Author Topic: Married after "Registrars Banns"  (Read 2504 times)

Offline Rena

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copyright: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Married after "Registrars Banns"
« Reply #27 on: Wednesday 08 April 20 16:57 BST (UK) »
Just to add that in over twenty years doing family history I have never before come across the term "registrar's banns"

Stan

Me neither Stan.    Bryan and I married in a Registrar's beautifully decorated room, which we booked March 1994 for the earliest date, because being in HM Forces he was being posted abroad.  The earliest date was the following September of that year and in all that time nobody mentioned anything about banns.
Aberdeen: Findlay-Shirras,McCarthy: MidLothian: Mason,Telford,Darling,Cruikshanks,Bennett,Sime, Bell: Lanarks:Crum, Brown, MacKenzie,Cameron, Glen, Millar; Ross: Urray:Mackenzie:  Moray: Findlay; Marshall/Marischell: Perthshire: Brown Ferguson: Wales: McCarthy, Thomas: England: Almond, Askin, Dodson, Well(es). Harrison, Maw, McCarthy, Munford, Pye, Shearing, Smith, Smythe, Speight, Strike, Wallis/Wallace, Ward, Wells;Germany: Flamme,Ehlers, Bielstein, Germer, Mohlm, Reupke

Offline Andrew Tarr

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Wanted: Charles Percy Liversidge
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Wednesday 08 April 20 16:59 BST (UK) »
Thomas Rass? apparently decided ...
Definitely Ragg, by comparison with other words, and a commoner surname I think.
Tarr, Tydeman, Liversidge, Bartlett, Young

Offline JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Wednesday 08 April 20 17:23 BST (UK) »
Notice of a Marriage with the Registrar became known as "Registrar's Banns".

I can't see anything in any of the lengthy attachments to your post which include the words 'Registrar's Banns'  :-\

All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online BumbleB

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Wednesday 08 April 20 17:49 BST (UK) »
Just a thought - the marriage entry - was it taken from the parish register, or from the marriage certificate?

My reason for asking this question - if the image was taken from the parish register, then was this a "one off" or were there other entries stating "Registrar's Banns" at about the same time?  In other words - was this the usual manner of entry by this particular cleric?

Transcriptions and NBI are merely finding aids.  They are NOT a substitute for original record entries.
Remember - "They'll be found when they want to be found" !!!
If you don't ask the question, you won't get an answer.
He/she who never made a mistake, never made anything.
Archbell - anywhere, any date
Kendall - WRY
Milner - WRY
Appleyard - WRY

Offline Corryn

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Wednesday 08 April 20 20:16 BST (UK) »
BumbleB,

The image (1880) is from the register.
There is one other entry (1875) where he entered Registrars Banns but on that occasion crossed it out and put Superintendent Registrars Certificate.
Other later entries have Superintendent Registrars Certificate.
I've also noted he never missed a chance of putting "born out of wedlock" where he can!

Corryn

Webb: Shropshire, Glamorgan
Cole: Shropshire, Glamorgan
Sockett/Socket: Shropshire, Herefordshire
Corbett/Corbet/Corbitt: Shropshire
Worral: Shropshire
Moss: Shropshire

Online BumbleB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Wednesday 08 April 20 21:52 BST (UK) »
Perhaps no comment related to the Minister  :-X
Transcriptions and NBI are merely finding aids.  They are NOT a substitute for original record entries.
Remember - "They'll be found when they want to be found" !!!
If you don't ask the question, you won't get an answer.
He/she who never made a mistake, never made anything.
Archbell - anywhere, any date
Kendall - WRY
Milner - WRY
Appleyard - WRY

Offline Rena

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Thursday 09 April 20 00:41 BST (UK) »
BumbleB,

There is one other entry (1875) where he entered Registrars Banns but on that occasion crossed it out and put Superintendent Registrars Certificate.
I've also noted he never missed a chance of putting "born out of wedlock" where he can!

Corryn

During my lifetime.  I believe if the parents married within three years of the baby being born, then the baby was legally the child of the mother's husband. (work that out lol)
Aberdeen: Findlay-Shirras,McCarthy: MidLothian: Mason,Telford,Darling,Cruikshanks,Bennett,Sime, Bell: Lanarks:Crum, Brown, MacKenzie,Cameron, Glen, Millar; Ross: Urray:Mackenzie:  Moray: Findlay; Marshall/Marischell: Perthshire: Brown Ferguson: Wales: McCarthy, Thomas: England: Almond, Askin, Dodson, Well(es). Harrison, Maw, McCarthy, Munford, Pye, Shearing, Smith, Smythe, Speight, Strike, Wallis/Wallace, Ward, Wells;Germany: Flamme,Ehlers, Bielstein, Germer, Mohlm, Reupke

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Thursday 09 April 20 00:55 BST (UK) »
BumbleB,

Corryn

During my lifetime.  I believe if the parents married within three years of the baby being born, then the baby was legally the child of the mother's husband. (work that out lol)

What jurisdiction?   My youngest siblings were born 15 years after my parents married.  I was born in 1947,  my parents were married back in the 1930s...  WWII separates my older siblings from the rest of us. 

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline Rena

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Thursday 09 April 20 02:33 BST (UK) »
BumbleB,

Corryn

What jurisdiction?   My youngest siblings were born 15 years after my parents married.  I was born in 1947,  my parents were married back in the 1930s...  WWII separates my older siblings from the rest of us. 

JM

I probably made a mistake when I stated "my lifetime".  The occasion was early 1960s and my brother asked legal advice about his child who had been born out of wedlock when parents were under 21 years of age because parental consent for the parents to marry wasn't given.  He thought he would have to officially adopt his own child when they married, but the advice he was given was that IF they (the parents) had married after the child was 3 years old, he would have to officially adopt his own child.  At time of marriage (one day after father's 21st birthday) child wasn't two years old.