Author Topic: Edward EDWARDS born Holywell c. 1826/7  (Read 1610 times)

Offline Antony Edwards

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Edward EDWARDS born Holywell c. 1826/7
« on: Monday 13 April 20 20:58 BST (UK) »
For some years, I have been trying to locate the baptism if my great great grandfather.  According to census returns he was born in Holywell in around 1826/7.  I also know from his marriage certificate (he married Anne Wain in 1848 at the Cyssegr Chapel, Heol Mostyn) that his father was also called Edward.  Frustratingly, I’ve also been unable to locate him on the 1841 census when he would have been aged around 14.  Some years ago, I trawled the various baptism registers available at the Records Office but to no avail.  I wondered if anyone knew whether there are any records which have become more recently available that might help.....?

Offline wrjones

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Edward EDWARDS born Holywell c. 1826/7
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 14 April 20 16:31 BST (UK) »
The only possible I can see in 1841 is one mispelt with the Surname "Edward" without the s .Age is a bit out given as 20 yr old and the son of possibly Edward and Margaret "Edward".

Regards
William Russell Jones.
Jones, Griffiths. Stephens, Parry, Gabriel, Conway, Hughes, Evans, Roberts, Lea, Hanmer. Peake, Edwards. Newnes, Davies. Thomas. "Blythin".
All North Wales.
Conway, Durber, Cartlidge, Lovatt, Bebington. Brindley, Sankey, Brunt. Dean. Clewes. Rhodes. Mountford,Walker,Bache, "Gibbons"Hood. Taylor
All Stoke-on-Trent.
Francis - Nantwich Cheshire.
Dennell - Cheshire/Staffordshire.
Talbot-Shropshire
Census Information Is Crown Copyright,from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline wrjones

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 14 April 20 16:35 BST (UK) »
For some years, I have been trying to locate the baptism if my great great grandfather.  According to census returns he was born in Holywell in around 1826/7.  I also know from his marriage certificate (he married Anne Wain in 1848 at the Cyssegr Chapel, Heol Mostyn) that his father was also called Edward.  Frustratingly, I’ve also been unable to locate him on the 1841 census when he would have been aged around 14.  Some years ago, I trawled the various baptism registers available at the Records Office but to no avail.  I wondered if anyone knew whether there are any records which have become more recently available that might help.....?

My apologies,I wish you a very warm welcome to Rootschat.

Regards
William Russell Jones
Jones, Griffiths. Stephens, Parry, Gabriel, Conway, Hughes, Evans, Roberts, Lea, Hanmer. Peake, Edwards. Newnes, Davies. Thomas. "Blythin".
All North Wales.
Conway, Durber, Cartlidge, Lovatt, Bebington. Brindley, Sankey, Brunt. Dean. Clewes. Rhodes. Mountford,Walker,Bache, "Gibbons"Hood. Taylor
All Stoke-on-Trent.
Francis - Nantwich Cheshire.
Dennell - Cheshire/Staffordshire.
Talbot-Shropshire
Census Information Is Crown Copyright,from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline osprey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 14 April 20 16:50 BST (UK) »
Welcome from me too!

What details do you have for your Edward? Where is he in later census entries? What is his occupation and that of his father? Are the names of the witnesses to the marriage any help in tracing him?

The marriage took place in an independent church. If he was non-conformist, there probably won't be a parish baptism to find. Are there baptisms for the children of this couple?

He is old enough not be with his parents in 1841. Is there an address given on the marriage cert?
Cornwall: Allen, Bevan, Bosisto, Carnpezzack, Donithorn, Huddy, James, Retallack, Russell, Vincent, Yeoman
Cards: Thomas (Llanbadarn Fawr)
Glam: Bowler, Cram, Galloway, James, Thomas, Watkins
Lincs: Coupland, Cram
Mon: Cram, Gwyn, John, Philpot, Smart, Watkins
Pembs: Edwards (St. Dogmael's)
Yorks: Airey, Bowler, Elliott, Hare, Hewitt, Kellett, Kemp, Stephenson, Tebb

Offline Antony Edwards

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 18 April 20 21:14 BST (UK) »
Many thanks for the welcome everyone.

