Author Topic: Family feud over land?  (Read 1747 times)

Offline KitHannay

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Family feud over land?
« on: Saturday 04 April 20 12:16 BST (UK) »
Hi all,

I'm researching a family from Donegal/Fermanagh who ended up in the Encumbered Estates Court in 1854 and I need help understanding what's going on!

As you'll see in the photo attached, there were a lot of 'owners' of this land - I've done the research and these people are all cousins (the Givens, Achesons and Seavers). I think the whole encumbered estates thing has to do with estates going bankrupt after the famine, but what I'm unsure of is if this family is fighting over land or what? Why is Charles Seaver singled out as a petitioner? He was the eldest of the cousins and all other cousins were girls (bar one other boy who I think was the youngest of all the cousins). Do you think he was trying to claim the land or something?

I found reference to a 'Seaver v Given' case about this time in the 'Rolls court' but I cannot find any further information than that so I don't know what that means.

Can anyone help or advise?
Hanna, Donoghue, Johnson, Williams, Glackin, Bradley, Fenlon, Carroll, McGinley, Haughey, Holmes, Cross

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Family feud over land?
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 04 April 20 12:27 BST (UK) »

All their farms are being sold in One Lot...

Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 04 April 20 14:34 BST (UK) »
No need to suspect a feud,  they are all on the one side!  Likely the Reverend is even prepared to be the one sorting out any finer points,  afterall he is also separately nominated as  Ex parte ... a legal expression used in many jurisdictions including New South Wales, Australia.

ADD  ... all are represented by just the one solicitor ...surely  that is showing unity, ....  :)

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 04 April 20 14:43 BST (UK) »
I have just added to my post... which I think you may be reading at this moment.

JM

No need to suspect a feud,  they are all on the one side!  Likely the Reverend is even prepared to be the one sorting out any finer points,  afterall he is also separately nominated as  Ex parte ... a legal expression used in many jurisdictions including New South Wales, Australia.

ADD  ... all are represented by just the one solicitor ...surely  that is showing unity, ....  :)

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 04 April 20 14:52 BST (UK) »

JM

....and a good Solicitor too!   ;D

Offline KitHannay

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 04 April 20 14:53 BST (UK) »
Hi JM,

Thanks! I haven't a clue when it comes to law history!

In the Griffiths Valuation of the early 1860s in Ireland (not sure if you're aware of it?) Margaret and Alicia Given (from the encumbered estates thing above) are the lessors of quite a lot of land. So would that mean they didn't end up selling the land above?

Also, was it normal for women to own land like that back then? I think the land came from their grandfather, who only had three daughters and had died before his grandchildren were born. Would he have left the land to his daughters?
Hanna, Donoghue, Johnson, Williams, Glackin, Bradley, Fenlon, Carroll, McGinley, Haughey, Holmes, Cross

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 04 April 20 15:13 BST (UK) »

Wouldn't be surprised if this is them...... but they could have been renting Land and then subletting it from whoever the Estate owner was.

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 04 April 20 15:17 BST (UK) »
Hi JM,

Thanks! I haven't a clue when it comes to law history!

In the Griffiths Valuation of the early 1860s in Ireland (not sure if you're aware of it?) Margaret and Alicia Given (from the encumbered estates thing above) are the lessors of quite a lot of land. So would that mean they didn't end up selling the land above?

Also, was it normal for women to own land like that back then? I think the land came from their grandfather, who only had three daughters and had died before his grandchildren were born. Would he have left the land to his daughters?

Yes   :D   yes,  I have definitely heard of Ireland.  Oh ...  :P  Griffiths Valuations,  yes, I have heard of those too  :-X

My Irish ancestors include females owning land in that era.   I see no reason for concern,  a person's last will and testament  could, and still can, nominate any one they choose as a beneficiary ... male or female, a family member or otherwise.  Have you sought out the grandfather's deceased estate papers.... perhaps there were directions in it that help with your family history.

JM.