Author Topic: William ROSE  (Read 1935 times)

Offline fred21

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: William ROSE
« Reply #18 on: Tuesday 31 March 20 08:57 BST (UK) »
Wm Rose from Tenterton, Kent was in the 57th according to the record on Ancestry.  This Wm Rose is William Rose.

Wm Rose and William Rose are the same person.  Both from Tenterton, both were labourers in the army,

Of course it's not 100% certain but it's pretty certain as I can't imagine there were two William Rose's from Tenterton who were labourers etc.
Wildermoth/Wildermouth (Ireland, England, France); Byrne, Whelan, Keenan (Ireland); Ellis (Cornwall); Bambrough (Durham), Newman (Durham and Norfolk); Watson (Durham); Mattison (Yorkshire); Kirker (New Zealand and Ireland); Pirie (Scotland); Campton (unknown);

Online mckha489

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Tuesday 31 March 20 09:02 BST (UK) »
He was in the army 57th Foot Reigment and his rank was Private

Where was this information recorded in relation to a Martha?

Offline fred21

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Tuesday 31 March 20 09:24 BST (UK) »
Okay I'll do my best to explain the links...

Martha's marriage certificates say that her father was William Rose, labourer and that she was born in Kent in 1824.  This same information is on her death certificate.

Searching through records on Family Search, FindMyPast, Ancestry and FreeReg there are only  a couple of contenders for Martha that match or a very close to this information.

1. Martha Rose bapt 1821 in West Wickham daughter of George Rose - but this can't be my Martha as father is wrong and she also stayed in Kent and appears in census records in the UK for 1851, 1861 etc.

The only other contender was a Mary Rose bapt in 1824 who is a daughter of William.  This William also appears in the census for Maidstone which matches up with Martha who married there.  He is also a labourer and his birthplace is Tenterton, Kent c1787 (going by his age on the various census)

This William Rose then matched up with a Wm Rose born 1787 in Tenterton who is a labourer and who did some military service in the 57th.

Hope that helps.  I've condensed everything as explaining all the different avenues of research etc would take several pages.  We just basically checked hundreds of records and went through a process of elimination and joining the dots.

Possibly this is all wrong but as we can only go on the information supplied on the certificates etc it was the best we could do.

If you can find a Martha Elizabeth Rose whose father was William and mother Ann who was from Kent and born c1824 then that's great and would be greatly appreciated.

Wildermoth/Wildermouth (Ireland, England, France); Byrne, Whelan, Keenan (Ireland); Ellis (Cornwall); Bambrough (Durham), Newman (Durham and Norfolk); Watson (Durham); Mattison (Yorkshire); Kirker (New Zealand and Ireland); Pirie (Scotland); Campton (unknown);

Online bearkat

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Tuesday 31 March 20 09:25 BST (UK) »
[
Can anyone see the image for the baptism of Mercy Rose at Boxley Kent 26 Feb 1832?
I want to see what this William's occupation was then.

and the marriage of Hannah COLLISON to William ROSE 8 May 1817, Headcorn, Kent.

The only additional info for the marriage (from transcript) of Hannah & William is that she was from Headcorn and William from Chart Sutton.  They married by banns 8 Nov 1817 at Headcorn.
Middx - VAUS, ROBERTS, EVERSFIELD, INMAN, STAR, HOLBECK, WYATT, BICKFORD, SMITH, REDWOOD
Hants - SMALL, HAMMERTON, GRIST, FRYER, TRODD, DAGWELL, PARKER, WOODFORD, CROUTEAR, BECK, BENDELL, KEEPING, HARDING, BULL
Kent - BAYLY, BORER, MITCHELL, PLANE, VERNON, FARRANCE, CHAPMAN, MEDHURST, LOMAX, WYATT, IDEN
Devon - TOPE, BICKFORD, FOSTER
YKS - QUIRK, McGUIRE, BENN
Nott/Derbs - SLACK
Herts - BARNES
L'pool- PLUMBE
 All UK census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online mckha489

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Tuesday 31 March 20 09:28 BST (UK) »
Can you please link me to a census for the William born in Tenterden who is in Maidstone?

I can only see the one I posted, with wife Hannah

Offline fred21

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Tuesday 31 March 20 09:31 BST (UK) »
I meant 1783 not 1787 for William - his sister charlotte was born in 1787.

Online bearkat

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Middx - VAUS, ROBERTS, EVERSFIELD, INMAN, STAR, HOLBECK, WYATT, BICKFORD, SMITH, REDWOOD
Hants - SMALL, HAMMERTON, GRIST, FRYER, TRODD, DAGWELL, PARKER, WOODFORD, CROUTEAR, BECK, BENDELL, KEEPING, HARDING, BULL
Kent - BAYLY, BORER, MITCHELL, PLANE, VERNON, FARRANCE, CHAPMAN, MEDHURST, LOMAX, WYATT, IDEN
Devon - TOPE, BICKFORD, FOSTER
YKS - QUIRK, McGUIRE, BENN
Nott/Derbs - SLACK
Herts - BARNES
L'pool- PLUMBE
 All UK census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online mckha489

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Tuesday 31 March 20 17:42 BST (UK) »
The William and Hannah in Maidstone 1841 and 1851, and Bearsted in 1861 do indeed look to be the likely parents of Martha Elizabeth even though a baptism cannot be found.

I certainly don't think she is the Mary who was baptised in Chatham to a William (soldier) and wife Ann.

William in Maidstone was indeed a Labourer but was not born in Tenterden.

As already stated he married Hannah in 1817 and his parish at the time was Chart Sutton, Kent.  They appear to have children as follows:

Susanna bp.13/6/1819 Chart Sutton
William bp.26/11/1820 Chart Sutton (he is later living in Maidstone too)
Ann bp.5/2/1826 Boxley
Eliza bp.25/5/1827 Boxley
George bp.3/8/1828 Boxley
Mercy bp.26/2/1832 Boxley
Thomas bp.27/8/1833 Maidstone
John bp.6/1/1837 Maidstone

On every single baptism William is shown as a labourer.

So, it would appear that William (of Chart Sutton when he married) and wife Hannah were in Chart Sutton from 1817-1820 and by 1826 had moved to Boxley.  In Boxley 1826-1832 and by 1833 had moved to Maidstone where they remained for some while.

There is a 'gap' in the baptisms from 1821 to 1825, the requisite timeframe for Martha Elizabeth to have been born, this could be due to their moving from Chart Sutton to Boxley and maybe Martha's baptism was somehow overlooked.  Who can say?   

However, since William was a labourer on all the baptisms of his children 1819 to 1837 he simply cannot be the soldier baptising a daughter Mary in Chatham in 1824 with a wife named Ann.  Considering said Mary as your Martha Elizabeth is, I think, just clutching at straws.   William, a labourer with a wife Hannah, and William, a soldier, with a wife named Ann are clearly two different couples.

Unless Martha Elizabeth Roses' baptism surfaces at some time in the future I think you just have to accept that for whatever reason it is 'missing'.

The census states that William Rose was bc.1798 Ulcombe, Kent - he was baptised 30/7/1797 Ulcombe, son of John and Martha, and so Martha Elizabeth no doubt named after her paternal grandmother.

Annette

Scopes (One-Name Study - Worldwide)
Suffolk - Grist, Knights, Bullenthorpe, Watcham
Scotland - Spence, Horne, Cowan, Moffat
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk