Author Topic: Inquisition in Ulster - Latin Translation?  (Read 2681 times)

Offline Gilby

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Inquisition in Ulster - Latin Translation?
« on: Sunday 05 April 20 15:08 BST (UK) »
Hi All,

I’m trying to get my head around a bit of Latin in the Inquisition of Ulster (Inquisitionum in Officio Rotulorum Cancellariae Hiberniae).  I was never taught Latin, so that puts me at a bit of a disadvantage, though I have picked up a few terms used in genealogy. 

Normally I would google translate one word at a time, but in this case there are so many abbreviations that I’m not having much success.  Can anyone help?

Thanks,
Gilby

Offline Bookbox

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Inquisition in Ulster - Latin Translation?
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 05 April 20 16:03 BST (UK) »
In that place on the same day
The Earl of Antrim was seised as of fee of the town and land of Ballintoy 120 acres, and of Ballylagh 120 acres, and, then being thus seised, he transferred the premises to a certain Nynyon Stewart of Ballintoy and to his heirs, for ever. The aforesaid Nynyon Stewart died 14 years later. Archibald Stewart, his son and heir, was then of full age. The premises are held of the King for military service.

Offline Gilby

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 05 April 20 16:15 BST (UK) »
Ah!  This is fantastic, thanks Bookbox.

I had one source which said Ninian died in c1622 and another c1635.  I was thinking this said that he had died recently (i.e. c1635), but your translation implies the 1622 date, which fits better!

I’ve got another one which I’ll try to translate myself based on what you’ve written.  I’ll probably be back for help shortly!

Offline Bookbox

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 05 April 20 16:30 BST (UK) »
I had one source which said Ninian died in c1622 and another c1635.  I was thinking this said that he had died recently (i.e. c1635), but your translation implies the 1622 date, which fits better!

The implication is that Nynyon died 14 years after receiving the premises from the Earl, but the date of that transfer isn’t shown here.

I’ve got another one which I’ll try to translate myself based on what you’ve written.

In that case, it might help you to have the Latin too, with the endings extended as best I can ...

Ib(idem) eod(em) die.
Comes Antrym seis(itus) fuit, ut de feod(o), de vil(la) & ter(ra) de Ballintoy
120 acr(as), & Ballylagh 120 acr(as); &, sic inde seis(itus), alienavit p(re)miss(a)
cuida(m) Nynyon Stewart de Ballintoy, & hered(ibus) suis, imp(er)pet(uum). – p(re)d(ictus)
Nynyon Stewart obiit 14 ann(is) elaps(is). – Archibald(us) Stewart, ejus fil(ius)
& her(es), tunc fuit plen(e) etat(is). p(re)miss(a) tenent(ur) de R(eg)e p(er) s(er)vic(ium) mil(itare)

Offline Gilby

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 05 April 20 16:40 BST (UK) »
Thanks, that helped.  Ok, here’s my attempt and attached is the snippet.

In that place on the same day
Humphrid Galbraith & Rob. Galbraith were seised as of fee of the quarter land of Corkagh, quarter of Lebindish, quarter of Lisglamerty, quarter of Ruskey, quarter of Gartmore, & town and land of Carrickballydowy alias Carrickballyduffe, countaining 10 balliboes, ?...? in barony of Raphoe & county Donegall, & containing, per estimation, 700 acres land. --- and so seised ?...? ?...? date 1 May 1654, ?...........? heirs ?...? John Calhowne junior, ?...? & baronet, his heirs and assigns, forever --- The premises are held of the King for ?.....?

Offline Bookbox

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 05 April 20 16:54 BST (UK) »
The first bit seems fine ...
Humphrey Galbraith & Robert Galbraith ... 10 balliboes, lying in the Barony of Raphoe ...

Then (from Sic inde ...)
Being then thus seised, by means of a deed bearing date 1 May 1654 they granted all the aforesaid lands, tenements and hereditaments with their appurtenances unto John Calhowne the younger, knight and baronet ... the premises are held of the King for an annual rent.

ADDED - sorry, it should be they granted (now corrected above)

Offline Gilby

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 05 April 20 17:10 BST (UK) »
Ok, brilliant.  Thanks very much for the help!

Offline Skoosh

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 05 April 20 18:13 BST (UK) »
Antrim branch of the Clan Donald!  ;D

Skoosh.

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 05 April 20 19:59 BST (UK) »
you then have this...
  Ninian Stewart, Laird of Ballentoy Castle was born circa 1582 at Ballintoy Castle, Cairn, Antrim, Ireland.1 He married Grissel Stewart, daughter of Sir James Stewart, Sheriff of Bute and Jean Blair, circa 1613 at Isle of Bute, Argyll, Scotland.1 Ninian Stewart, Laird of Ballentoy Castle died in 1669 at Cairn, Antrim, Ireland.

https://our-royal-titled-noble-and-commoner-ancestors.com/p5931.htm#i178100

which as you see goes to Poyntz same as posted on other thread (attached again here) so can compare what is on above Link with names/dates on attachment to check how accurate they are, or not...

Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.