Author Topic: Old Country Houses of the Old Glasgow Gentry  (Read 1926 times)

Offline Rena

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copyright: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Old Country Houses of the Old Glasgow Gentry
« Reply #18 on: Saturday 18 April 20 19:20 BST (UK) »
Please don't read any significance into spelling. 'Correct' spelling is a relatively recent concept, dating from the end of the 19th century. Some clerks would write Cum, and others would write Crumm.

Oh but I do.  In the days when a cash receipt from a shop had to record the name of the purchaser my mother would answer  the enquiry as to her name with;  "Mrs Crum".

Those who have, shall we say, uncommon surnames will know there are different reactions.

1)  The very polite assistant/clerk who, using a BBC voice, will pronounce any vowel, Crimm, Cramm, Crom,  but not a "u" as in "Crum"

2) Then there's the individual who thinks;  I know what I heard but it can't be "Crum" so I'll scrawl an illegible surname

I do accept that during an age when not everyone had been given a bible from which it was expected they could learn to read, there were deviations - such as my Halliday Shearen family from Norfolk who travelled down to Cambridgeshire, where the strong dialect in 1851 translated the surname to Sharring.
Aberdeen: Findlay-Shirras,McCarthy: MidLothian: Mason,Telford,Darling,Cruikshanks,Bennett,Sime, Bell: Lanarks:Crum, Brown, MacKenzie,Cameron, Glen, Millar; Ross: Urray:Mackenzie:  Moray: Findlay; Marshall/Marischell: Perthshire: Brown Ferguson: Wales: McCarthy, Thomas: England: Almond, Askin, Dodson, Well(es). Harrison, Maw, McCarthy, Munford, Pye, Shearing, Smith, Smythe, Speight, Strike, Wallis/Wallace, Ward, Wells;Germany: Flamme,Ehlers, Bielstein, Germer, Mohlm, Reupke

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Saturday 18 April 20 20:11 BST (UK) »
Please don't read any significance into spelling. 'Correct' spelling is a relatively recent concept, dating from the end of the 19th century. Some clerks would write Crum, and others would write Crumm.
Oh but I do.
I doubt if your memory goes back as far as the end of the 19th century.

If you imagine that different spellings before then had any significance at all, then you will succeed only in making your research more difficult.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Rena

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copyright: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Sunday 19 April 20 00:09 BST (UK) »
Please don't read any significance into spelling. 'Correct' spelling is a relatively recent concept, dating from the end of the 19th century. Some clerks would write Crum, and others would write Crumm.
Oh but I do.
I doubt if your memory goes back as far as the end of the 19th century.

If you imagine that different spellings before then had any significance at all, then you will succeed only in making your research more difficult.

I acccept;  and I doubt any of us in this day and age will know the exact thoughts of anyone, especially of earlier  generations who lived prior to our arrival on earth.

Aberdeen: Findlay-Shirras,McCarthy: MidLothian: Mason,Telford,Darling,Cruikshanks,Bennett,Sime, Bell: Lanarks:Crum, Brown, MacKenzie,Cameron, Glen, Millar; Ross: Urray:Mackenzie:  Moray: Findlay; Marshall/Marischell: Perthshire: Brown Ferguson: Wales: McCarthy, Thomas: England: Almond, Askin, Dodson, Well(es). Harrison, Maw, McCarthy, Munford, Pye, Shearing, Smith, Smythe, Speight, Strike, Wallis/Wallace, Ward, Wells;Germany: Flamme,Ehlers, Bielstein, Germer, Mohlm, Reupke