Author Topic: Bissell Quaker Family of Henly-in-Arden, Late 1600's  (Read 318 times)

Offline JamesBond

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Bissell Quaker Family of Henly-in-Arden, Late 1600's
« on: Tuesday 31 March 20 16:19 BST (UK) »
I'm researching a Bissell family in my family tree. They appear to have been Quaker, living in Henly-in-Arden. The husband & wife/parents were John (died I think 1728 Henly-in-Arden) & Mary Bissell. Children being John (1688), Mary (1689), Sarah (1690), Hannah (1692), James (1693), Josiah (1695), Nathaniel (1698), George (1700), Elizabeth (1703) & Esther (1705). I found their births in non-conformist archives on familysearch.org.

I'd like to know who John's parents were & that of his wife, whoever she was (I've seen her maiden name in various places as Watts, but no marriage date). Secondly, I've seen on bmdregisters.co.uk that Henly-in-Arden had a meeting from about 1669-1754, so what meeting would John's parents have attended before 1669? Any help welcome & appreciated.

Offline maddys52

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.
    • View Profile
Re: Bissell Quaker Family of Henly-in-Arden, Late 1600's
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 01 April 20 02:18 BST (UK) »
Doesn't help with his family, however there is a John BISSELL, Quaker, "of Fulforth-heath" prosecuted for withholding tithes in 1715, sentenced to prison for 20 weeks on 28 January 1715. Details of the case are in
"A vindication of a book intituled A brief account of many of the prosecutions of the people call'd Quakers, &c. ... With an appendix, in reply to the objections of two clergymen of the diocese call'd St. David's" by Joseph BESSE published 1739.

Offline JamesBond

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Bissell Quaker Family of Henly-in-Arden, Late 1600's
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 01 April 20 02:53 BST (UK) »
That's a good lead. There may have been two John Bissells at that time, being my John had a son John born early enough to be the one that witheld tithes. I'll have to check that out. Thanks!