Author Topic: 1851 Census Lookup Hemel Hempstead William GURNEY  (Read 2801 times)

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
Re: 1851 Census Lookup Hemel Hempstead William GURNEY
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 04 July 19 13:29 BST (UK) »
https://www.wikitree.com/wiki/Gurney-356

Quote from that;
Mary Burrell formerly Gurney aka Grainey

The birth record for daughter Martha Bessie (known as Bessie) shows Mary as a Londoner.

Strange that this person is "Mary Bridget" on birth records for children 8, 9,10,11.

I may be clutching at straws here but;

1851 in we have Central London District School ;
Bridget Greaney   5
Martin Grainey   12
John Grainey   9
All have pob as not known.

GRANEY, BRIDGET, Mothers mn SHERIDON 
GRO Reference: 1846  J Quarter in SAINT LUKE MIDDLESEX  Volume 02  Page 333

GRANEY, MARTIN mmn SHERRIDEN 
GRO Reference: 1839  S Quarter in SAINT LUKE MIDDLESEX  Volume 02  Page 280

1891 Martin Graney is born c 1839 Clerkenwell

FreeBMD has a 1838 Marriage;
Michael GRANY/Margaret SHERIDAN on same page

Image of the Marriage is on Anc
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Offline George Burrell

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 04 July 19 21:06 BST (UK) »
Thank you Trish and Rosie, I really appreciate your willingness to discuss and advise.

I do have another name Shephard now, to look for shared matches in my 451 DNA matches in Ancestry.com.au.

The Intention to Marry and Marriage Certificate documents give the name Mary Gurney.  However, her age is given as 19, which contradicts other information (including gravestone) that suggests she was 16.   These documents contain no detail of her background, excuse given is that family in England was too far away to provide the consent! 

So what to believe?  Was Mary trying to cover her tracks by putting an assumed name and inaccurate age on these documents?   Finding a good match for Grainey/Greany/Graney etc is a real stretch, whereas Gurney has some options (while also being quite an unusual name).   On balance of probabilities I was leaning toward the Gurney option. 

Why did she "adopt" that middle name of Bridget for her 9th child and beyond?   I do like the idea that it was a family name, possibly a mother's name.   So the Grainey option may yet be viable.

BTW the WikiTrees link you provide is to information I have put there.   

Also, I have just received a communication from a 2nd cousin once removed - and that indicates a birthday of 17 March.   The year though seems ridiculous, I don't think she was married at 14 or 15, that would contradict everything else!

Best wishes to all, and many thanks again.   Investigation is ongoing.

George Burrell

Offline [Ray]

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • UK Census information Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 05 July 19 09:19 BST (UK) »

Marriage of Mary's parents      . . . . .

William Gurney / Mary Ann Shepherd     
25 Dec 1835     
Hemel Hempstead     

( via England, Select Marriages, 1538–1973 )         

There are a small number ( "20" people approx) of Sheppard families in Kingsey which is just "east" of Thame     
"The wise man knows how little he knows, the foolish man does not". My Grandfather & Father.

"You can’t give kindness away.  It keeps coming back". Mark Twain (?).

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 05 July 19 12:13 BST (UK) »
Was Mary (Mary Bridget) literate?
Did she sign her M/C?

Trish :)
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)