The witnesses to the marriage are William and Margaret Trueman.  I believe these were a married couple and that William is the cousin of Anne Wain.

My ggf’s occupation is consistently described as a coal miner in later census returns (namely 1851 in Burslem, Staffs and then afterwards in various locations in County Durham).  On the marriage certificate, both parties are described as living in Greenfield at the time of the marriage, which may be odd given the distance between there and Heol Mostyn.

I’ve never been able to pin him down on the 1841 census when he would have been around 14.  I guess it’s an awkward age as he will have been working and therefore potentially living away from his parents.  There is a large extended family of Edwards’s in New and Old Quay, Greenfield in 1841 and amongst them a couple named Edward and Mary with a 6 year old daughter named Grace.  I’ve homed in on these as potential parents for my Edward and discovered that they married at the parish church in Holywell and then appear to flit between there and Manchester in the 1820’s and 1830’s.  There is no sign of a baptism however that might tie my Edward to them

Offline Jo Harding

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 19 April 20 14:53 BST (UK) »
It is possible that Edward Edwards bc1826/7 may have been baptised in a non conformist chapel. The fact that he married in a non conformist chapel makes this more likely.

There were very many non conformist chapels in Holywell at that time. It is the case with non conformist chapels that their records tended not to survive and few are in existence today. Genuki lists the non conformist chapels that existed in Holywell and advises on the records that can be accessed for these:

https://www.genuki.org.uk/big/wal/FLN/Holywell

I regret to say you may never find the baptism for Edward Edwards.

Jo

Offline osprey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 19 April 20 14:56 BST (UK) »
I have to agree with Jo. If he married in a nonconformist church there may well be no baptism to find.

The witnesses are the William & Margaret Trueman living in Greenfield in 1851 HO107/2500 folio 460 pg 26. William Married Margaret Huxley 26 Nov 1842 in Holywell.

There are some possible burials in Holywell for father Edward if he had died before 1841 census
aged 38 31 Dec 1832
aged 44 26 Sept 1831

possible marriages in Holywell
Edward Edwards & Mary Jones 28 Feb 1824, witnesses David Edwards & Sarah Perry
Edward Edwards of Flint & Elizabeth Clement, witnesses Edward Young & Margaret Clement. Marriage was licence and Elizabeth under 21, consent given by her father William.

Not finding any obvious links so far.

:-\
Cornwall: Allen, Bevan, Bosisto, Carnpezzack, Donithorn, Huddy, James, Retallack, Russell, Vincent, Yeoman
Cards: Thomas (Llanbadarn Fawr)
Glam: Bowler, Cram, Galloway, James, Thomas, Watkins
Lincs: Coupland, Cram
Mon: Cram, Gwyn, John, Philpot, Smart, Watkins
Pembs: Edwards (St. Dogmael's)
Yorks: Airey, Bowler, Elliott, Hare, Hewitt, Kellett, Kemp, Stephenson, Tebb

Offline Talacharn

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 19 April 20 15:12 BST (UK) »
There are issues with the 1841 Census, especially missing information in Flintshire. If the person resided in one of the areas listed, they may never be found.
https://www.findmypast.co.uk/articles/census-for-england-wales-and-scotland-missing-pieces

Offline Antony Edwards

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 20 April 20 21:25 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the replies.  I have homed in on Edward Edwards and Mary Jones previously.  Based on their marriage occurring it the correct time and the fact that the6 lived in Greenfield, I  would still have them as the most likely parents to my Edward.  I know that in 1841 they are residing in New Quay, Greenfield with a 6 year old daughter named Grace who was born in Manchester.  They seem to have moved between Holywell and Manchester before this point.  If my assumption is correct, then it would follow that the 14 year old Edward would therefore have to be living and working elsewhere.  I’ve trawled Flintshire and also Manchester for 1841 and can’t find a match.  There are some Edward Edwards’s who are 15 and seemingly living away from their parents on the census, but nothing about the other residents that might enable me to make a link; even a tenuous one.