Author Topic: Directory look up Cheltenham pre-1844  (Read 1608 times)

Offline annmarg

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Directory look up Cheltenham pre-1844
« on: Monday 22 August 05 10:18 BST (UK) »
Does anyone have a directory of Cheltenham residents pre-1844?  I have been trying unsuccessfully to find William Wasley (died 1844) and wife Mary.  I believe he lived at Hyde Farm, Hyde Lane in the Swindon/Prestbury area of Cheltenham, and would like to know if that is correct or not.  If anyone can help, I would be very grateful.

Offline annmarg

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Directory look up Cheltenham pre-1844
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 23 August 05 11:57 BST (UK) »
I have just discovered that there was another Hyde Farm in the Gloucester Rd/Alstone area of Cheltenham, so maybe that is the one.

Offline Victor Harvey

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Victor is very ill, this account will close soon.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 03 August 11 09:56 BST (UK) »
I've been to Cheltenham Library to check out your data request.  Cheltenham Annuaires, pre-1844 ONLY list the Gentry and Tradesmen.  I checked back to 1837. 
The only WASLEY I found was one Thomas WASLEY, Carrier variously trading from 224 & 241 High Street.
HARVEY, Guiting Power, Glos                     
PORTER, Gunmakers of Whitechapel
ALLEN - Blockley, BOWLES - Notgrove, BURROWS - Sevenhampton, COOK - Notgrove, DRINKWATER-LUNN - Aston Cross, FARDON - Temple Guiting, FAULKNER - Cheltenham, GADEN, GAYDEN, GAYDON, GRINHAM - Cheltenham, HART - Stow-on-the-Wold, LANE - Staverton, MOABY - Coln St Aldwyns, STAITE - Temple Guiting, TIMBRELL - Winchcombe, TYSOE - Warks & Glos, WHITFORD - Stanway, WINTLE - Forest of Dean, WYNNIATT - Stanway

Offline annmarg

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 03 August 11 10:10 BST (UK) »
Many thanks for looking it up for us.  Thomas Wasley was the brother of William.  I was interested that you are a Cheltenham Harvey - my husband's family are Cheltenham Harveys - are you related to George Harvey b 1840 Cheltenham, the son of  John Harvey born Bath around 1801.  George had 9 siblings all born Cheltenham, married Elizabeth Ann Saunders and had 2 sons and 2 daughters.  Most of the family were in the printing business.
Best wishes,
Ann Harvey

Offline Victor Harvey

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Victor is very ill, this account will close soon.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 03 August 11 10:44 BST (UK) »
My Harvey family hail from Guiting Power in the Cotswolds circa 1767, although many of them are now living in Cheltenham.
Unfortunately we don't interface.
HARVEY, Guiting Power, Glos                     
PORTER, Gunmakers of Whitechapel
ALLEN - Blockley, BOWLES - Notgrove, BURROWS - Sevenhampton, COOK - Notgrove, DRINKWATER-LUNN - Aston Cross, FARDON - Temple Guiting, FAULKNER - Cheltenham, GADEN, GAYDEN, GAYDON, GRINHAM - Cheltenham, HART - Stow-on-the-Wold, LANE - Staverton, MOABY - Coln St Aldwyns, STAITE - Temple Guiting, TIMBRELL - Winchcombe, TYSOE - Warks & Glos, WHITFORD - Stanway, WINTLE - Forest of Dean, WYNNIATT - Stanway

Offline kenwas

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Thomas Wasley Carrier Cheltenham
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 16 February 22 11:03 GMT (UK) »
I believe I am a descendant of Thomas Wasley born about 1790 and who was a Carrier operating from High Street Cheltenham.  I have seen old posts on this site that refer to him and was wondering if there was any updated information about Thomas.

Offline sarah

• Administrator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • RootsChat Co-Founder
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 16 February 22 13:22 GMT (UK) »
Hi kenwas and Welcome to RootsChat.

I have just merged your new reply to the topic that interests you so that the member will be notified of your reply and interest.

Regards

Sarah :)
For Help on how to post an Image on RootsChat
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=459330.0

If you have been helped on RootsChat be sure to spread the word!

UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Capetown

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 16 February 22 20:17 GMT (UK) »
1830 Pigots Directory of Cheltenham, just lists

WASLEY Thomas, Butcher - 308 High Street.

--------

Searching the National Archives (just Google A2a) and  there are these hits for Thomas Wasley - and held at the Gloucestershire Archives : and should be on Ancestry

Memoranda of Convictions, general
Date: 1833

Gloucestershire Quarter Sessions, REGISTRATION, ENROLMENT AND DEPOSIT SUMMARY JURISDICTION. Memoranda of convictions, general, William MANN and Thomas WASLEY at Cheltenham R.C. Cooper, JP and T Newell, JP at Cheltenham, Fined £1.10s. 0d. and 5/- cost, or two calendar months in Northleach House of Correction.  Crime committed 13 March

---
another one dated 1833, John THOMAS assultating Thomas WASLEY at Cheltenham

----

1834, Browning Assaulting Thomas WASLEY at Cheltenham

etc etc.

---

British Newspapers on line
Evening Mail, Wednesday 27 May 1837

Married - on the 23rd inst., at St Mary's Church, Cheltenham, By the Reve Charles Herbert, George ZEIL Esq., of Calcutta to Elizabeth third daughter of Thomas WASLEY., Esq of Cheltenham

Offline Capetown

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 16 February 22 20:29 GMT (UK) »
British Newspapers on Line.

Worcester Journal - Thursday 23 July 1812.  (so Thomas was in Cheltenham in 1812)

Rd JEFFERIES, for stealing a watch from the house of Thos. WASLEY at Cheltenham

----

Gloucestershire Chronicle 1836

Gloucester County Petty Sessions, Shire-Hall, Saturday

Caution: Jacob SHORT, a carter to Mr Wasley, of Cheltenham, was fined 40s. for breaking down the fences on the road between this city and Cheltenham.  The defendant was  detected by Hill, deputy surveyor of roads, who stated that it had been a constant practice for some time past to destroy and steal the fence on the road in general and by which the Commissioners had been put to the expense of  ??  The Magistrates expressed their determination to punish severely any parties who might be brought before them on a similar charge.

---

In 1828, various people were accused for stealling a bacon-ham the property of T Wasley of Cheltenham.

---

There are other hits - for Wasley Cheltenham - even later on.