Author Topic: Stay Home Stay Safe (Part 10)  (Read 15911 times)

Offline suey

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • The light is on but there's no-one at home!
    • View Profile
Re: Stay Home Stay Safe (Part 10)
« Reply #36 on: Thursday 16 April 20 18:31 BST (UK) »
Well, just to add to the mayhem,news this lunchtime,Italy thinks the rest of Europe did not act swiftly enough to help Italy!

Now ,,the world ,including Italy of course , could blame a country which has been mentioned quite often as the source of Covid 19,
but many of those who did were rather shot down!
If that is indeed the case what have we all the right to expect from the aforesaid country ?
My hope  is that  we once again produce much more in our own country.
Are more reliant on home industries so employment reaches a good level and we are not such a benefit oriented culture as people are employed in good jobs.
It seems now we are bringing  in foreign workers to pick crops that otherwise would rot in the fields
I don’t understand that —-
What an upheaval , and what does the future hold for the little children playing in their gardens in the sunshine all round me.
My second son is 61 today ,  working at his home , so short phone call but will speak again this evening.
Well my tulips are almost open, Allium big and strong , everlasting sweet pea up and strong,the Peony I thought had succumbed is looking healthy ,so are many more plants in my front and rear gardens.
Sikkensed the bench and table,then did my neighbour’s gate which needed doing she mentioned , just in passing ,not a request but it took all of ten minutes !
Off to get the Sikkens from my hands,arms and feet! ::

It would serve Italy right if we never ate spaghetti again!
And the other place ,well, what can I say ——-
I will leave it to others .
Viktoria.
Please don’t be Cross with me, remember I had a baby today!

The answer to that might be because when a family member made enquiries they were told that if they took new employment they would lose their entitlement to furlough money, they deemed it more cost effective to stay at home! 
All census lookups are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Sussex - Knapp. Nailard. Potten. Coleman. Pomfrey. Carter. Picknell
Greenwich/Woolwich. - Clowting. Davis. Kitts. Ferguson. Lowther. Carvalho. Pressman. Redknap. Argent.
Hertfordshire - Sturgeon. Bird. Rule. Claxton. Taylor. Braggins

Online Viktoria

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Thursday 16 April 20 18:46 BST (UK) »
Yes but on a TV programme quite some time ago, Polish workers were up at the crack of dawn, knocking the ice off vegetables.
Nothing to do with Corona Virus,before that .

Some English youngsters were whining that foreigners  took their jobs.
Bussed out to the fields of Lincolnshire on a dark Winter morning they lasted until the morning break, then walked off site  and did not go back!

Viktoria.

Offline Mike in Cumbria

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Thursday 16 April 20 18:52 BST (UK) »
Big delivery today from Rosario:  2 dozen oranges, 1 large babaco, 4 maracuyá, 5 grenadillas, 4 naranjillas, 6 apples, 6 tangerines, a bunch of bananas, 4 beets, 1 lb of chochos, a small bag of fava beans, 4 choclos, 1 large yuca, a cheese, a dozen eggs, 8 liters of milk, half a liter of sunflower oil and a pound of pork.  $29.50.

Ah, it feels good to be stocked up.

I do enjoy these glimpses into Ecuadorian lockdown.

Offline suey

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • The light is on but there's no-one at home!
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Thursday 16 April 20 19:26 BST (UK) »
Yes but on a TV programme quite some time ago, Polish workers were up at the crack of dawn, knocking the ice off vegetables.
Nothing to do with Corona Virus,before that .

Some English youngsters were whining that foreigners  took their jobs.
Bussed out to the fields of Lincolnshire on a dark Winter morning they lasted until the morning break, then walked off site  and did not go back!

Viktoria.

We’ve made it too easy for the lazy b****rs, why get out of bed for minimum wages when you can sit at home, smoke and drink and play on the PlayStation, believe me when I say I know more than one of these 😡

We are all partly to blame. We want cheap food and we’ve got used to it, supermarkets don’t help, they pay as little as they can get away with, you only have to look at milk prices. 
We have a cousin who cleans the cabins that are provided for the workers on a fruit farm. She tells me that they work like demons, have low living costs while they are here, work for the season and take the money back to their families. They can live well for the rest of the year on what they make and return again the following year. Would our lazy so and so’s do that...not a chance.
All census lookups are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Sussex - Knapp. Nailard. Potten. Coleman. Pomfrey. Carter. Picknell
Greenwich/Woolwich. - Clowting. Davis. Kitts. Ferguson. Lowther. Carvalho. Pressman. Redknap. Argent.
Hertfordshire - Sturgeon. Bird. Rule. Claxton. Taylor. Braggins

Online Erato

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Old Powder House, 1703
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Thursday 16 April 20 19:42 BST (UK) »
"I do enjoy these glimpses into Ecuadorian lockdown."

So far, my food supply system is holding up well.  Rodolfo swung by later on his bike to complete the delivery with a gigantic cabbage - $1.50.  It was the dogs' lucky day - one of the eggs was broken; they'll get that with their supper.
Wiltshire:  Banks, Taylor
Somerset:  Duddridge, Richards, Barnard, Pillinger
Gloucestershire:  Barnard, Marsh, Crossman
Bristol:  Banks, Duddridge, Barnard
Down:  Ennis, McGee
Wicklow:  Chapman, Pepper
Wigtownshire:  Logan, Conning
Wisconsin:  Ennis, Chapman, Logan, Ware
Maine:  Ware, Mitchell, Tarr, Davis

Offline Llwyd

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Searching,forever searching!!!.
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Thursday 16 April 20 20:47 BST (UK) »
Conspiracies and smokescreens?. Eat yer heart out Machiavelli!.
 :)
Humphreys; originating in Montgomeryshire and spreading out locally, nationally and internationally.
"Yma o hyd".

Offline Mike in Cumbria

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Thursday 16 April 20 21:12 BST (UK) »

We have a cousin who cleans the cabins that are provided for the workers on a fruit farm. She tells me that they work like demons, have low living costs while they are here, work for the season and take the money back to their families. They can live well for the rest of the year on what they make and return again the following year. Would our lazy so and so’s do that...not a chance.

Would you?

Offline ms_canuck

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Thursday 16 April 20 21:42 BST (UK) »
Just to add some perspective from this side of the pond...

My son in law is a bus driver for the Toronto Transit Commission (TTC) - he has been driving for more than 10 years.  He had to ask for a Doctor to sign him off a couple of weeks ago because the stuff they were using to disinfect the buses was triggering his asthma (he apparently is not the only driver experiencing this).  Last week, he started experience a low grade fever (38c) so to be cautious he has been tested and is awaiting the results.  My daughter is sleeping on the couch.  The two kids (age 7) are understandably worried. 

Last night he texted to ask if I had some disinfectant spray, which I did - about 1/2 a can - I waited until I knew the kids would be in bed and dropped it into their mailbox (it's about a 20 minute drive).

Today some bus drivers briefly walked off the job because they don't feel adequately protected.  A perspex shield and boarding passengers from the rear doors is pretty much all that's been done.  Today the Mayor of Toronto said "if they had wanted masks, they only had to ask" (and he was roundly criticized for that 'let them eat cake' attitude)!

I hope my son in law's test comes back negative - he seems to have only mild symptoms if it is indeed C-19.

Stay Home.  Stay Safe.

Ms_C

Edit:  April 17 - his test was negative.  Fever persisted so he went to the hospital.  Doctors discovered what the problem was and a simple procedure was required.  He is now safely back home with a very happy family!

1. Paul - Guernsey 1801
2. Ettenton / Eltenton - Guernsey 1806

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: Thursday 16 April 20 23:28 BST (UK) »

Blooming immigrants, coming over here and clapping for our carers.

Not to mention them working as carers and for the NHS.  :)
Cowban