Author Topic: Mary Ann Gatward Saffron Waldon .c1797-1879 Epping.  (Read 1100 times)

Offline LizzieL

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Mary Ann Gatward Saffron Waldon .c1797-1879 Epping.
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 17 May 23 11:00 BST (UK) »
Possible for Edward Wallis (the witness) 1851 census, unmarried , birth year 1800 b Saffron walden, lodger with the Farrow family living in Rainham. Mary's younger brother?

Hi LizzieL     I have just joined rootschat and seen your messages re Gatward.  She is a member of my father's family : Crane   4th generation.   I was just at Copped Hall in Epping on Sunday where William Crane (her son) worked as an agricultural labourer and died in 1890 died after falling from a haystack!

Hello and welcome to Rootschat

I'm not the originator of this thread - just helping out Chooch.
Hopefully they'll get a message to say that someone replied to the thread and come back to it.
You might be related
Berks / Oxon: Eltham, Annetts, Wiltshire (surname not county), Hawkins, Pembroke, Partridge
Dorset / Hants: Derham, Stride, Purkiss, Sibley
Yorkshire: Pottage, Carr, Blackburn, Depledge
Sussex: Goodyer, Christopher, Trevatt
Lanark: Scott (soldier went to Jersey CI)
Jersey: Fowler, Huelin, Scott

Offline Caseyn11

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 17 May 23 12:14 BST (UK) »
Looking for a marriage between Mary Ann Gatward and Thomas Crane  b.1794-d.1849 Epping.
I believe Mary Ann was the daughter of Edward Gatward and Ann Coe marr. 14 Nov.1796 Saffron Waldon.
I have Mary Ann and Thomas 1841 living in Pump Yard  Church Hill Epping with daughters Eliza 10 and Louisa 8 but believe there were earlier children, possibly William c. 1921.
Mary 1851 aged 52, wid,  resides Lindsay st Epping b. Saffron Waldon.
1861 aged 63 wid, Washerwoman  also b. Saffron Waldon b.  has Edward Crane 11 grandson ( son of William Crane) with her at Pine Apple Yard? Epping, but 1871  aged 73 occ. laundrywoman b. Cambridge?
Any help or suggestions would be  much appreciated.

Hi Chooch
I am a descendant of Mary Ann Gatward married to Thomas Crane with two sons, William born 1821 and James born ca 1830
William married Ann Free and had a son William Samuel in 1821. He married Sarah West and they had 13 children, one of whom was Herbert Frederick who married Annie Hodson.  They had a son Leslie Herbert William Crane who was my father, born 1910

I would love to share info and photos.   Please get in touch.
Sincerely
Kathy

Offline Chooch

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 18 May 23 08:53 BST (UK) »
Hi Kathy,
I have since discovered that my Mary Ann Gatward is not the one married to Thomas Crane. My Mary married George Basham  10 Nov.1818 in Castle Hedingham. Although born Saffron Walden she was brought up and lived in Castle Hedingham.  1841 into the 1860s Mary still lived there although widowed 1847.
Interesting that you mention Copped Hall, Epping we lived in Waltham Abbey and have connections to Copped Hall through ancestors who worked there although other side of the family.

I hope you find the answers you seek, it is a long, sometimes difficult journey finding the answers but so worthwhile,

Regards Pamela
Bear - Essex/ London/Middlesex
Fleming - Stockton,Wiltshire,
Gatward - Essex/Middlesex
Haggar/Hagger- Essex/Middlesex
Osborne - Somerset/Lond/Middlesex. CAN/USA
Page -Essex/Hertfordshire/Middlesex/Canada/USA
Rawlings - Lond/Middlesex UK
Woodroff/e -Wiltshire, Lond/Middlesex
Tillcock - Bedfordshire, Hertfordshire