Author Topic: Military history for Thomas Theophilus Seller b about 1855, Australia  (Read 1149 times)

Offline stannarp

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Military history for Thomas Theophilus Seller b about 1855, Australia
« on: Monday 13 April 20 19:51 BST (UK) »
Hi all,

So a member of my family kindly shared quite an interesting document with me recently, much of it lists the military activities of the above Thomas Theophilus Seller b abt 1855, Australia, written by one of his daughters (spelling errors in "" hers not mine, all others, mine!)

I find it interesting for a few reasons, one of which being that, thanks to others researching this family I have quite a lot of background information about him, which puts the military activity into more context; another being of course that it fleshes out the dry list of names and dates that family history can become and puts a bit of flesh on the bones so to speak.

However, I'm battling to find evidence of some of the military stuff, and was wondering if anyone could point me in a direction of verifying it ...

Here are the excerpts to do with military history, there is a bunch of other stuff there which is quite interesting, but the gist of the stuff I'm trying to verify is here:

"... Thomas Theophilus Seller came out to South Africa as a member of the Australian Expeditionary Force and landed at East London in 1879 to take part in the Native War of that period, he obtained his discharge from the A.E.F. at the termination of hostilities ... Dad was a member of the Australian Brigade formed in Johannesburg to go to the relief of Sir Star Jamieson at the time of the ill fated Jamieson Raid in 1896/7.  He was also a member of the Trade Council Relief Committee to negotiate with President Kruger for the release of the Raiders & Sir Star Jamieson (a photograph of the committee taken on the stoep of President Krugers residence in Church Street Pretoria is still in the [bottom line of scanned document cut off therefore illegible]…arose after the Jamieson Raid, the Family moved down to East London and Dad joined up with the Kaffrarian Rifles and saw much service in the Eastern Cape and was present at the Siege of Wepner in the Free State.  After Wepener Dad joined Govinge’s Flying Column and saw much service in the Cape, Free State and Transvall until hostilities ceased in 1902 ... On the outbreak of the First World War in September 1914, Dad was again in the Forces, he served throughout the German West Africa Campaign, after which he applied for further service overseas but on account of age could not enlist ..."

A few questions:

1) "Thomas Theophilus Seller came out to South Africa as a member of the Australian Expeditionary Force and landed at East London in 1879"

I cannot find any information abut the Australian Expeditionary Force prior to 1900 - did it actually exist, and would I be able to find any information about who served in it and what they did?

2) "Dad was a member of the Australian Brigade formed in Johannesburg to go to the relief of Sir Star Jamieson at the time of the ill fated Jamieson Raid in 1896/7."

I cannot find a reference to an Australian Brigade in relation to the Jamieson Raid - does anyone know anything about this?

3) "Trade Council Relief Committee to negotiate with President Kruger"

Another thing I can't find anything about - little is said in the articles I've read about the negotiations for Jamieson's release, and nothing about a body called the Trade Council Relief Committee...?

4) "Dad joined up with the Kaffrarian Rifles and saw much service in the Eastern Cape and was present at the Siege of Wepner in the Free State.  After Wepener Dad joined Govinge’s Flying Column and saw much service in the Cape, Free State and Transvall until hostilities ceased in 1902."

I've been able to find records of T Seller and TT Seller in both the Kaffrarian Rifles and Govinge's Flying Column, so that I have been able to verify.

Kaffrarian Rifles (Service # 962)
Gorringe's Flying Column, LOL, not Govinge's (Service # 35193)

5) "On the outbreak of the First World War in September 1914, Dad was again in the Forces, he served throughout the German West Africa Campaign, after which he applied for further service overseas but on account of age could not enlist"

I've searched for any records of a T or TT, Thomas or Theophilus Seller in WW1, but not found anything.  He would have been over 60 at the time though, which makes me wonder if he wasn't doing something a bit more colourful (from what I know of him, this is quite possible) than serving in the war between 1914 and 1916 when he left his South African family and decamped back to Australia.

Can anyone point me in the direction of service records for the German West Africa Campaign
???

Thanks in advance!

Patricia

Current Research:
RYAN (Waterford, Ireland), BENNETT (Queenstown, South Africa), SELLER (Australia)

Top Surnames:

PHILLIPS (Stithians, Cornwall)
STANNARD (Long Stratton, Norfolk)
CAVE (Milbourne Port, Somerset)
SELLER (Staffordshire)
ROSE (Somerset)
SAUNDERS (Idmiston, Wiltshire)
SADLER (Somerset)
MERCER (Donhead St Andrew, Wiltshire)
VINCENT (Wiltshire)
SPARGO (Stithians, Cornwall)

https://stannardroseza.blogspot.com/

Offline MaxD

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Military history for Thomas Theophilus Seller b about 1855, Australia
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 14 April 20 10:08 BST (UK) »
Best to look at each time frame in turn.

1879 was the date of the Anglo Zulu War.  Australia did not federate until 1901 and I find only anecdotal evidence that some individual Australians took part but there was no formed Australian force.
The Jameson (spelling thus) raid took place in Dec 95/Jan 96 and the Jameson force surrendered, there doesn’t appear to have been any “relief”.

In this time period, if he took part it seems to have been as an individual, there are no records I know of that would substantiate his participation (or not).

You have found the next segment OK.

The Kaffrarian Rifles segment relates to the Anglo Boer War 1899-1902.  A T Sellers (with an s) appears on the nominal roll:
https://www.angloboerwar.com/unit-information/south-african-units/348-kaffrarian-rifles?start=1
Gorringes (spelling) Flying Column was also a S African unit.  A  T T Seller does appear in the nominal roll
 https://www.angloboerwar.com/unit-information/south-african-units/338-gorringes-flying-column?start=1

Both these were South African units and although their medal records appear in British records, their service records don't, if they exist they are in S Africa.

I find no British or Australian WW1 records for his name.  If he served with S African forces then his records are held by them.

You might like to read up on the Anglo Zulu war and the Jameson raid and make your own mind up about that period.

The Anglo Boer War site has good stuff on each unit.

WW1 - your call

MaxD
I am Zoe Northeast, granddaughter of Maximilian Double.

It is with great difficulty I share with you that in the early hours of 07 August 2021, Maximilian passed away unexpectedly but peacefully.

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk
Randle/Millington Warwicks
Sokser/Klingler Austria/Croatia

Offline stannarp

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 14 April 20 19:24 BST (UK) »
Hi Max,

Thanks for the reply and the pointers - I did quite a lot of background on South African History by default when I was at school, being South African; but few of the items that confused me in my post made sense in that context to me either.

I'll continue to look for him as and when the urge takes me :)

Regards,

Patricia

Current Research:
RYAN (Waterford, Ireland), BENNETT (Queenstown, South Africa), SELLER (Australia)

Top Surnames:

SELLER (Staffordshire)
ROSE (Somerset)
SADLER (Somerset)
VINCENT (Wiltshire)

Offline wivenhoe

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 15 April 20 01:11 BST (UK) »

When and where did Thomas Theophilus Seller die?

Offline Jamjar

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Scottish GGGrandmother-Grace MORRISON née JARDINE
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 15 April 20 01:40 BST (UK) »

When and where did Thomas Theophilus Seller die?

Looks to be him:

Marriage: 63/1850 V185063 36B SELLER Frederick to CRANE Susannah CX

Birth: 2924/1855 V18552924 42B parents FREDERICK and SUSANNAH

Marriage: 1399/1875 SELLER Thomas Theophilus to CARLIN Rosanna NEWTOWN

Death: 20114/1943 parents FREDERICK and SUSAN at MANLY

Death notice, 2nd column: http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article17859667

written by one of his daughters

If this is him, he only had 1 daughter, Mildred, who was born 4746/1878, and one son Thomas F born 4352/1877.

Having said that, he was charged with desertion of Rosanna, so may have remarried and more children.

Jamjar
Atkinson; Badier; Cameron; Grant; Howie; Jardine; Jenkins; Kerr; Lawardorn; Lee; Linton; Lonie; McConnell; Morgan; Morrison; Murphy; O'Leary; Paton; Pratt; Robb; Williams

Offline stannarp

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 18 April 20 13:16 BST (UK) »
Hi there,

Thanks so much for this!

@Jamjar, can you let me know where you found the info about him deserting Rosanna Carlin, I'm interested in finding out more about that - being a descendant of the woman he deserted her for :o

Regards,

Patricia
Current Research:

Top Surnames:

SELLER (Staffordshire)
ROSE (Somerset)
SADLER (Somerset)
VINCENT (Wiltshire)

Offline Jamjar

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Scottish GGGrandmother-Grace MORRISON née JARDINE
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 18 April 20 22:36 BST (UK) »
Desertion, bottom of 2nd last column: http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article108733713

Jamjar
Atkinson; Badier; Cameron; Grant; Howie; Jardine; Jenkins; Kerr; Lawardorn; Lee; Linton; Lonie; McConnell; Morgan; Morrison; Murphy; O'Leary; Paton; Pratt; Robb; Williams

Offline stannarp

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 19 April 20 09:59 BST (UK) »
Thanks Jamjar, useful resource ... apparently he was also charged with desertion of my g-grandmother, Eliza Bennett in 1889, but it seems they stayed together and returned to South Africa after.

Wed 18 Sep 1889

Thomas Theophilus. — Thomas Theopliilus Seller (33), described as a carpenter, was charged with unlawfully deserting his wife, Eliza Seller. He denied desertion, but his Worship thought otherwise, and ordered him to pay 15s. a week towards her support.

https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/227584907?searchTerm=thomas%20theophilus%20seller&searchLimits=exactPhraseanyWordsnotWordsrequestHandlerdateFrom=1860-01-01dateTo=1943-12-31l-advstate=New+South+Walessortbyl-category=Article
Current Research:

Top Surnames:

SELLER (Staffordshire)
ROSE (Somerset)
SADLER (Somerset)
VINCENT (Wiltshire)