Author Topic: John Goodwin  (Read 880 times)

Offline MattD30

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
John Goodwin
« on: Monday 20 April 20 01:49 BST (UK) »
Hi I am posting this as an update to a request I put on here in 2018.

I am trying to locate a marriage for John Goodwin to a woman named Ann or Anne in the Boughton under Blean area possibly in the 1630s. They had a son named Robert who was christened there on 17 November 1638 but I don't know of any other children.

There is a John Goodwin marrying an Anne Godfrey in  Faversham in 1620 but so far that is the only possible marriage I have come across.

Thanks in advance for any ideas.

Matt

Offline ..claire..

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Genealogy...Life in the Past Lane
    • View Profile
Re: John Goodwin
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 21 April 20 12:52 BST (UK) »
Hi Matt

Hope you are well.

They did marry by licence which gave a bit extra info. Both were resident in Whitstable. He was a labourer aged 25, she was ‘about’ 25 and her parents dead. She could have been a bit younger than the 40+ years when she had Robert.

There is a John Goodwin baptised is Whitstable 27 Jan. 1621 father John. Possibly the couples first child.

Can’t see another marriage though

Claire
Luce, Tippett , Thomson, Dolling ~ Devon & Cornwall
Mocquard ~ London, France
Census info is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline MattD30

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 21 April 20 22:14 BST (UK) »
Hi Matt

Hope you are well.

They did marry by licence which gave a bit extra info. Both were resident in Whitstable. He was a labourer aged 25, she was ‘about’ 25 and her parents dead. She could have been a bit younger than the 40+ years when she had Robert.

There is a John Goodwin baptised is Whitstable 27 Jan. 1621 father John. Possibly the couples first child.

Can’t see another marriage though

Claire

Hi Claire

Thanks for the info. The marriage licence states that the allegation was made by Morgaine "Goodwyn" of Whitstable and I wonder if he is relative, possibly a brother.

Given that both John and Anne were born about 1595 it would seem strange for them only to have one child born in 1639 - 19 years after they were married. The John you found could well be another son, so I wonder if there were more children born in between 1621 and 1639.

Robert Goodwin married by licence in 1665 and the bondsman on his licence was one Ezekiel Goodwin. There is an Ezekiel Goodwin christened in Boughton under Blean in 1636 son of Alexander, this Ezekiel might well be Robert's cousin which could mean Alexander and John might be brothers.

As I haven't found any other candidates for my John and Anne I'll see if I can find anything about them or any other Goodwins in the Whitstable area to see if I can add to this.

Thanks again
Matt

Offline ..claire..

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 22 April 20 00:21 BST (UK) »
Hi Matt

Whilst having a quick look through the Whitstable registers I spotted an Alexander Goodwin baptising children there too. Alexander married an Elizabeth Whiter in Whitstable 1619 - first son an Alexander baptised in Seasalter (2miles from Whitstable) in 1620 along with a sister Mary.

Other children:

Mildred 1627 Whitstable
Richard 1629        "
Oliver 1633          "

I think possibly (unless there are two Alexanders) that Alexanders wife Elizabeth must have died as there is a marriage of an Alexander G to an Anne Browne in Littlebourne - it iis an Anne that is listed as the mother of an Alice bapt in Boughton under Blean 1636 along with Alexander.

A burial in 1637 in Whitstable for Alexander Goodwyn.

Morga(i)n Goodwin possibly married FOUR times - all by licence - 1604 to Margarat Chatbourne widow both of Faversham:   1611 married Margary Gibbons widow, he of Faversham she of Whitstable. 1613 married Mary Knowler a widow, he of Whitstable, she was of Herne. And finally in 1620 aged 45 a widower and a yeoman of Whitstable married Mary Strong.

I had wondered if Morgan was John and Alexander's father, but I'm not sure he would have had to be married again looking at those dates.

Just as an aside - have you seen the actual baptism of Robert Goodwin son of John ? It says that Robert wasn't born in Boughton under Blean but in the woods near the parish :)

Claire

Offline MattD30

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 23 April 20 01:28 BST (UK) »
Hi Claire

I've done some more digging on the Goodwins today although I've not been able to get the line back any further or find a link between Alexander and John, I have found some interesting bits about Morgaine/Morgan.

