Author Topic: Married after "Registrars Banns"  (Read 2516 times)

Offline Andrew Tarr

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Wanted: Charles Percy Liversidge
    • View Profile
Re: Married after "Registrars Banns"
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 07 April 20 18:54 BST (UK) »
Often the word b*****d is used  for a child born out of wedlock and I also think it is most unkind.

I suspect you may think that because the word is now a strong expletive or accusation - and probably has been for decades.  It has been used in registers for centuries as a statement of fact, in baptism records possibly to show that a child may not be entitled to support from that parish.  Nowadays that might also be seen as 'unkind', but as usual we should not judge past events by today's values.
Tarr, Tydeman, Liversidge, Bartlett, Young

Offline Corryn

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 07 April 20 20:51 BST (UK) »
Andrew,
Yes I'e seen b*****d, Illegitimate and base born on baptism records but was wondering why the vicar needed to note the fact on her marriage entry 23 years later.

Corryn
Webb: Shropshire, Glamorgan
Cole: Shropshire, Glamorgan
Sockett/Socket: Shropshire, Herefordshire
Corbett/Corbet/Corbitt: Shropshire
Worral: Shropshire
Moss: Shropshire

Offline louisa maud

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 07 April 20 21:12 BST (UK) »
I have 2 relations who insist on using that word everytime they hear of a baby born to unmarried couples, I must admit I do tell them off, in no way am  I  confrontational but it isn't nice,  I get told to look in the dictionary but  I still feel it is an unfortunate word to use, it is not the child's fault and certainly it need not have been shown on the marriage cert

Louisa Maud
Census information is Crown Copyright,
from  www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Granath Sweden and London
Garner, Marylebone Paddington  Northolt Ilford
Garner, Devon
Garner New Zealand
Maddieson
Parkinson St Pancras,
Jenkins Marylebone Paddington
Mizon/Mison/Myson Paddington
Tindal Marylebone Paddington
Tocock, (name changed to Ellis) London
Southam Marylebone, Paddington
Bragg Lambeth 1800's
Edermaniger(Maniger) Essex Kent Canada (Toronto)
Coveney Kent Lambeth
Sondes kent and London

Offline stanmapstone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 07 April 20 21:18 BST (UK) »

Also the vicar made a point of entering in the register that the bride was "born out of wedlock" under Fathers Name and Surname.  All others I have seen have just had a line drawn where no fathers name is written.
This marriage took place in the district church Lawley, Shropshire, May 15 1880

Corryn

The Vicar was completely out of order writing this in the column "Father's Name and Surname", and I would be surprised if the Registrar allowed it when the quarterly copy certificate was sent to him. It would be interesting to get the certified copy from the GRO to see if it was still entered.

Stan
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline stanmapstone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 07 April 20 21:26 BST (UK) »
Of course he may have just written it in the Church Register and not on the "Registered Copy" he sent to the Registrar.

Stan
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline louisa maud

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 07 April 20 21:39 BST (UK) »
Stan, if it wasn't on the " registered copy" why should he have written it at all?, but we are talking about some time ago.

Louisa Maud
Census information is Crown Copyright,
from  www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Granath Sweden and London
Garner, Marylebone Paddington  Northolt Ilford
Garner, Devon
Garner New Zealand
Maddieson
Parkinson St Pancras,
Jenkins Marylebone Paddington
Mizon/Mison/Myson Paddington
Tindal Marylebone Paddington
Tocock, (name changed to Ellis) London
Southam Marylebone, Paddington
Bragg Lambeth 1800's
Edermaniger(Maniger) Essex Kent Canada (Toronto)
Coveney Kent Lambeth
Sondes kent and London

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 07 April 20 22:59 BST (UK) »
"Out of wedlock"  recorded in lieu of the name of the father of bride or groom on a parish register in England in 1880 ...  yes, likely the Vicar was over-reaching protocol even within his own church admin. However, I cannot see that today's family history buffs must immediately decide that that clergyman's words were recorded on his register with the purpose to cause scorn or other adverse comment readily available to the general public to injure the couple being married. ***

BUT from a family history perspective it is actually a very positive and vital piece of information, likely based on a verbal response to the clergy's standard question "who is thy father".   It helps validate the 21st century quest to become informed about nineteenth century ancestors.

I hope that Corryn, who from his profile is currently just 22,  continues to pursue family history studies for there will be many times that confronting facts will need to be examined in context.

Stan, as always, has everything at hand, and I support his thoughts on checking what is actually on the civil registration. 

Andrew is spot on too,  values change, the intent and meanings of words change.

ADD

*** I am in New South Wales,  Australia.  Church records here are not automatically public records.  Over time, various church records have been filmed and made available to the general public, with permission of the denominations head offices.   

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline Andrew Tarr

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Wanted: Charles Percy Liversidge
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 07 April 20 23:06 BST (UK) »
Of course he may have just written it in the Church Register and not on the "Registered Copy" he sent to the Registrar.

But if the data on these certs is 'informant-led' it follows either that one of the parties volunteered the information, or the cleric knew from long ago and wished the fact not to get overlooked ?  And of course these days a good proportion of children are born 'out of wedlock', which often comes later.

A member of my tree was baptised in Manchester 'cathedral' in 1848 with no father recorded, but he was acknowledged when she married there 25 years later.  In fact he was lodging with her husband while cohabiting with her mother, who he never married.  No clerical comments on the certificate though.
Tarr, Tydeman, Liversidge, Bartlett, Young

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 07 April 20 23:10 BST (UK) »
 :)

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.