Author Topic: My Taylor line was from Antrim County Ireland  (Read 1797 times)

Offline tennfan

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
My Taylor line was from Antrim County Ireland
« on: Wednesday 15 April 20 22:41 BST (UK) »
My 6th great grandfather, Isaac Taylor (1710-1781) was born there. He settled in Rockbridge County, VA in 1746. I also had an ancestor, Andrew Taylor, Sr. (5th great grandfather 1731-1787) born there too. He died in Washington County TN. He was married twice-Elizabeth Wilson and then Ann Wilson.

Has anyone else found that their Taylor line originated from this part of Ireland or another county?

Offline HughC

• RootsChat Veteran
  • et patribus et posteritati
    • View Profile
Re: My Taylor line was from Antrim County Ireland
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 16 April 20 13:19 BST (UK) »
No such thing as "Antrim County" !

All counties in Ireland have the word County before the name.
Historical exceptions were King's County (Co. Offaly) and Queen's County (Co. Laoighis or Laois).

The only English county with County in its name is Co. Durham.
Bagwell of Kilmore & Lisronagh, Co. Tipperary;  Beatty from Enniskillen;  Brown from Preston, Lancs.;  Burke of Ballydugan, Co. Galway;  Casement in the IoM and Co. Antrim;  Davison of Knockboy, Broughshane;  Frobisher;  Guillemard;  Harrison in Co. Antrim and Dublin;  Jones around Burton Pedwardine, Lincs.;  Lindesay of Loughry;  Newcomen of Camlagh, Co. Roscommon;  Shield;  Watson from Kidderminster;  Wilkinson from Leeds

Offline tennfan

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 16 April 20 17:55 BST (UK) »
sorry ::)

Offline tennfan

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 24 April 20 22:10 BST (UK) »
Has anyone done any research on the Taylor line in County Antrim besides me?
One of my ancestors is Andrew Taylor born in 1731 or 1733 before arriving in East Tennessee.

Offline LindeL

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 31 May 20 15:48 BST (UK) »
I have a copy of the book First Families of Tennessee, which lists a number of Taylors who settled in what is now east Tennessee. It includes two Andrew Taylors, Sr and Jun and lists present day descendants. No indication of their origin but could well be county Antrim. Have you done DNA?
I have Taylor ancestors in county Antrim, but my information doesn't go back much into the 18th century; earliest definite date is 1812 but I have names of a couple of generations before that

Offline tennfan

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 31 May 20 19:04 BST (UK) »
I did my DNA in May 2019 but mainly Dykes and Harr: Y DNA. My main connections are Harr, Hart, Williams, Dykes, Taylor, Townsend.  The Taylor line married into the Hart family and the Cary's. I'm on ancestry.

Offline BallyaltikilliganG

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 08 June 20 09:21 BST (UK) »
Welcome tennfan
another member Wee Hugh has tripped you up on the specific use of the word County without a welcome or offer to help further on your query.  I and I hope others welcome your query and will try to start off some form of reply.  The original American source doesn’t use the word County, the location is given thus “Antrim Armaugh Ireland”. So
you are lucky to have two locations in Ireland specified.

I first found several Taylor family trees that quote Isaac was born 1710/8 Oct 1710 in Ireland but differ with one group saying he was born in Co Armagh, the other Co Antrim unless there were two Isaacs born same or close  date. it also raises who started first use of the specific 8 Oct 1710 ?  So Apart from https://www.wikitree.com/genealogy/taylor et al. Two other sources stand out (1.) https://www.geni.com/people/Cpt-Isaac-Taylor-Sr/6000000000969837456 the gist is  Isaac Taylor  1710 father ,is now a Nathaniel Taylor m Janet Paul in Antrim Armaugh Ireland.  I double checked there is no Antrim townland or Antrim civil parish in Co Armagh or Armagh anything in Co Antrim , such errors happened 300 years ago. However on (2) http://wikikin.com/tng/getperson.php?personID=I37788&tree=wikikin   
William Taylor  Born Abt 1680 Antrim, Died 1740 Augusta, Virginia, USA
Person ID I37952 his wife Janet Paul,   b. Abt 1683, Antrim, Ireland d. 1732, Augusta, Virginia, USA  son . Isaac Taylor,   b. 8 Oct 1710, Antrim, Antrim, Northern d. 6 Feb 1781, Montgomery, Virginia, USA Family ID   F16639

