Author Topic: McAsey/McAssey  (Read 3387 times)

Offline terryt

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: McAsey/McAssey
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 19 April 20 02:24 BST (UK) »
Hello Noland01, Thomas and Anne Conway and family immigrated in 1910. John and Bridget and Family also immigrated but not altogether. The family were supposed to depart on the ship The Dorset but only Nora and Thomas arrived. There must have been some incident that delayed the others. John Bridget and the other family members arrived in 1912. Ellen Conway daughter of John and Bridget died in 1906 in Balleyellen. Sadly the girls passed away early Norah 1921, Margaret 1922, Maria 1923 followed by Thomas in 1929 and William 1937. Christopher lived to 70 years of age.
I am not convinced that the record I have for the Birth/Baptism in 1830 for Ellen is the correct one. A marriage for Ellen and Thomas would give her father’s name. Have had a quick look this morning but have had no success. Also scrolled through the births again. I have been very surprised in my family research of people putting incorrect information not checking their facts properly and then posting it and then other people copying it.
I have very much appreciated your help. It is good to have an extra pair of eyes and someone who has a knowledge of the areas which the search centres around.
Kind Regards
Carol Thomson
Thomson (Scot)
Porter (Scot)
Sutherland (Scot)
Weir (Scot)
Bowdler (England)
Bradley(England)
O'Callaghan (Ireland)

Offline noland01

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 19 April 20 12:45 BST (UK) »
See a few trees on Ancestry that contain the family in question.Assume one is yours looking at names etc.
I live in Bagenalstown Parish,about 5/6 miles from Ballyellen so all that area is familiar to me.

A marriage for Thomas and Ellen would most likely have been in Bagenalstown ,Paulstown/Goresbridge or Borris Parish but that's not a given depending on where Ellen originated from.
Conway and McAsey are not very common names in that area but not non existent either.Its hard to imagine either might have travelled far for work/marriage at that time(mid 19th century).
Will have another trawl over the weekend but Ancestry,FindMyPast etc have nothing so far.

Its a long shot but looking at the family names one might guess that Thomas Conway father was Thomas also and Ellen's perhaps John going by naming patterns but that's a shot in the dark as those are amongst the most common given names of the time
McDonnell McDonald Gorman Cronley Colman Deegan Dunne Maher Dempsey Conlon Griffin Bergin Lalor Keys Bonham Brennan Hart(Laois) Nolan Byrne O Byrne Brady Mullen Hanaway Brennan Keeffe Reddy (Carlow)
O'Neill Doyle Donnelly Devlin  (Tyrone) Connor, Burbidge,McNally (Dublin)Hannon McCarthy (Tipperary)Healy Miley Treacy (Wicklow)Kelly (Kildare)

Offline terryt

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 20 April 20 04:19 BST (UK) »
Thomas and Anne Conway named their house in Brisbane, Goresbridge. I agree it is likely that Thomas’s father was probably a Thomas too and Ellen’s a John. The families seemed to pass on the same Christian names down through the generations. I did not come across any Conways in my searches of the records although I did see Carrolls,  Barrons, Keoghs and Brophys who are also
part of my family tree.

Kind Regards
Carol Thomson
Thomson (Scot)
Porter (Scot)
Sutherland (Scot)
Weir (Scot)
Bowdler (England)
Bradley(England)
O'Callaghan (Ireland)

Offline terryt

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 23 April 20 07:29 BST (UK) »
Hello Noland01, I have found a Baptism for a Bridget Conway on the 22nd March 1857 daughter of Thomas Conway and Ellen McAsey in Balleyellen. Went back and had a look on John Conway’s Baptismal record in 1864 and one of the sponsors was a Maria McAsey. I wonder if she was a sister of Ellen’s.

Kind Regards
Carol Thomson
Thomson (Scot)
Porter (Scot)
Sutherland (Scot)
Weir (Scot)
Bowdler (England)
Bradley(England)
O'Callaghan (Ireland)

Offline noland01

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 23 April 20 08:50 BST (UK) »

Also baptism on 11th February 1855 of what looks like another child of Thomas Conway and Ellen McAsey.
It reads;
 11th February 1855 Bridget ? daughter of Thomas ? and Ellen McAsey(?) sponsors John Byrne and Mary Walsh.Address looks either Ballyellen or Ballinkillen
McDonnell McDonald Gorman Cronley Colman Deegan Dunne Maher Dempsey Conlon Griffin Bergin Lalor Keys Bonham Brennan Hart(Laois) Nolan Byrne O Byrne Brady Mullen Hanaway Brennan Keeffe Reddy (Carlow)
O'Neill Doyle Donnelly Devlin  (Tyrone) Connor, Burbidge,McNally (Dublin)Hannon McCarthy (Tipperary)Healy Miley Treacy (Wicklow)Kelly (Kildare)

Offline noland01

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 23 April 20 09:00 BST (UK) »
Found what looks likely to be their marriage in Dunleckney Register.

Its 4th May 1852 and reads;

Ballyellen,Thomas Conway to Eleanor MacAsey.Witnesses James and Cath ???????

Link;
https://registers.nli.ie/registers/vtls000634458#page/54/mode/1up

Married in 1852 would rule out that baptism in 1837.Imagine Ellen's birth date you have ie 1830/1831 sounds about right.

Offline terryt

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 23 April 20 09:17 BST (UK) »
Oh! So it looks like there were 2 Bridgets. I wonder if there were anymore children born between Bridget and Thomas.
Thomson (Scot)
Porter (Scot)
Sutherland (Scot)
Weir (Scot)
Bowdler (England)
Bradley(England)
O'Callaghan (Ireland)

Offline noland01

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 23 April 20 11:21 BST (UK) »
Not a betting man but if I had to guess I would take a chance that Ellen's mother was Brigid.

If Brigid was their first daughter and they reused the name (assuming the first Brigid died young) then it may have been of significance to her/them.Common practice,but not in many cases,was to name the first daughter after the maternal grandmother but a name like Brigid was/is a very common one so perhaps that's a shot in the dark.

Offline terryt

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Friday 24 April 20 02:39 BST (UK) »
Don’t know how I managed to miss your post for the marriage date for Thomas and Ellen. Think I was focused on the Bridgets. Really pleased to finally have Thomas and Ellen’s date of marriage. The pieces of the puzzle are slowly starting to fall into place. Thanks again for all your help.
Thomson (Scot)
Porter (Scot)
Sutherland (Scot)
Weir (Scot)
Bowdler (England)
Bradley(England)
O'Callaghan (Ireland)