Author Topic: Stay Home Stay Safe (Part 9)  (Read 11897 times)

Offline Skoosh

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Stay Home Stay Safe (Part 9)
« Reply #126 on: Sunday 12 April 20 17:34 BST (UK) »
Dorrie, just finished the paper, excellent letters! The holiday-homes business needs sorted out this time round.

Skoosh.

Online Viktoria

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: Sunday 12 April 20 17:44 BST (UK) »
Well there is young,and there is infantile- . ;I don’t mind which.
Having a laugh is good for us , I was always the daft one at school.
To some extent it comes from not quite fitting in, I was a Manchester child uprooted to rural Shropshire ,then aged eight I returned to Manchester,the children at my new school already had firm friendships ,I had an unusual,soft accent and I wanted to fit in .
So I was funny ,and I became popular.
So at Grammar School,College and Schools where I worked.
I can usually see something funny in things , and that developed more when the Head Teacher at the first school I worked at after returning to the  UK
had a similar sense of humour.
We bounced off each other.
The school really rang with laughter,mostly the  Head.
And his Deputy Head was the same.
One of the things that got me the job apart from qualifications etc was a quip I made prior to the final interview.
We all had a laugh,I felt at ease and that was that.
I worked there for 23 years.
So I suppose acting daft and seeing the funny side is beneficial, people speak to you ,they may not know your name but will remember what you said about certain things.If you have not exchanged a few words with anyone ,because you live alone,  some banter in the street is a Tonic .
All the thirteen years of dog walking every afternoon without fail, with similar people ,it was almost two and a half hours of laughter .
We had concerts on the bandstand , jokes , etc .
It is easier to be daft than miserable.
Well I find it so.
There are some very clever,very witty people on RootsChat,I don’t use any other social outlet ,just the phone and letters.
I have to watch myself though,or I will become addicted !
Cheerio folk, kind wishes to you all and hopes we all get through this safely.
Viktoria.

Online BumbleB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: Sunday 12 April 20 17:44 BST (UK) »
Ermhhhhh!  We've been hearing about influential people being chastised, and even losing their positions, due to their travelling to "second homes" during this pandemic.  BUT I now understand that Boris and Carrie are in residence at Chequers.   :o :o  :-X :-X

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8211821/Ive-got-b-r-thing-Boris-Johnsons-verdict-battling-coronavirus.html

Transcriptions and NBI are merely finding aids.  They are NOT a substitute for original record entries.
Remember - "They'll be found when they want to be found" !!!
If you don't ask the question, you won't get an answer.
He/she who never made a mistake, never made anything.
Archbell - anywhere, any date
Kendall - WRY
Milner - WRY
Appleyard - WRY

Offline jillruss

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Poppy
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: Sunday 12 April 20 17:47 BST (UK) »
Ermhhhhh!  We've been hearing about influential people being chastised, and even losing their positions, due to their travelling to "second homes" during this pandemic.  BUT I now understand that Boris and Carrie are in residence at Chequers.   :o :o  :-X :-X

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8211821/Ive-got-b-r-thing-Boris-Johnsons-verdict-battling-coronavirus.html

I don't begrudge him that at all.
HELP!!!

BATHSHEBA BOOTHROYD bn c. 1802 W. Yorks.

Baptism nowhere to be found. Possibly in a nonconformist church near ALMONDBURY or HUDDERSFIELD.

Offline pharmaT

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: Sunday 12 April 20 18:04 BST (UK) »

Can't believe I'm standing up for Boris but I think it may have something to do with Number 10 actually being a working office and not just a home so if he is at Chequers it can keep running.
Campbell, Dunn, Dickson, Fell, Forest, Norie, Pratt, Somerville, Thompson, Tyler among others

Offline tillypeg

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: Sunday 12 April 20 18:08 BST (UK) »
Hopefully at Chequers there will be no journalists standing outside shouting "When are you going back to work, Boris?"  :-X

Offline Guy Etchells

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: Sunday 12 April 20 18:50 BST (UK) »

But you don't have to drive to go outside.  You may have to drive to go somewhere more intersting, more beautiful etc but you can walk along the street. 

The biggest issue with driving elsewhere to go walking is that increases the radius of movement of people.  A virus cannot move itself, it is moved by people.  Therefore going to a completely different area for your walk or going shopping several miles away (when there are several other supermarkets in between not when it's miles to the nearest one) increases the potential for spread and can seed new clusters in new areas. 

You might I cannot, I live at the top of a hill, if I walk in either direction I have to go downhill, I have a medical problem, we have a 16 year old disabled granddaughter who is living with us and my wife has asthma now you tell me how the three of us can go out for exercise by walking along the street.-

A) the pavement is not wide enough to walk 3 abreast and my granddaughter requires both myself and my wife either side to allow her to walk.

B) even at 6 a.m. there are pedestrians walking up and down the street.

C) as I stated we live at the top of a hill and I cannot afford to strain myself at this time trying to push her back up the hill

Now tell me I drive to a remote deserted old railway track bed not to exercise but drive to go somewhere more interesting, more beautiful etc!

Cheers
Guy
http://anguline.co.uk/Framland/index.htm   The site that gives you facts not promises!
http://burial-inscriptions.co.uk Tombstones & Monumental Inscriptions.

As we have gained from the past, we owe the future a debt, which we pay by sharing today.

Offline Llwyd

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Searching,forever searching!!!.
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: Sunday 12 April 20 20:08 BST (UK) »
No loud music today from the neighbours, so it was our turn. After a very nice state permitted walk, during which we managed to avoid other people for quite a bit of it, we arrived home, got out the fishing chairs, had a cup of tea. We then took to the red wine whilst we played, firstly, Voices of the Valley by the Froncysllte MVC followed by Lonesome and Blue by the Rolling Stones. They were both at full volume but the CD player remained in the kitchen, so the sound did not carry too far outside.
I see that live streaming of "nature" is recommended as a panacea for "lockdown". There are CCTV cameras watching owl nests, peregrine nests, osprey nests. I hope that these pictures are accompanied by the necessary warnings - "these shots may contain scenes of extreme and graphic violence" as the owls, peregrines and ospreys bring home food for their offspring. I'm sure there are probably people out there who will be "shocked" if not forewarned. 
 :)
Humphreys; originating in Montgomeryshire and spreading out locally, nationally and internationally.
"Yma o hyd".

Offline suey

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • The light is on but there's no-one at home!
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: Sunday 12 April 20 20:20 BST (UK) »

But you don't have to drive to go outside.  You may have to drive to go somewhere more intersting, more beautiful etc but you can walk along the street. 

The biggest issue with driving elsewhere to go walking is that increases the radius of movement of people.  A virus cannot move itself, it is moved by people.  Therefore going to a completely different area for your walk or going shopping several miles away (when there are several other supermarkets in between not when it's miles to the nearest one) increases the potential for spread and can seed new clusters in new areas. 

You might I cannot, I live at the top of a hill, if I walk in either direction I have to go downhill, I have a medical problem, we have a 16 year old disabled granddaughter who is living with us and my wife has asthma now you tell me how the three of us can go out for exercise by walking along the street.-

A) the pavement is not wide enough to walk 3 abreast and my granddaughter requires both myself and my wife either side to allow her to walk.

B) even at 6 a.m. there are pedestrians walking up and down the street.

C) as I stated we live at the top of a hill and I cannot afford to strain myself at this time trying to push her back up the hill

Now tell me I drive to a remote deserted old railway track bed not to exercise but drive to go somewhere more interesting, more beautiful etc!

Cheers
Guy

Guy, there are always extenuating circumstances and people will empathise with that. 

However, when you have two perfectly healthy young women, who do not live together but do ‘train’ together who are perfectly capable of walking/running from their home but choose to drive to a location in order to ‘train’ ie run and you see them every day when they huff and puff past you you can see how it becomes rather annoying. That’s not counting the same cars with dog letter outers, we don’t call them walkers, because all they do is let the dog out to foul and then go home again, you can time your watch by most of them, then that makes you angry 😡
I’m sorry to say there are more people like them than there are like you and your wife and I appreciate your dilemma.
All census lookups are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Sussex - Knapp. Nailard. Potten. Coleman. Pomfrey. Carter. Picknell
Greenwich/Woolwich. - Clowting. Davis. Kitts. Ferguson. Lowther. Carvalho. Pressman. Redknap. Argent.
Hertfordshire - Sturgeon. Bird. Rule. Claxton. Taylor. Braggins