Author Topic: Markfield Hospital.  (Read 710 times)

Offline Steve C

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Markfield Hospital.
« on: Saturday 11 April 20 22:24 BST (UK) »
Just wondering if anyone could help with some information please.

My Grandfather passed away in 1962 at his home in Narborough. Before this I vaguely remember he had a stay in hospital although I am unsure for how long or what the issues were behind his stay.

I also vaguely remember a reply from someone ( this was about 12 years ago when I first started my family tree ) on Rootschat mentioning Markfield Hospital and I believe hospital records were mentioned.

During this Easter weekend and the free access to certain family tree websites I have revisited some of my records and added new details and information. This got me thinking again about Markfield Hospital.

Does anyone know if there are any records I can access or where these records are held.

Many thanks in advance  ;)

Steve
Banbury and Hall families from Leicester 1850 to 1950.

Parfery or Parfrey family from Norfolk or Cambs 1800 to 1900.

Offline KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Markfield Hospital.
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 11 April 20 22:41 BST (UK) »
Generally speaking, hospital records are usually closed for a period of 100 years.

You could try asking the University Hospitals of Leicester NHS Trust?

See:
https://www.leicestershospitals.nhs.uk/patients/patient-and-visitor-services/health-and-medical-records/

Where there is a PDF Application Form at the bottom of the page.
They say there is no charge for deceased person's records ;D
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline Steve C

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 12 April 20 10:42 BST (UK) »
Thank you very much KGarrad for your reply containing the information and link  ;D

I wish I had paid more attention to the Markfield Hospital mention in that reply all those years ago although I do believe it was a passing comment rather than specific information. I didn`t know about hospital records usually being closed for 100 years so my vague recollection of that Markfield Hospital comment probably means there was also no reference to records being available at either Wigston Records Office or a Leicester library.

Now off to print the form from the link you provided before filling it in and posting.

Many thanks again  ;)

Steve

Offline carolmc

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 22 April 20 09:58 BST (UK) »
Hi no nothing about records, but I worked at the hospital in 1966 for County Library. It was mainly TB and geriatic patients. TB patients were pushed outside onto the verandas, it was all single story buildings. During the 1950's children had tonsils removed there. carolmc

Offline Steve C

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 22 April 20 21:02 BST (UK) »
Thank you for your reply carolmc  ;D

I dont know why he went to Markfield Hospital hence the original posting. I have since contacted the people in the link kindly given by KGarrod and the reply I got stated "Unfortunately since 1991 any records on patients are destroyed if not seen within 8 years".

Thank you again carolmc for your contribution and the insight you give, very much appreciated.

Steve