Author Topic: Ireland 1901 Census  (Read 2029 times)

Offline rvchrr

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Ireland 1901 Census
« on: Saturday 28 March 20 12:53 GMT (UK) »
Can anyone tell me when the 1901 census for the Republic of Ireland was first opened for public access?  Was there access to the paper records before it became available digitally and online?  If so when was that?  Investigating the provenance of a handwritten family tree and trying to determine whether the author may have had access to that census to compile some of it.

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Ireland 1901 Census
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 28 March 20 13:19 GMT (UK) »

Not to general Public but could be looked up for Legal purposes by a Solicitor etc....

Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 28 March 20 15:40 GMT (UK) »

Offline moscan

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • The next generation
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 28 March 20 15:51 GMT (UK) »
since the earlier census records were sadly destroyed in 1922 the 1901 and 1911 census returns were released early in 1961 the Archives office had the original boxes with the household return sheets in them and it was those early boxes I first searched for my family.  Since the internet and the placing of the images for free online it is an amazing resource for anyone doing Irish research.   Surviving census fragments and substitutes for 1821-51 are also on the free website link below

http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/
All census look up transcriptions are Crown Copyright<br /><br />Researching: - Freear, Walker, Aston, Scanlan, Courtney, Lowth, O’Sulivan, McDonnell, Condon, McMahon, McKay, Brock, Gourlay, Busby<br /><br />Locations: - March in Cambridgeshire, Banbury in Oxfordshire, Mileham in Norfolk, Worcester, Evesham, Claines in Worcestershire, Birmingham. Dublin, Cork, Fermanagh in Ireland.  Glasgow, Stirling in Scotland

Offline rvchrr

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 28 March 20 15:53 GMT (UK) »
Many thanks folks.  Feel I must have looked at this page referring to the 1961 release but have obviously overlooked the relevant sentence!  Was sure in my mind that they were opened early for the reasons stated.  Usefully that gives me a five year window in which my author may have accessed them.

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 28 March 20 16:54 GMT (UK) »

Was tere ever a family problem with Inheritance or someone dying without leaving a Will?

Offline rvchrr

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 28 March 20 17:01 GMT (UK) »
Hallmark thanks.  No, the tree appears to have been compiled purely for family interest.  As with so many trees some parts seem very accurate, others a bit woolly, others completely new info not discovered elsewhere.  So at present trying to form a view on how much is based on solid (and possibly re-discoverable evidence) and how much might be irreplaceable family lore.

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 28 March 20 17:05 GMT (UK) »

They could easily have done it by Civil Registrations.... what makes you think it was Census?

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 28 March 20 17:09 GMT (UK) »

Could someone have gone to a church to get Births, Marriages, Deaths, names from gravestones etc etc...?