Author Topic: Married after "Registrars Banns"  (Read 2505 times)

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
Re: Married after "Registrars Banns"
« Reply #36 on: Thursday 09 April 20 02:51 BST (UK) »
Thanks,

Was your brother's experience 1960s, in England? and it was legal advice? so not a religious interpretation....

Here is a live link to a newspaper cutting from the colonies from 1833 and a discussion about Legitimacy and Marriage with comments about English statute laws from the mid 1700s
https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/232475594
The Australia-Asiatic Review Tues 17 Sept 1833.

It commences with
We have been favored with a communication from a valued correspondent, on the subject of legitimacy of children born in these Colonies before the passing of the Acts of Parliament subjecting them to the laws of England, as they stood in the statute book ..... We have devoted some time and research to this important question, and the following will be found, we believe to be the state of the law thereupon.....

the reporter concludes that 
'Every child, therefore, born of parents cohabiting as husband and wife, previous to the bringing into operation the Charter of Justice in 1821, is, we firmly believe, strictly and legally ligitimate, to the fullest extent of the word; .....

I think the adverse views towards children born outside of a formal marriage between their parents is actually something that developed during the  mid to late nineteenth century, at least in the Australian colonies. 

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Online Rena

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copyright: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Thursday 09 April 20 13:23 BST (UK) »
Thanks,

Was your brother's experience 1960s, in England? and it was legal advice? so not a religious interpretation....

JM

Yes it was legal advice.  The couple were not co-habitating and wanted to marry prior to the baby's birth, parents advised they wait in case they married in haste and repented at leisure type of thing.

They married in a Registry office with a large number of the families to witness the ceremony.   Bride's mother very upset because the room needed a coat of paint, looked like a storeroom and was a mess, plus the female Registrar rushed through the ceremony at quite a pace.   
Aberdeen: Findlay-Shirras,McCarthy: MidLothian: Mason,Telford,Darling,Cruikshanks,Bennett,Sime, Bell: Lanarks:Crum, Brown, MacKenzie,Cameron, Glen, Millar; Ross: Urray:Mackenzie:  Moray: Findlay; Marshall/Marischell: Perthshire: Brown Ferguson: Wales: McCarthy, Thomas: England: Almond, Askin, Dodson, Well(es). Harrison, Maw, McCarthy, Munford, Pye, Shearing, Smith, Smythe, Speight, Strike, Wallis/Wallace, Ward, Wells;Germany: Flamme,Ehlers, Bielstein, Germer, Mohlm, Reupke

Offline Corryn

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Friday 10 April 20 21:31 BST (UK) »
Thank you all for your help and input.
I have come to the conclusion that the vicar wrote "Registrars Banns" in error as he had five years previously but on this occasion failed to correct it.
With regards to him entering "born out of wedlock" I have noted that he has done this on a few occasions throughout the register, perhaps his way of showing disapproval.
Why they married away from their Parish Church, I can only guess the reasons were Emma was six months pregnant and because they were cousins, though legal, the families didn't approve.
Thanks again
Corryn
Webb: Shropshire, Glamorgan
Cole: Shropshire, Glamorgan
Sockett/Socket: Shropshire, Herefordshire
Corbett/Corbet/Corbitt: Shropshire
Worral: Shropshire
Moss: Shropshire

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • My Family's Links 19th Cent
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Sunday 12 April 20 08:04 BST (UK) »
BumbleB,

The image (1880) is from the register.
There is one other entry (1875) where he entered Registrars Banns but on that occasion crossed it out and put Superintendent Registrars Certificate.
Other later entries have Superintendent Registrars Certificate.

Corryn

I'm sure someone who worked for my Father (marrying at a Kingdom Hall, so definitely not marrying in a C of E Church) said he had been back to the Registry Office (before the Marriage) to see his 'Banns' as he called them displayed on the Registrar's Notice Board. (c.1970).

Added
It was my belief that the Marriage Notice for several weeks in the Registry Office was the Civil equivalent to the Banns being read 3 times in a church.

They still put them on display in Northern Ireland (gov.uk link) where 28 days Notice is also required.
https://www.nidirect.gov.uk/articles/how-and-when-give-notice-marriage
"Your marriage notice will be placed on public display at the registrar's office."

Mark

Offline stanmapstone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Sunday 12 April 20 08:36 BST (UK) »
They might have been commonly called "banns" but legally and by the various Acts of Parliament they are not.
In the Register Office the civil equivalent of Banns involves notice of the marriage being given to the superintendent registrar of the district where each party had resided for not less than seven days

From a Notice furnished by the Registrar-General
A copy of such notice will be entered by the superintendent-registrar in a book called “the marriage notice-book,” which will be open at all reasonable times, without fee, to all persons desirous of inspecting the same.

The whole purpose of Banns in Church, and the Marriage Book in the Register Office was to give time for any objections to the marriage to be raised.
Stan
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk