Author Topic: researching surname dick  (Read 710 times)

Offline Emaa_x

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: researching surname dick
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 03 March 24 17:39 GMT (UK) »
hi monica thank you for your reply. yes the childrens home is in Aboyne. i have the details for my granny Elizabeths death.

-------------------------------
Elizabeth finley Dick
B:1948 Aberdeen, Aberdeenshire, Scotland

D:2019 Lynemore, care, home, Grantown-On-Spey, Inverness-shire, Scotland

---------------------------------

its helen im unsure of all i know is helen dick was her name (unsure if helen was married) she had a son called ian/iain and she fostered my granny.

yes terence welford and elizabeth welford were my grandparents. (my dads mum and dad)

yes the families were scottish based, terence and elizabeth spend there years lived in fearn when they had 3 children, stephen, iona and roger (my dad)

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 04 March 24 21:22 GMT (UK) »
From what I have found:

Elizabeth Findlay Dick was born to Muriel Dick in 1948 (Aberdeen Northern District).

Muriel Dick, mother, was born on 29 December 1923 in New Pitsligo. Her parents were a James Dick, labourer, and Elizabeth Findlay (Muriel named her daughter after her mother). Parents married in 1910 in Fraserburgh.

Muriel had a brother called James Dick who was born in 1911 in Pitsligo. James Dick, a grocer's assistant, married Helen Anderson Simpson in Aberdeen in 1939. I would say that this is the Helen Dick that you have in your family history.

From earlier, you have Helen Anderson Dick or Simpson's death in Bucksburn in 1989. Bucksburn again you have mentioned as a location that is relevant. Husband James Dick, mother's maiden name Findlay, also died in Buckburn in 1976 at the age of 64.

Muriel Dick, aged 71, mother's maiden name of Findlay, died in Aberdeen in 1994. Not sure if she married or remained single. I can only see one surname coming up on the main index for her.

So, I do think your Grandmother Elizabeth Findlay Dick was taken in by extended family after whatever the period she was in the children's home in Aboyne. In this case, it was her maternal Uncle James and his wife Helen.

HOWEVER  ;D You do need to verify this info. I can send you the couple of certs that I have viewed but you would need to follow up on the other details to be certain that what we are seeing on the index and from searches is correct. Later certificates would need to be ordered online (as they are not available to view online) from Scotlands People or if you are in Scotland and can visit one of the main genealogy centres, you can view the details up in person.

Monica

Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 04 March 24 22:15 GMT (UK) »
This is the death notice of James Dick, brother to Muriel, who died in Bucksburn in 1976. This appeared in the Aberdeen Evening Express 18 March 1976. Helps confirm things further with mention of his son and wife.

I wonder if this is where his wife Helen was also buried? If so, could this also be where your grandmnother Elizabeth was also buried (or her ashes taken if cremated)?
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk