Author Topic: Passenger List Handwriting  (Read 905 times)

Offline tinkerbell5

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Passenger List Handwriting
« on: Saturday 18 April 20 21:22 BST (UK) »
Hello,

Please would someone be able to help me decipher the handwriting on this passenger list from 1911?

I can read the name Thomas Roberts, age of 27, martial status as single and destination of Brockville (Ontario). I can also make out “7 years army” which correlates with the information I have. However, I’ve unsure of the words listed under previous and intended occupation.

Thank you for any help. :)

Offline Crumblie

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Passenger List Handwriting
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 18 April 20 21:39 BST (UK) »
He intends to farm but what his previous occupation was I haven't got a clue except it looks a bit like stores.

Offline Milliepede

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 18 April 20 22:20 BST (UK) »
Yes I agree with farmer, the other word is more difficult.
Hinchliffe - Huddersfield Wiltshire
Burroughs - Arlingham Glos
Pick - Frocester Glos

Offline tinkerbell5

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 19 April 20 00:48 BST (UK) »
Thank you. :D

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 19 April 20 00:53 BST (UK) »
Sometimes, when I have been transcribing Passenger Lists into Australia, on the last page is a series of summaries about the passengers.  Occasionally it gives Previous Occupations by headings.  Perhaps the last page of that passenger list for our OP's passenger may have a summary of previous occupations....  ;D 

I think it reads : Stores

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline shanreagh

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 19 April 20 01:20 BST (UK) »
If you know the dates of his 7 years of army service and what he did there, then Stores may be a good thought.  (Wrong branch of the military but think 'Quartermaster's store') If he had just finished his Army service then he may have just left working in a stores related occupation in the Army.  Sometimes ex army people were found working as civilians in the Store after they had left the Army.  You can check Army records to see what his occupation was prior to joining, it may say farmer and give you confidence that he was returning to an occupation he had previously.

The suggestion that MAJM has is good too. There often is a collected list of occupations on these lists.

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 19 April 20 01:28 BST (UK) »
Although there are often variations, especially in cases like this where writing has obviously been rushed, but the first letter of the mystery word is not the same as either of the other letter Ss in the snip provided.

You often see the same occupations over and over, so maybe looking at some other passengers might find someone with the same occupation written more clearly.  :-\

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 19 April 20 01:47 BST (UK) »
Yes,  agree,  just look at each of the "S" in 'Same' in the  entries in the same column as farmer  ;D (add, e.g. there's  three variations above farmer, )

Q-Stores provided inhouse staff training in Purchasing, Warehousing, Statistical collection, Admin, Health and Safety, Record keeping, Stock Control, Rostering, Receiving and Despatching,  Stores often were Bean Counters !.... perhaps once upon a time, not so very long ago, say in the 1950s, 'Stores'  as the one word response to a question about occupation suggested a salaried management position in Australia.  I am not sure though about what the occupation involved in 1911.

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 19 April 20 01:56 BST (UK) »
It is an S .. look for the column with M or S and notice that there is an S for this particular passenger,   :) S for single, m for married .... his S for single and the S for initial letter of previous occupation gives me more confidence the word is Stores

JM