A search on the National Archives website reveals that he appears several times in the Ecclestastical cause papers held at the Kent History and Library Centre.

There is a case in January 1620 in which "Morgan Goodwyn" and his wife "Mary Strong" are listed as defendants in a case against a number of other people.

Then there is a case in March 1620 in which "Morgan Goodwyn of Whitstable" is also down as a defendant.

Interestingly there is also a case involving one of his wives we have discussed but in this she is described as his "pretend wife", I'm curious to know what that mean!.

I believe I know the background identity to one of his wives though, Mary Knowler [widow]. It appears that she was born Mary Hole and married Richard Knowler in Herne on 4 August 1606. Richard died the next year and was buried at Herne on 10 November 1607 which would have left Mary to marry again. I don't know when she was born but I am estimating it was the 1570s or 1580s.

Another thought that occurred to me today was that if Morgaine/Morgan married 4 times then perhaps his wives died in childbirth. What do you think?

Anyhow I will try to update you soon.

Best Wishes

Matt

Offline ..claire..

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 23 April 20 02:03 BST (UK) »
Hi Matt

His first wife Margaret was buried in May 1611 - the couple baptised a daughter Anne in Jan 1610 - old style calendar would mean Margaret died around three months after the birth.

Morgan then married his second wife Margery in October 1611 - not unusual for a man to marry quickly if he had a young child to bring up. With Margery he had no children, she died in October 1612.

With Mary Knowler he had three children - Anne 1615, a Daniel in 1616 and a Mary in 1618.

Daughter Mary was baptised 12 March 1618, wife Mary was buried 14 March 1618 - possibly puerperal fever, that was quite common.

That's as far as I've got.

Claire

Offline ..claire..

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 23 April 20 02:18 BST (UK) »
Hi

His first wife married William Chatbourne in 1602 at Ospringe as Margaret Woodsall - a widow  :)

Richard Woodsall married in Whitstable 1599 to Margaret Stocks - a widow  ::)

And finally

Thomas Stocks of Seasalter married in Canterbury 1596 a Margaret Bellen

Claire

Online bearkat

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 23 April 20 10:53 BST (UK) »
Google books throws up this snippet about Marjorie Goodwyne wife of Morgan Goodwin

http://www.rootschat.com/links/01pct/

Middx - VAUS, ROBERTS, EVERSFIELD, INMAN, STAR, HOLBECK, WYATT, BICKFORD, SMITH, REDWOOD
Hants - SMALL, HAMMERTON, GRIST, FRYER, TRODD, DAGWELL, PARKER, WOODFORD, CROUTEAR, BECK, BENDELL, KEEPING, HARDING, BULL
Kent - BAYLY, BORER, MITCHELL, PLANE, VERNON, FARRANCE, CHAPMAN, MEDHURST, LOMAX, WYATT, IDEN
Devon - TOPE, BICKFORD, FOSTER
YKS - QUIRK, McGUIRE, BENN
Nott/Derbs - SLACK
Herts - BARNES
L'pool- PLUMBE
 All UK census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline MattD30

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 23 April 20 22:07 BST (UK) »
Hi Claire

Thanks for those interesting bits and pieces about Morgan/Morgaine Goodwin and his wives. The big question is, is he related to me?

John was about 25 when he married Ann Godfrey in 1620 making him born in about 1596.

Given that the Morgaine we are looking at was married 4 times I am thinking that he was possibly John's uncle or possibly his father but I can't be certain yet. The allegation on John's marriage licence was made by a "Morgaine Goodwyn of Whitstable" which is where John was living at the time.

When Morgaine married Mary Strong in 1620 he is described as being 45 years old. This would make him born in about 1575 this would certainly make him old enough to be John's father in 1595.
Alternatively he could be an uncle but so far I can't find anyway to establish this link.

If only we could find a will for him.

It's a bit of a puzzle.

Matt