cobwebs  ;D