Would you agree they emmigrated before 1747 this fact would mean this Taylor branch had been in America for 15 years and in VA, where other trees say he arrived in Virginia in 1761.  You are the only source that gives Rockbridge County, VA in 1746. The same question arises over Andrew Taylor arriving in East Tennessee as an adult perhaps but his teenage years in VA with parents ?
from Ireland surely not

Staying on Isaac Taylor:-  all the sources I found say b 1710 m Isabella Wilson around 1720 in Ireland ie Isaac aged 10 years old ,surely a mistake. A birth around 1826-31 expected for Andrew’s birth in Ireland.. a list is given in wikitree give the children as George, William, Elizabeth Lettice, Isaac, John, Andrew, Isaac, William, George  could this list be undated and not in seniority? Isaac jr b 1830 i found and lost my source

records are limited for this period
Isaac Taylor is not listed in GenesReunited
Isaac Taylor could not be found quickly in https://www.genealogy.com/search/result?type=forumposts&keyword=%22Taylor%20Family%20Genealogy%22  > If  you have the patience it could be worth exploring.
sets apart that suggest
Isaac Taylor of the correct timescale is not listed in https://www.ancestyireland.com
however this join or buy credits website may yet have clues
 Births start with  1663 in https://www.ancestyireland.com
the 1st three entries read
Edward   Taylor   1662   father Edward   Antrim   
William   Taylor   1662   father Oliver      Antrim   
Thomas   Taylor   1662   father John      Antrim   
Marriages start with 1690 for males.  1667 for females keep the question did a Graham aunt go with them when they emigrated because it might help trace back to this source
Taylor   William   1690      Antrim   
Taylor   John                 1690      Antrim
looking up the same source for the name Paul showed
births before 1811 include only
ELIZABETH   PAUL   1806   HENRY   Antrim   
ANNE   PAUL   1808   MATTHEW   Antrim   
marriages before 1811
Pauly   Hanna   1719      Antrim

please check this source if you don’t know it http://www.dippam.ac.uk/ied/records/48791

the Taylor family records are many times  the size of Paul families
trying to locate where the Paul’s lived in Co’s Antrim & Armagh I looked up the tithe Applotment books and have listed by civil parish where they lived in
Co Antrim:-  Ahoghill. Antrim, Carrickfergus, Dunaghy, Portglenone
Co Armagh:- Drumcree, Killevy, Killyman, Loughgilly, Shankill         
if one did the same for the Taylor and found matching civil parishes, it could be a clue from whereabouts they came.

Co Antrim is a proven source for many presbyterian emmigrants ie the Scotch Irish and Ulster Scot in the early part of the 18th  century particularly from the Bann valley.
Over to others and hopefully some irish Taylors

so that’s my starter
Good luck onwards

Gracey Gracie Gracy Grassy Greacy
worldwide

Offline tennfan

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 08 June 20 15:11 BST (UK) »
Interesting. I only know of 2 Isaac's. Isaac III (1753-`815), my 4th GGF and Isaac Nathaniel Taylor (1710-1781) my 6th GGF. There is an Isaac Taylor, Jr. born in 1734 and died in VA in 1801. There are some concerns over Capt Thomas Taylor.  One was born in 1574 and the other in 1607. The first one is my 10th GGF. The other one apparently is the father of Anne Taylor, born 1621, who married Miles Cary. I'd have to find out what relation that Thomas is. I've done lots of research on the Taylor line. The first bit of info I located was the "Taylor-Hendrix connection" which gives me lots of info on the connections in my home county-Carter County-in east TN. I also have two great uncles, Bob and Alf Taylor (brothers) who were Senator's and Governor's of TN.
I have 2 Andrew's. Andrew III (1787-1859) is my 3rd GGF and Andrew Sr (1731-1787) is my 5th GGF. There were several William Taylor's along the way. That seems to be a very common name just like John. I have several John's in another family line. My great, great grandfather is Caswell M. Taylor (1828-1859). His daughter, Julia Alice Taylor Hart (1850-1930) is my great grandmother.

