Author Topic: Pencil Drawing - 1903  (Read 1287 times)

Offline Braban

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Pencil Drawing - 1903
« on: Sunday 19 April 20 18:19 BST (UK) »
I appreciate that this isn't a photo, rather it is a pencil drawing of a lady. It is with a letter dated August 1903. I am curious to know if the clothing is typical of the time? I would appreciate your thoughts. Could the signature read Charlton? Thank you x

Devon: Chugg, Lerwill, Richards
Durham: Caswell, Charlton, Gustard
Hampshire: Dowdell, Hagg, Ludlow, Joliffe
Northumberland: Dagg, Turnbull
Somerset: Amesbury, Sage

Online japeflakes

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Pencil Drawing - 1903
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 19 April 20 19:06 BST (UK) »
Not sure about "Charlton"

Offline Old Bristolian

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Stephen Bumstead 1844-1903
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 19 April 20 19:47 BST (UK) »
I would say it is a drawing of a lady of the 1840s - perhaps a copy of a painting. It does look to me like some of the images of the Bronte sisters,

Steve
Bumstead - London, Suffolk
Plant, Woolnough, Wase, Suffolk
Flexney, Godfrey, Burson, Hobby -  Oxfordshire
Street, Mitchell - Gloucestershire
Horwood, Heale Drew - Bristol
Gibbs, Gait, Noyes, Peters, Padfield, Board, York, Rogers, Horler, Heale, Emery, Clavey, Mogg, - Somerset
Fook, Snell - Devon
M(a)cDonald, Yuell, Gollan, McKenzie - Rosshire
McLennan, Mackintosh - Inverness
Williams, Jones - Angelsey & Caernarvon
Campbell, McMartin, McLellan, McKercher, Perthshire

Offline IgorStrav

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Arthur Pay 1915-2002 "handsome bu**er"
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 19 April 20 20:01 BST (UK) »
A hairstyle like this, which is dated 1830
Pay, Kent. 
Barham, Kent. 
Cork(e), Kent. 
Cooley, Kent.
Barwell, Rutland/Northants/Greenwich.
Cotterill, Derbys.
Van Steenhoven/Steenhoven/Hoven, Nord Brabant/Belgium/East London.
Kesneer Belgium/East London
Burton, East London.
Barlow, East London
Wayling, East London
Wade, Greenwich/Brightlingsea, Essex.
Thorpe, Brightlingsea, Essex

Offline Ian Nelson

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 20 April 20 01:46 BST (UK) »
This is only guessing, but I see a Stylistic Script of ' Clyde '
Does that make any sense ?
Norfolk, Nelsons of Gt Ryburgh, Gooch, Howman, COLLISONS,  Ainger, Couzens, Batrick (Norfolk & Dorset), Tubby ( also of Yorkshire) Cathcarts of Ireland, Lancashire & Isle of Wight) Dickinsons of Morecambe and Lancaster, Wilson of Poulton-le-Sands and Broughton.  Wilson - Ffrance of Rawcliffe,  Mitchells of Isle of Wight. Hair of Ayrshire, Williamson of Tradeston, Glasgow. Nelsons in Australia with Haywards Heath connections.

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 20 April 20 07:07 BST (UK) »
I might be imagining it, but is that a ^ above the last letter e? signature possibly ending in cle or de?

It’s a nice drawing, but there is something a bit odd about it but once again I might be imagining this:
The face looks like it was drawn by a competent artist, however the ear and the hair look more amateurish, and slightly odd. Similarly, the neck and some of the clothing looks amateurish. It looks like the work of two people to me.  :)

As it is signed it makes me wonder if the good artist or the not so good artist signed it.  ;)

Offline Ian Nelson

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 20 April 20 10:58 BST (UK) »
When I Saturate the Colour to Maximum you can see clearly the drawing and Signature are in Blue Ink.  The mark above the e is not blue.  It is possibly a rubber stamp because the oval  shape is too perfect for a quick or even a careful signature - see the separation.  I took out the noise by selecting pixels which may have been smudges or after marks and were not so blue - the result still looks like 'Clyde' . The face has been drawn full side on view yet the body is at an angle and does not seem to have been drawn with the same care, as if someone has carefully copied the face part from the frontispiece of a book and decided to add their own idea of an upper body and got it wrong. Cheers, Ian
Norfolk, Nelsons of Gt Ryburgh, Gooch, Howman, COLLISONS,  Ainger, Couzens, Batrick (Norfolk & Dorset), Tubby ( also of Yorkshire) Cathcarts of Ireland, Lancashire & Isle of Wight) Dickinsons of Morecambe and Lancaster, Wilson of Poulton-le-Sands and Broughton.  Wilson - Ffrance of Rawcliffe,  Mitchells of Isle of Wight. Hair of Ayrshire, Williamson of Tradeston, Glasgow. Nelsons in Australia with Haywards Heath connections.

Offline purlin

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 20 April 20 16:35 BST (UK) »
I agree the face is a quick working sketch by a fairly competent artist.  The lower part of the drawing is a crude attempt by another person to add a partial body.
Crosbie, Crosby, Black, Woods, Johnstone, Kelly, Howatt, McMillan, Wauchope Scott, Smith, Gibbons, Roberts, Hildred, Jones, Hughes. Curran, Palmer. Hughes, Jones, Wilcox, wilbraham, owen
Liverpool, Dumfriesshire, Kirkudbrightshire, Cheshire, Flintshire, llanrwst, trefriw, Lincolnshire, America, Canada, New Zealand.

Offline terry h

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • With Mum x
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 20 April 20 18:32 BST (UK) »
There is a second signature on the neck perhaps the first sketcher?  Thought it might be Mary H Lain? who knows  ::) :)

Terry
g grandfather Thomas Borthwick 11/11/1882 - KIA 25/9/1915 aged 33 Kings Own Scottish Borderers

Brothers & cousins to Thomas (Both KIA same day)
Robert Johnstone Borthwick 1898 - KIA 24/3/1918 aged 21 North Staffordshire Regiment

George Lowden Borthwick 1899 - KIA 24/3/1918 aged 19 Royal Scots Fusiliers

gr Uncle Walter Combe b1893 - KIA 12/7/1915 aged 22  Kings Own Scottish Borderers

Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright  GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk