Author Topic: Sir Charles Smith  (Read 490 times)

Offline ConciergeSA

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
Sir Charles Smith
« on: Monday 13 April 20 18:15 BST (UK) »
Derek
My grandfather was Mervyn Gilbert Smith. Phyllis was his sister. I used to spend time with Phyllis in Howick. She made the best rhubarb pudding. Their father was James Herbert Smith.

I'm working on a family tree but can't find much info on James Herbert or his wife (my great grandmother) Mary Elizabeth Smith (nee Thomas). William and Sarah Ann were James Herbert's parents.

Any further info. would be of great interest to me.

Regards, Janine Smith

Hi to all, interesting to read this thread as I too am related to the Smith family which is mentioned in a book written by Phyllis Wadsworth William Smith a Natal Settler of 1850. I have a copy of this book so if anybody needs info on the Smith name I have it.Unfortunately it is only accurate up to 1990, Phyllis retired to Howick and I have not heard from her for awhile now.The Smith families all started off at York and then spread out.

Here is the link just to show how most people are connected in some way.William Smith came out on the Haidee in 1850.One of the children was also a William.He married a Sarah Ann Taylor who also came out on the Haidee.They had 10 children!!Number 5 was Matthew Henry Smith b 30/8/1864 and died 29/4/1957 a year before I was born.He married a Annie Ruth (Nancy) Crookes at Sevenoaks Natal.She was born in 1876 and died 7/1/1930 at Smithfield farm Creighton.These were my great grandparents.They had 2 children Annie Maud my gran who married a Daniel Alborough and a son Matthew Arthur (Artie) Smith.Most of the Smith families started off at York which I believe is now a ghost town before moving to other areas.

I am also related to the Alborough family who followed  Bishop Colenso to South Africa arriving in May 1855. The Alboroughs were mainly in Boston,PMB areas etc.I also have a family tree covering most of the people involved. I now live in Brisbane and find it difficult to get family to fill in the gaps however I do have a lot of names on my tree so anyone looking for relatives on this side can contact me.

Lastly on my fathers side his dad William P Austin came to South Africa in 1899 to fight in the Boer war and I have just finished researching that name as well if anybody is interested.

Regards Derek

Offline cath151

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Sir Charles Smith
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 14 April 20 14:33 BST (UK) »
Hi,
Welcome to Rootschat :)
Familysearch.org have some good S A records you might like to browse.
This looks like James Herbert Smiths death https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:3Q9M-CS7R-V4NP-M?cc=2573604&personaUrl=%2Fark%3A%2F61903%2F1%3A1%3AQPWD-Z9QS

Cathy
Sinnock/Sinnicks...Brighton,Greenwich.
Clements,Coles,Mc Donagh,Rock

Census InformationCrown Copyright from www.national archives.gov.uk

Offline pampoen

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Sir Charles Smith
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 29 April 20 10:15 BST (UK) »
Hi Janine sorry I only saw your post today.
William Smith baptised 27/9/1829 d 22/8/1917 at Thornhill. Married 28/3/1861 in PMB to Sarah Ann Taylor. They had 10 children.
1. Sarah Ann
2. Catherine Jane
3. Matthew Henry my great grandfather.
4. Alfred William
5. Frederick Charles
6. Amy Elizabeth
7. William Thomas
8. James Herbert b 22/1/1875 d31/5/1946 married 19/2/1903 Mary Elizabeth Thomas b 25/6/1880 d 12/2/1976.
9. Ernest Edwin
10. Evelyn Robert
I can supply the rest but will have to scan it first.

You need to make 3 posts on the forum and then we can send personal messages to each other.
Regards
Austin, Ayling, Alborough, Bescoby, Cheal, Groom,Rathbone,Tarboton,Lyell and Smith.