Author Topic: Struwwelpeter? Home Haircuts  (Read 4553 times)

Offline rayard

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Struwwelpeter? Home Haircuts
« Reply #27 on: Sunday 12 April 20 14:52 BST (UK) »
I've  remembered have a few wigs from years ago, I might try them again. Different colour now though!
rayard.

Offline josey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Sunday 12 April 20 15:15 BST (UK) »
I too had an appointment for just after lockdown that was cancelled. I have a pair of hairdressing scissors [with thinning scissors too] which I bought for sons' hair in the 1970s & have done Mr Josey's for 30 years. Scissors have amazingly never needed sharpening.

My 1st post lockdown trim was a joint effort, a moderate success. I did the fringe, trying a layering technique, Mr J did the back [straight across please I said]. So far so good, next trim which could be due soon will start the rot I think as layers cannot be achieved all through.
Seeking: RC baptism Philip Murray Feb ish 1814 ? nr Chatham Kent.
IRE: Kik DRAY[EA], PURCELL, WHITE: Mea LYNCH: Tip MURRAY, SHEEDY: Wem ALLEN, ENGLISHBY; Dub PENROSE: Lim DUNN[E], FRAWLEY, WILLIAMS.
87th Regiment RIF: MURRAY
ENG; Marylebone HAYTER, TROU[W]SDALE, WILLIAMS,DUNEVAN Con HAMPTON, TREMELLING Wry CLEGG, HOLLAND, HORSEFIELD Coventry McGINTY
CAN; Halifax & Pictou: HOLLAND, WHITE, WILLIAMSON

Offline louisa maud

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Sunday 12 April 20 22:22 BST (UK) »
I wouldn't dream of cutting my own hair, I had perms up until my hair started to break, so it is now straight, which means I have to put rollers in my hair every night, only  night I get away with it is the night before I am due to wash it, overdue trim due to lockdown, goodness knows  how I will manage if this situation lasts much longer, but it is a small thing to suffer in the scheme of things

Louisa Maud
Census information is Crown Copyright,
from  www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Granath Sweden and London
Garner, Marylebone Paddington  Northolt Ilford
Garner, Devon
Garner New Zealand
Maddieson
Parkinson St Pancras,
Jenkins Marylebone Paddington
Mizon/Mison/Myson Paddington
Tindal Marylebone Paddington
Tocock, (name changed to Ellis) London
Southam Marylebone, Paddington
Bragg Lambeth 1800's
Edermaniger(Maniger) Essex Kent Canada (Toronto)
Coveney Kent Lambeth
Sondes kent and London

Offline ms_canuck

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Saturday 02 May 20 20:30 BST (UK) »
I posted this to another thread, but should have looked for this one...

I have cut my own hair this past week.  I have short hair and a pair of hairdressing scissors, so it wasn't too difficult.  I used to cut my own hair back when I was young with very long straight hair and a fringe.  My mum would just fix the back to make sure it was straight (I let her cut my fringe once - never again LOL).

I used to cut my husband's hair all the time.  I actually got pretty good at it!

Kudos to Gillg on the nail scissors though.  You are brave!

Cheers all

Ms_C
1. Paul - Guernsey 1801
2. Ettenton / Eltenton - Guernsey 1806

Offline sugarfizzle

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Saturday 02 May 20 23:41 BST (UK) »
My hair has been long since I was 18. I hadn't had it cut for a few months when lockdown was announced. It was well overdue a cut, getting quite straggly with more than a few split ends.

I looked up online how to cut long hair, and thought the pony tail method sounded easy enough. I asked my husband to cut it, assuring him that I wouldn't be cross with him if it went wrong.

I could have cried. It was now shorter than it was when I was a child. Very straight with no layers at the back, much longer at the front. In his attempt to rectify matters he cut the front hair further, which ended up shorter than the back.

However, nobody sees it except the two of us, and it is growing again quite quickly. I had a pre cancerous skin lesion removed a few years ago, since then I have worn sun cream, sun hat, long sleeves, full length trousers etc between April and October, or when UV index above 3.

The problem is, what to do with it next. Do I trust him with a trim if it needs one?

Regards Margaret
STEER, mainly Surrey, Kent; PINNOCKS/HAINES, Gosport, Hants; BARKER, mainly Broadwater, Sussex; Gosport, Hampshire; LAVERSUCH, Micheldever, Hampshire; WESTALL, London, Reading, Berks; HYDE, Croydon, Surrey; BRIGDEN, Hadlow, Kent and London; TUTHILL/STEPHENS, London
WILKINSON, Leeds, Yorkshire and Liverpool; WILLIAMSON, Liverpool; BEARE, Yeovil, Somerset; ALLEN, Kent and London; GORST, Liverpool; HOYLE, mainly Leeds, Yorkshire

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.go

Offline Viktoria

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Sunday 03 May 20 10:00 BST (UK) »
Now I always think long hair is easier,you can pony tail it and wind it into a bun” chignon”,French pleat, etc.
I had a fourpenny all off just the  day before lockdown.
Very smart after the hairdresser had blown it dry ,but now I am having to do it myself it looks very severe and flat and boring and institutional!
The front has a mind of its own,  STRAIGHT, and falls down to my left eye.
As it is still dark and I have very dark eyes I am gradually bearing more than a passing resemblance to Hitler!
I think there are already rumours going around our town he has been seen walking in the cemetery and gardening at a house not far away!
I am just glad I have some as I lost a lot pre Under active thyroid diagnosis
when it thinned alarmingly.
Not bad now just so darned straight and with a mind of its own.
Ah well, it is a small selfish problem,so I am telling myself .
My daughter has Pernicious Anaemia pretty bad.
Needs monthly injections of B12 .
Her Dr,s surgery phoned to say it was too risky to give it to her .
Now whether that is her having to go to the surgery or something else don’t know.When she needs it it is very obvious, can’t concentrate, drops things, is not fit to drive , has strange sensations in her arms and legs .
Used to be three monthly but that is now not enough ,and she has a battle on her hands looming , to do with  her business which is in lockdown ,whilst others are not.
She did the right thing but seems now to have a price to pay ,she will need all her wits about her to battle through this. A meeting has been organised via computers etc.
I have suggested she get her Dr.to say she will be in no fit state to deal with
it all until she’s had the B12 ,and that will not be until safe for her to have it.
She needs to speak with Dr direct, the message was from a receptionist.
Lovely day again, I might tackle the garden shed.
Fridge nearly empty so a good wash out ready for Tesco delivery on Tuesday, I have a Wednesday in my disordered mind for some unknown reason.
Neighbour gave me a Lavender plant ,yesterday, had ordered 8 mixed,but disappointed
when 4 of those and 4 others,all the same came.
I gave him a healthy cutting that had rooted very well from my flowering currant,and  some violets ,a few weeks back ,so he kindly gave me a spare lavender.
The grey/green foliage goes well with my Cumberland slate chippings .
Cheerio, the goldfish in the pond will think I have forgotten them.
Viktoria.

Offline Skoosh

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Sunday 03 May 20 11:03 BST (UK) »
The Remington hair-cutters I ordered online have been somewhat delayed in arriving due to the flight situation from Hong Kong. Maybe I should search for a second-hand fiddle meantime!  ;D

Skoosh.

Offline Crumblie

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Sunday 03 May 20 11:09 BST (UK) »
You could always try using pinking shears and set a new trend. I not sure they are still around though.

Online Caw1

• RootsChat Senior
  • Joyce Irene Harriss 1920 - 2011
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Sunday 03 May 20 11:15 BST (UK) »
I love reading everyone's exploits into hair cutting!

It reminded me of when I was younger and my hair was long and straight... I could sit on it! When I met my OH some 55+ years ago he said it was my lovely honey blonde long hair that first attracted him to me!

After a few years I decided to have it cut short and was due to meet up with him afterwards, I hadn't told him what I was intending to do... well after I'd had it cut off I immediately regretted it as I felt like one of those nodding dogs you see in the back of car windows and very light headed.... anyway I waited for him at the agreed place only to see him walk straight past me... he hadn't recognised me.😱😱

Nowadays my hair is a little longer and I've always kept the colour ( via a bottle over last few years) now not being able to get to the hairdressers it is gradually reverting to the proper colour... sort of light grey... it's terrifying and I can't wait to go back and have it recoloured!

As for cutting I don't think I'm going to do that as I'd ruin the good cut my hairdresser gives me... it can just grow and I'll pin it up, wear those hair clip things ...

OH keeps mentioning about me cutting his... not keen I have to say, I domuse his trimmer to deal with the back neck and side tomtidy him up but all over I don't think so!

Oh well at least we can hide away for now at least!

Good luck to all those who are attempting to theirs and their partners!

Caroline
Guy - UK,USA
Bangerter -UK,Australia,Switzerland
Harriss - UK, Australia
Merrall - UK
Swinnock - UK
Lloyd - UK