Author Topic: Eliza Jane Kirkpatrick (later Reid) 1883 Glasgow - 1967 Kirn, Argyll  (Read 431 times)

Offline A.McGowan

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Eliza Jane Kirkpatrick (later Reid) 1883 Glasgow - 1967 Kirn, Argyll
« on: Sunday 12 April 20 23:10 BST (UK) »
I am the historian for Chess Scotland: https://www.chessscotland.com/documents/history/latest_additions.htm

I am trying to confirm if the above lady was the same 'Mrs Elza Reid, Blantyre' who participated in the chess problem solving competition of the Glasgow Herald chess column from 1936 to at least 1958.

Although a newcomer to the column, it was not too long before she dominated the competition. The subject is a strong candidate, but I need further information before I can create a brief biography for her for the Chess Scotland site.

Eliza Jane Kirkpatrick was born March 30, 1883 in Dennistoun, Glasgow. She married John Reid (1886-1963) in Glasgow in 1914. Her name then was shown as Elizabeth. The Valuation Rolls for 1915 and 1925 show their address as 25 Benview St., Glasgow.

From 1936-1953 Mrs Reid was shown as residing in Blantyre, but by 1953 this had changed to Innellan. I am not sure when she moved, because not every Glasgow Herald column referred to her whereabouts. One thought I had was that her husband - described as a master grocer at the time of his death - might have retired around this time, hence the move.

Ancestry.com has the John Reid family tree, but only the basic details are given for Eliza/Elza/Elizabeth.

Any help greatly appreciated and will be credited. It would be nice to give this lady a place in the Chess Scotland History Archive.

Thank you.

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
Re: Eliza Jane Kirkpatrick (later Reid) 1883 Glasgow - 1967 Kirn, Argyll
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 14 April 20 20:59 BST (UK) »
Hi there

Welcome to RootsChat  :)

Hard search here. This period you are looking at is always so difficult to do online.

Do you know the names of the parents for Eliza Jane b. 1883? (Added: Robert Kilpatrick and Agnes Lundie?).

What made you think that she could be a possible candidate for the person you are reseaching?

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline A.McGowan

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 14 April 20 21:39 BST (UK) »
Hello Monica.

Her parents were Robert Kirkpatrick and Agnes, m.s. Smyth[e], who married in Ireland in December 1876.

I latched on to Eliza after extensive searches in the online British Newspaper Archive and ScotlandsPeople, and after seeing the family tree that included John Reid. I looked for deaths in Argyll that might fit the details (Eliza/Elza/Elizabeth).

The last mention of 'Mrs Reid, Innellan' was in the May 23 1958 chess column of the Glasgow Herald. Her death was registered at Dunoon, with a home address in Kirn. Of course, there may have been another move after their arrival in Innellan.

I posted something to a Blantyre family history site, but without success.

Although I am the Chess Scotland historian I live in Canada, so local research is not possible. And, as mentioned, I cannot be certain that this is the correct Mrs Reid, but if you don't try...

Alan

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 14 April 20 21:51 BST (UK) »
I did see a John Reid, provision merchant, in the 1940s British Phone Books (Ancestry). Would need to refind it to reconfirm number but showing at Glasgow Road. This roads falls between Hamilton and Blantyre I believe but not a 100% on this area.

In the 1940 valuation rolls there are two entries for:

John REID
Tenant
STORE 44/42 GLASGOW RD
HAMILTON
VR003800057-

John REID
Tenant
SHOP AND CELLAR 38/36 GLASGOW ROAD
HAMILTON
VR003800057-

These show on the same page. No further details to the entries.

Monica

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 14 April 20 22:01 BST (UK) »

The last mention of 'Mrs Reid, Innellan' was in the May 23 1958 chess column of the Glasgow Herald. Her death was registered at Dunoon, with a home address in Kirn. Of course, there may have been another move after their arrival in Innellan.

The references to Innellan and then Kirn makes it all very close by, therefore, very possible they could have moved villages in those later years.

What would help enormously now would be a check of the electoral rolls in those years for those two areas. This type of search can only be done in person by a library that holds this historical records. But, with everything in lockdown at present, maybe something to consider a request for in the future?

Have you reviewed their death certs? Who reported the deaths of John and Eliza?

Monica

Offline A.McGowan

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 14 April 20 22:16 BST (UK) »
Monica,

Thank you for latest comments. Much appreciated.

I had been checking Macdonald's Scottish Scottish Directories for business listings in Blantyre, but without success. The telephone book listings look promising. With that information, I might again approach the Blantyre family history site.

I have it in mind to ask for help with Lanarkshire Voters' Rolls. I had approached the Dunoon Library, but got no help there.

Death certificates:
John Reid, 1963 - S. Kirkpatrick, brother-in-law, address in Glasgow.
Elizabeth Jane Reid, 1967 - S. Kirkpatrick, brother (no address).

Alan

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 14 April 20 22:26 BST (UK) »
The Glasgow Electoral Registers are available on Ancestry, but specific to the main Glasgow area (and so cumbersome to search  :-\). You would need those that cover Blantyre and the surrounding areas (www.slleisureandculture.co.uk/info/103/local_history_heritage_and_family_history)

It is hard with everything shut down at present.

I wonder if they had any children? Nothing to reference for them, if they did have children, so far

Monica

Added: Sorry, forgot! There are also electoral registers for North Lanarkshire up 1847-1969. We need South Lanarkshire for Blantyre.