Author Topic: HMS Monarch 1880s - In Malta  (Read 2269 times)

Offline MJBatten

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: HMS Monarch 1880s - In Malta
« Reply #27 on: Saturday 02 May 20 10:17 BST (UK) »
Thank you for all this info.

I had a look, unfortunately, they don’t re-issue medals that were issued before WW2 now, unless they are medals like the Victoria Cross etc.

So Joseph was late a lot. Makes sense. I wonder if that’s why I can’t find him on the 1881 census :) haha. He was supposed to be onboard HMS Briton which I have found the census for, but he’s not on the census for it. Knowing the Battens in my family, being AWOL doesn’t surprise me :)

MJ

Offline Stob Ban

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Saturday 02 May 20 14:31 BST (UK) »
Hi MJ,    I normally deal mostly with Genealogy, prefer Scottish interests, and have accumulated a mass of peoples names and Batten came up in a search.  I came up with some Batten names, and co-incidentally, low and behold, came up with three Battens interred into the Royal Navy.
I'll put the briefest of details of them, hopingly you may recognise the names. A big maybe!! They come from the 1911 census era. Two are English, one Irish.

Royal Navy: James Batten, aged 29, From C/O Wicklow. Dublin.     Royal Navy: Harry Batten, aged  23, From Kent. England.    Royal Navy:  Arthur G Batten, aged 22,  Hants, England.  One or two Batten's I have downloaded have served in The Royal Yacht, Britannia.

As I see it from the Ships Listings  Joseph did serve onboard HMS Briton, from 30th March 1881  till 30th April 1884.  Subsequently, joining the Duke of Wellington  on 1 May 1884.    He  picked up his Able Seaman's rate on board Briton. The reason he was not on the 1881 Census Form, he was at sea on HMS Briton for three years.............................Ron.

Offline Crumblie

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Saturday 02 May 20 14:49 BST (UK) »
From what I have read online the Egypt Medal and the Khedive Star were clasps to be added to the Ashanti Medal.

Offline Stob Ban

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Saturday 02 May 20 14:52 BST (UK) »
Ah right.  Now you will know for sure. 

Offline MJBatten

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Saturday 02 May 20 15:48 BST (UK) »
Hi Ron,

Yes, the two English Battens are descendants. We all seem to come from the one family from Somerset way back, obviously they all moved out. There was a story that at some point we are related to Sir William Batten (Mount Batten in Plymouth is named after him). https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_Batten - but I haven't been able to find a link, but probably distant cousins somewhere.

I did have a question about Joseph Batten the father's navy record. I wasn't sure what the writing at the end of his service meant. To be honest the handwriting isn't great haha.

Cheers,

MJ

Offline Stob Ban

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Saturday 02 May 20 15:59 BST (UK) »

Offline Stob Ban

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Sunday 03 May 20 20:01 BST (UK) »
Was Joseph here your father and were the dates indicated 20th century  Too, was ''your father'' ever serve in submarines.  The first ship is HMS Ajax the other two were  submarines.  The character: two were good, one very good. The line second from bottom reads, G & L Trace sent 6 December 76.  Bottom line....Reads  W.  1st March 77.  The scribble to the right and up a little  reads:  Trinal of Service Refuted.

Offline MJBatten

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Sunday 03 May 20 20:04 BST (UK) »
Hi Ron,

Joseph was the father of the Diver Joseph Henry Batten. I just wasn't sure what G & L TRACE and Service Refuted etc? What happened ad what do those scribbles mean?

MJ

Offline Stob Ban

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Monday 04 May 20 15:32 BST (UK) »
I presume the word Trinal was an abbrev: of the word Tribunal  and the sentence in it's entirety would be found in The Royal Navy Queens Regulations. Her Majesty Queen Victoria of course.  i.e. 'Tribunal Of Service Refuted'. The date 1864.