Author Topic: Ballinabrackey, Castlejordan, Baltinoran, Rockfield. HUGHES  (Read 1925 times)

Offline seaflowers

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Ballinabrackey, Castlejordan, Baltinoran, Rockfield. HUGHES
« on: Saturday 18 April 20 04:52 BST (UK) »
Hi,
I've recently started looking into my 3x great grandfather's early life before he emigrated here to New Zealand, and have come up with various bits of info, some from online research I've done myself and some from family history research/memories by others (although in this regard I always like to check facts...which is hard to do with limited records available).

John Hughes, born about 1822 in County Westmeath, son of Michael Hughes, Farmer, and Catherine (surname as yet unconfirmed).  I can't confirm John's birth as I don't think there are records available for that date?? (But his death here in NZ points to 1822 being correct). I have found baptism records for three of his brothers - James 1827; Edward 1830; Mathew 1832; all baptised at Ballinabrackey, Co. Westmeath. Mother's name Catherine but no surname entered. 

According to family info John was supposedly the third child, and there are others besides him and the three brothers named above, but how do I find out more info? Many of the brothers (and possibly sisters) immigrated to the US, including the eldest William who became a catholic priest. William's headstone inscription (East Bloomfield, Ontario, New York) states that he was born 12th Feb 1814 in Baltinoran, County Meath.

Family letters and info refer to home in later years being a place called Rockfield; and John's father Michael was reputed to have been born in Rockfield, Westmeath. I can't find a Rockfield - is this place something to do with Killucan or Mullingar? Griffiths Valuation puts a Michael Hughes at Cushinstown, Killucan in 1854 (according to family sources Michael reputedly died 10 Feb 1865 in Rockfield - this corresponds with a record of a Michael Hughes death 1865 at Mullingar, born 1800...but how to confirm this is the right Michael Hughes?).

Anyway, there is a lot of confusing and missing information about this branch of my family, so any help or guidance anyone could give me would be much appreciated thank you.
Bermuda/West Indies - Jobberns
Berwick, Scotland - Reid, Weatheret, Wilson (Coldstream, Chirnside)
Cornwall - Burlace, Borlase, Borlase-Pote, Champion, Ching, Pollard, Pote, Tripconey
Devon - Bryant
Halifax, N.S. Canada - Brewer
Kent - Griggs, Potter
London/M'sex - Aston, Burt, Clark, D'Almaine, Griffin
Northumb - Purdy, Reay
Somerset - Thatcher
Staffs - Jobberns
Surrey - Aston, Wilks
Sussex - Bassett, Wallis, Wickham
Warwick (Aston, B'ham) - Rufford, Stokes
Westmeath/Meath, Ireland - Hughes

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Ballinabrackey, Castlejordan, Baltinoran, Rockfield. HUGHES
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 18 April 20 07:17 BST (UK) »
Rockfield
https://www.townlands.ie/westmeath/moygoish/rathaspick/glenlough/crumlin-or-rockfield/
Images of death Certs for 1865 are not online yet but will be this year hopefully.
Rockfield is in Rathspick and Russagh RC parish
https://registers.nli.ie/parishes/0176

Ballinabrackey RC parish straddles the Meath and Offaly border
https://registers.nli.ie/parishes/0905

The priest in yet another place.

How can you be sure the records you are finding are for one family when they are stretched out across the country?
If their father Michael was a farmer, farms don't move.

Offline seaflowers

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 18 April 20 08:52 BST (UK) »
Thank you for replying, and for the links :)

Two letters link these places to my ancestor - one from his brother Michael who had returned home to Rockfield, near Mullingar, after being wounded in active service abroad, dated 1856.  The other letter was written by his brother Rev. William Hughes from East Bloomfield, Ontario Co., N.Y. sometime after 1870 (the priest whose headstone records his birth as 1814 in Baltinoran, which is basically at Ballinabrackey??).

John's marriage cert in England in 1846 records his father's occupation as farmer.
Cornwall - Burlace, Borlase, Borlase-Pote, Champion, Ching, Pollard, Pote, Tripconey
Devon - Bryant
Kent - Griggs, Potter
Northumb - Purdy, Reay
Somerset - Thatcher
Staffs - Jobberns
Surrey - Aston, Wilks

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 18 April 20 10:33 BST (UK) »
Baltinoran is a townland in the parish of Castlejordan/Ballinabrackey
https://www.townlands.ie/meath/upper-moyfenrath/castlejordan/castlejordan/baltinoran/
Ballinabrackey is a village in thetownland of Toornafolla
https://www.townlands.ie/meath/upper-moyfenrath/castlejordan/castlejordan/toornafolla/
both in Castlejordan RC Parish County Meath.

Rockfield is in County Westmeath so that may be where Michael settled, or the family had some earlier connection to it.

I know I'm not adding anything to your search but it's easier to find things if you have a good idea of where the family are likely to be at any given time.

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 18 April 20 10:42 BST (UK) »
Rather than searching for a Michael Hughes in Griffith's Valuation it is better to search the townland you know the family lived in.
G V is not a census it is a land/property valuation so records the person who owns or rents land, Michael may not be the person named on the lease, it could be his father, his mother if widowed, or his widow if he had died by the time of the Valuation or his in laws if he married into a farm.
There are several Hughes named in Baltinoran in GV.
I don't see any in Rockfield.

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 18 April 20 10:48 BST (UK) »
When did Rev William Hughes die?
The local papers in Meath might have something about him.

Offline seaflowers

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 19 April 20 04:39 BST (UK) »
Thanks, yes have looked at newspapers but haven't found anything as yet.

Will look at the townlands info as suggested....all ideas are helpful thanks!
Devon - Bryant
Kent - Griggs, Potter
Northumb - Purdy, Reay
Somerset - Thatcher
Staffs - Jobberns
Surrey - Aston, Wilks

Offline Haveetas

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 31 March 23 16:34 BST (UK) »
Hello, I purchased the rectory that would've been lived in by William Hughes in Bloomfield NY. He is buried in the cemetery next door. Wondering if you were able to find any photos of the family?

Offline Kiltaglassan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Seven Sisters mountain range in Co Donegal
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 01 April 23 08:04 BST (UK) »

Welcome to RootsChat, Haveetas  :)

If you make at least one more post (just say Hi etc), you can use the Personal Message (PM) system to try to contact seaflowers (the OP) who was last online here in November 2021.

Best of luck  ;D

Researching: Cuthbertson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Australia; Hunter – Co. Derry; Jackson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Canada; Scott – Co. Derry; Neilly – Co. Antrim & USA; McCurdy – Co. Antrim; Nixon – Co. Cavan, Co. Donegal, Canada & USA; Ryan & Noble – Co. Sligo