Author Topic: Symcock/Garnett mystery  (Read 711 times)

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
Re: Symcock/Garnett mystery
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 11 April 20 08:47 BST (UK) »
you say Thomas aged 4 in 1851 census
this record says aged 11
?? and William was born 1821 ????

I looked at the image before posting the earlier 1851 information.  I think the image looks more like the 4 which appears further down the page with ages 46 & 48.  The enumerator generally has the base of the 4 on the line and the downward cross stroke passing to the row below.  Their 1's generally sit on the line
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline PippaR

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Symcock/Garnett mystery
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 12 April 20 01:35 BST (UK) »
I have a 20 Dec 1818 parish record of Wm's baptism to parents Thos and Lucy but unable to find a death prior 1821.  Ann Moulton was baptised in 1824 and given their stated ages on census records, it accords with an 1821 birth.  Regardless, I still think it's the same Wm.

After I began the post, I sent off for the marriage cert to Wm's second wife just to see if Thomas senior is recorded as deceased in 1858 to hopefully narrow down the search process.  Unfortunately, I usually have to wait 4 weeks to receive these certificates.

Although not unusual, William is recorded on the 1841 census as a lodger and his parents not mentioned.  This is what makes me believe they were deceased.  Thinking in today's terms I know, but if Wm was the only surviving child, I would assume they'd be somewhere nearby.

I'm certain by now that you've concluded that it's driving me to distraction!!  But, it's been great to get your input so thanks again.

PippaR