Offline BallyaltikilliganG

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 09 June 20 10:22 BST (UK) »
thank you for the PM, I tried sending you the text below but your mail address was rejected
I have no connection to any Taylor family, I just reply to other people queries
You mention the Harr last name use in Ireland. An enumerator might well have transcribed it as ... eg Hare
anyway I had a brief look around
 1901 census see http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1901/Armagh/Armagh_Town/Mall/1009906/

4 in Mall (Armagh Town, Armagh)
Harr     Isabella  56        Female Head of Family Church of Ireland        Armagh City   No Occupation Read and write  - Not Married -
Harr     Robert 54        Male    Brother  Church of Ireland        Armagh City   No Occupation Read and write  - Not Married    -
Harr     Margaret         34        Female Sister   Church of Ireland        Armagh City   No Occupation Read and write  - Not Married    -
Tighe   William  28        Male    Boarder Methodist       Dublin City     Cashier  Read and write  - Not Married    -

90 in Great Victoria Street (Windsor Ward, Antrim) [Belfast]
O' Harr  Ellen    29        Female Servant  R Catholic       Lisburn  General Domestic Servant      Can read          English  Not Married
in service with Surgeon AA Philip

9 in Crean (Monagay, Limerick)
Harr     Margaret         70        Female Head of Family Roman Catholic          Co Limerick    Farmer Cannot read     Irish and English         Widow  -
Harr     Patrick 31        Male    Son      Roman Catholic          Co Limerick    Farmers Son    Read and write  - Not Married    -
I didn’t check 1911 census

Street directories no Harr found at found at lennonwylie or PRONI that’s strange
Griffiths valuation None found

The Tithe Applotment Books 1823-1837 tithes for the 6 counties see Ireland Genealogy Hub
None found .possible spellings found Hara, Hare, Harra .  Ask me if you want my index list
The Tithe Applotment Books 1823-1837 tithes for the 26 counties ie Republic of Ireland just tried one spelling see http://titheapplotmentbooks.nationalarchives.ie/search/tab/home.jsp
Harr    Steph  Cloughprior   Cloghprior      Tipperary       1825
Harr    John And Partn         Goagalane      Finnoe  Tipperary       1826
Harr    John    Butterstown   Lislee  Cork    1833

1796 flax growers of Ireland None found

The Ulster Historical Foundation www.ancestryireland,com
Births in the first 500 entries

Harr entries are muddled with numerous other names starting with Harr
Births
ELIZABETH    HARR  1846   father ISAIAH  Antrim
JAMES HARR  1846   father ISAIAH  Antrim
Marriages  in the first 500 entries only
No  Harr  found. The entries cover all names starting with Harr so difficult to search
Death/Burials in the first 500 entries only
No  Harr  found. The entries cover all names starting with Harr so difficult to sea

tried PRONI Public Record Office for Northern Ireland
tried PRONI Wills Harr none
ecatalogue (2) 1 a red herring, the other
PRONI Reference :    D1514/1/2/9
Title :  Letter from Harr. Balfour, Sandfield to ...Dates : 29 January 1788
Description :  Letter from Harr. Balfour, Sandfield to Lord [Bristol] concerning plans for the construction on a road through Magilligan and the difficulty in contracting Mr McCool, a surveyor. 'We have lost an excellent opportunity of having the road surveyed during the frost, and we cannot afford to lose any more time ...'. He suggests that a local surveyor, John Bailey, should do the job.
PRONI freeholders  Harr none
PRONI Names  Harr none
PRONI Ulster Covenant 1912 this was a major movement which later formed Northern Ireland
Harr    James  Normanville   Armagh: Mid. Armagh          Armagh          Not Recorded Signature Folder
Harr    Mary   82 Beechfield Street Belfast: East   Pottinger        Westbourne Presbyterian Church  Kimmett, F : Miss       Signature Folder

I see you are a contributor on wikitree for Harr

I subscribe to only one website Genes Reunited https://www.GenesReunited.co.uk/search/results?sourcecategory=censusutf002c%20land%20utf0026%20surveys&lastname=harr&keyword=ireland
which has 18 references for Harr b in Ireland

I don’t think I can help further on the Taylor line

good luck onwards
Gracey Gracie Gracy Grassy Greacy
worldwide