Author Topic: John Goodwin  (Read 879 times)

Offline MattD30

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: John Goodwin
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 25 April 20 00:47 BST (UK) »
Hi Claire

I've found out a little more about Morgan/Morgaine Goodwin's wives.

His second wife Margery Gibbons seems to have been the widow of John Gibbons. He married Margery Wood in Whitstable in May 1611. I don't know if they had any children or if she was a widow at that point. John died in 1611 and there is a will for him.

It also looks like his third wife Mary Knowler was born Mary Hole and was possibly the daughter of William Hole of Herne. There is a will for this William dated 1605.

Margery appears to have died in 1612 in Faversham leaving a will and it looks like Morgaine died in 1624, also in Faversham and also leaving a will.

Unfortunately I am still unable to establish the connection between Morgan and John Goodwin. I am sure there is one given that Morgaine/Morgan is an unusual name and he given that he is named in the marriage licence for Robert Goodwin it seems likely he was a close relation. What we need is to find him mentioned in another Will or record.

Best Wishes
Matt

Offline ..claire..

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Genealogy...Life in the Past Lane
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 25 April 20 01:20 BST (UK) »
Hi Matt

Morgan is indeed quite a unique name for the time. I can see one possible baptism for him in Godmersham - Morgan GODDEN bap. 16 March 1572, no parents listed though unfortunately. A sister An(n) baptised as Goodin 16 Feb 1577 Godmersham - no parents there either.

There are Goddens a plenty all over the place - quite a few in Faversham in the timeframe John Goodwin married Ann Godfrey

Found an interesting abstract of a Will dated Oct. 1637 (probate) of Susan Carr of Canterbury spinster.

***To John Godden my cozen my bed and £6
To Joan Hills wife of John of Boughton (cant read it)
Cant read the name of the next lady
***To Ann Godden wife of the said John, wearing apparel
To my brother Augustine Carr ?
***All the residue after debts paid to Alexander Godden of Boughton and made him sole executor.

claire
Luce, Tippett , Thomson, Dolling ~ Devon & Cornwall
Mocquard ~ London, France
Census info is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline MattD30

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 25 April 20 02:27 BST (UK) »
Hi Matt

Morgan is indeed quite a unique name for the time. I can see one possible baptism for him in Godmersham - Morgan GODDEN bap. 16 March 1572, no parents listed though unfortunately. A sister An(n) baptised as Goodin 16 Feb 1577 Godmersham - no parents there either.

There are Goddens a plenty all over the place - quite a few in Faversham in the timeframe John Goodwin married Ann Godfrey

Found an interesting abstract of a Will dated Oct. 1637 (probate) of Susan Carr of Canterbury spinster.

***To John Godden my cozen my bed and £6
To Joan Hills wife of John of Boughton (cant read it)
Cant read the name of the next lady
***To Ann Godden wife of the said John, wearing apparel
To my brother Augustine Carr ?
***All the residue after debts paid to Alexander Godden of Boughton and made him sole executor.

claire

Hi Claire

I have been doings some more work on these myself this evening. Given that Robert Goodwin and Ann were probably married in the 1620s or 1630s I estimate both were probably born in the 1590s or early 1600s [possibly earlier in Robert's case]

That Morgan in Godmersham could well be the one who married all those women. By the way his wife "Mary Knowler" appears to have been the widow of Richard Knowler as there is a marriage for Richard and Mary in Herne in 1606. I presume that the William who died in 1605 is her father but that's not certain.

As stated before John was 25 when he married Ann Godfrey, and I assume she was about the same age. Based on this it is possible he was the son of Morgan if that one born in 1577 in Godmersham us is the same one who married multiple times. Alternatively he might be a cousin or nephew even. I am certain there's a link.

I am currently sat in bed trying to find any clues regarding Ann's background. I have had no luck with her in the past. Do you have any ideas?

Best Wishes
Matt

Btw where did you find the will extract?