Author Topic: William Freeke  (Read 597 times)

Offline emeltom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
William Freeke
« on: Tuesday 31 March 20 10:47 BST (UK) »
William Freeke/Freek/Feake etc married Hester Stone in Bitton 1745.

I am looking for his birth/baptism. From info I have found on line he was born c1724 in Gloucestershire, possibly Westbury on Trym. His father may, or may not have been called Philip. Sorry to be a bit vague, I'm just trying to confirm what I have found on line.

Also a birth/baptism for Heatsre Stone c 1725 possibly Bristol.

Many thanks,

Emeltom
Smith Tiplady Boulton Branthwaite King Miller Woolfall Bretherton Archer and many more

Offline Milliepede

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: William Freeke
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 31 March 20 11:37 BST (UK) »
There's a Hester Stone baptism 18 Feb 1726 at Syston (don't know whereabouts that is) Glos with parents

Jno Stone & Mary Stone
Hinchliffe - Huddersfield Wiltshire
Burroughs - Arlingham Glos
Pick - Frocester Glos

Offline emeltom

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 31 March 20 12:10 BST (UK) »
Thanks Millipede. I had seen that one but.... there is a burial for a Hester Stone in Syston in 1729. Unfortunately only a transcription and no age or parents given, so I'm not sure if it is the same Hester and have no idea how to prove it, one way or the other. The Register entry may (or may not) state whether or not she was an infant. If she was they that baptism can be discounted.

Emeltom
Smith Tiplady Boulton Branthwaite King Miller Woolfall Bretherton Archer and many more

Offline Milliepede

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 01 April 20 11:52 BST (UK) »
One here Syston for Hester Stone burial 21 Jul 1730, you can view the original but it just has her name nothing after like some of the other entries  :(

I wonder if that is significant?  If it was daughter of or widow of would be more helpful.  But it might help that there are more than one, the baptism could well be one of these burials and rule her out.

Oh just noticed the transcription for the one you mention in 1729 was also 21 Jul so same person?
Hinchliffe - Huddersfield Wiltshire
Burroughs - Arlingham Glos
Pick - Frocester Glos

Offline emeltom

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 01 April 20 12:14 BST (UK) »
I'd say that it is the same person. I was hoping the original might have said 'infant' to signify a child. As it obviously doesn't it is impossible to say whether that is the infant Hester, daughter of John and Mary, or an adult called Hester who could have been any age.

Thanks for looking all the same.

Emeltom

Offline Capetown

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 01 April 20 17:20 BST (UK) »
There are two different entries for the Marriage of William - the second one, names him as Will FREAK and the quite a number of Burials, Marriages, and Baptisms at Bitton with the surname FREAK.

Bitton Families also has transcribed many baptisms/marriages/death

http://www.bittonfamilies.com

---

The Bitton Parish History Group

http://www.bittonhistory.org.uk

Have a page :

The Short Family

'The name of Short was not uncommon in South Gloucestershire and the first census in 1841 is the first firm evidence of how well established the family was in the parish of Bitton.  In the 18th century, Jacob, Robert, Jonathan, William and his son William were born in the area and many of them married in St Mary's Church Bitton.'

---

There is a tree on the 'net' which states

William FREKE -1724-1790 and Hester STONE had 3 children

Jane
Rose
William

----

Family names should come in here somewhere..

for examples

John stone married Hannah PRICE, 13 December 1741 at Bitton (on Bitton Family website)

and

December 25 1763, Henry STONE, aged 17 (?11) years, buried, parents: Thomas & Jane

Offline barryd

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 01 April 20 19:07 BST (UK) »
Freeke, Freak, Freek etc., etc.. The name is known to have been predominately in County Durham and I have some in my distant lines. I can imagine the ladies with that name were  looking forward to getting married. Before your I post have not come across any except in County Durham.

Offline emeltom

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 01 April 20 19:25 BST (UK) »
I have William's marriage to Hester Stone and also the baptisms for Jane and Rose.

I found a tree which gives William's birtg as 1724 in Westbury on Trym, father Philip but cannot find anything to confirm this. The same tree also has Hester Stone born 1725 in Bristol but again nothing to confirm this.

Emeltom