Author Topic: Inquisition in Ulster - Latin Translation?  (Read 2671 times)

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Inquisition in Ulster - Latin Translation?
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 05 April 20 20:39 BST (UK) »

George Stewart's Will... brother of John of Red Bay 

https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:3Q9M-CSN1-FF2R?i=403&cat=185720

Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 05 April 20 20:53 BST (UK) »
In that place on the same day
The Earl of Antrim was seised as of fee of the town and land of Ballintoy 120 acres, and of Ballylagh 120 acres, and, then being thus seised, he transferred the premises to a certain Nynyon Stewart of Ballintoy and to his heirs, for ever. The aforesaid Nynyon Stewart died 14 years later. Archibald Stewart, his son and heir, was then of full age. The premises are held of the King for military service.

Possibly the Capt. Stewart who fled to Alltyrodin, Llandyssil   ??

Offline Gilby

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 05 April 20 22:06 BST (UK) »
Antrim branch of the Clan Donald!  ;D

Skoosh.

As in the Earls of Antrim?  Yes, I'm a fan of Sorley Boy MacDonnell.  What a legend.

Offline Gilby

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 05 April 20 22:07 BST (UK) »
Hi Hallmark,

I’m not actually sure who Capt. Charles Stewart (d. 1774) was, or which branch of Stewarts he came from.  As stated in the book extract, his wife Rose Hall was the daughter of Christian Poyntz.  The other heiress was Christian’s sister Sarah who married another Charles Stewart (d. c1703) – he was of Ballintoy and a son (I think) of the Archibald Stewart mentioned in the Inquisitions.

The Stewarts page of the website “our-royal-titled-noble-and-commoner-ancestors” seems to be almost entirely based on members trees on Ancestry.  Some details look ok, some don’t fit.

Where did you get the family tree sketch you posted (1st post of the 2nd page)?  It looks like it is based on the version of the Stewart pedigree recorded in the Dobbs Report.

Thanks for the link to George Stewart of Red Bay’s will.  I don’t think I have come across this before.  I will transcribe tomorrow evening.

Who is the Capt. Stewart who fled to Alltyrodin, Llandyssil?

Gilby

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 05 April 20 22:29 BST (UK) »
Hi Hallmark,

I’m not actually sure who Capt. Charles Stewart (d. 1774) was, or which branch of Stewarts he came from.  As stated in the book extract, his wife Rose Hall was the daughter of Christian Poyntz.  The other heiress was Christian’s sister Sarah who married another Charles Stewart (d. c1703) – he was of Ballintoy and a son (I think) of the Archibald Stewart mentioned in the Inquisitions.

The Stewarts page of the website “our-royal-titled-noble-and-commoner-ancestors” seems to be almost entirely based on members trees on Ancestry.  Some details look ok, some don’t fit.

Where did you get the family tree sketch you posted (1st post of the 2nd page)?  It looks like it is based on the version of the Stewart pedigree recorded in the Dobbs Report.

Thanks for the link to George Stewart of Red Bay’s will.  I don’t think I have come across this before.  I will transcribe tomorrow evening.

Gilby

No!!!   Dobb's Report is compiled from Pedigrees he found!!

It looks like the Dobbs Report is based on the version of the Stewart pedigree which Betham had compiled and which were listed elsewhere and by McAnlis!! 

Dobbs has over 3500 names in his report, where do people think he got them from??

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 05 April 20 22:55 BST (UK) »

Stewart Pedigrees looked at by Dobbs
Aghnaclog, Ardpatrick, Aughinloo, Bailieboro, Ballinlough, Balymena, Ballinrowan, Ballintroy, Ballelan, Belfast, Callan, Castle Burke, Clonee, Coleraine, Coolskea, Corcreagh, Dublin, Derry, Dromgarth, Hornhead, Londonderry.........and 30 other places

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 05 April 20 23:02 BST (UK) »
Hi Hallmark,

Gilby

Charles died in Spain....did anyone get his Will?

Ninian Stewart, Laird of Ballentoy Castle was born circa 1582 at Ballintoy Castle, Cairn, Antrim, Ireland.1 He married Grissel Stewart, daughter of Sir James Stewart, Sheriff of Bute and Jean Blair, circa 1613 at Isle of Bute, Argyll, Scotland......so are their records at Bute?  On the Bute Pedigree??

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 05 April 20 23:14 BST (UK) »
Hi Hallmark,

Gilby

...and Roger Hall married Christian Poyntz, sold to Archie

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile