Author Topic: Immigration Leah Goldstein  (Read 4644 times)

Offline steve62

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Immigration Leah Goldstein
« Reply #18 on: Sunday 24 April 22 12:06 BST (UK) »
Wow! thank you very much.  That is a new of thought.
I may be repeating myself from previous postings, but please bear with me a moment:-

1. Vilna is where Leah Leibiski (Goldstein) was born.
2. I never found a 1901 with David & Leah even though son Lazarus Goldstein was born in 1898 Whitechapel (mmn. Leibiski)
3. Daughter Gertrude(Gertie) Goldstein was born according to 1911 Liverpool in 1895 in St. Georges in the East, London.  Have not found a "Goldstein" with mmn. Leibiski 1894-1900.
So the possibility that they came to the Uk before 1898 with Gertrude born in Russia and then as you say returned and came back in 1910.   Being the case  they must have returned to Russia between 1898 and 1901 and thats why there no 1901.
Need to get hold MC 1899 of Morris Labiski to see who the witness' were.
I really appeciate this new avenue you have found - could be something or nothing, but never leave a stone unturned.

Steve
Boaler/Bowler/Boler - UK/Canada/USA/Australia
Hamer - UK
Mendle - Russia/UK
Goldstein - Russia/UK
Mazorkoff - UK/USA
Kapatofsky - Russia/Uk/USA
La Camera - Italy

Offline JustinL

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Sunday 24 April 22 16:37 BST (UK) »
That is an excellent find, Jorose. It took a bit of effort to find the same records on ancestry.

Leibiski was most probably originally Leibishski. There are several records for bearers of this surname from the Vilna (Vilnius) governorate (gubernia) in the second half of the 19th century.

Leibishski = Лейбишскiй (Leybishskiy) and לייבישסקי (in Yiddish) was derived from the Yiddish diminutive given name Leibish with the Polish suffix -skiy meaning 'of' in this context.

It would be well worth your while obtaining the so-called marriage authorisations from the UK's United Synagogue, which should provide the full Hebrew names of bride and groom as well as their places of birth. Search for the term "marriage authorisation" on RootsChat for several posts from me on the subject.

Go to this page https://www.theus.org.uk/category/find-marriage-record and enter Hyman Mendel. The second entry on the results page looks like it should be the MA for the marriage of Hyman and Gerty in 1913.

The MA for Lazarus Goldstein's marriage to Leah Mazorkoff is also in the database, which covers the period from 1880 to 1922.

I would also suggest that you email the US separately to enquire whether they have an MA for Leah Goldstein's marriage to Louis Kapatofsky in 1931.

Leah Kapitofsky was buried in Manchester's Blackley Jewish Cemetery in 1946. I would also suggest that you try to contact the burial office (admin@nmjct.org) and ask whether they can locate and photograph her gravestone. Pictures of several members of the Kapatofsky family are available on findagrave.com, e.g. Louis Kapatofsky, d. 20 Mar 1936.

Morris Leibiski's widow married Jacob Kaufman in 1938. Fanny and Jacob Kaufman were recorded in the 1939 register in Hackney with three of her unmarried sons. They had changed their surname to Morris, although the youngest son was recorded was Marcus Leibiski Morris, b. 21 Jan 1920.

A very credible family tree for Morris and Fanny on ancestry reports that Morris' father was Marks. Marks, Marcus and Max were all anglicisations of the Hebrew name Mordechai.

One final stone to turn over. The burial registers of the Rice Lane Jewish Cemetery are held at the Liverpool Record Office (archive reference 296 - RCL); they may have recorded the Hebrew names of the deceased. With help of the archive research service https://liverpool.gov.uk/libraries/archives-family-history/research-service/, you could obtain the entry for David Goldstein.

Justin

Offline steve62

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Sunday 24 April 22 17:54 BST (UK) »
Hi Justin,
With the info jorose gave me and your added info I can now search a differant avenue and am very grateful to you both.
A little info I have:-
My g.gmother  Leah Goldstein married Louis Kapatofsky.  Story has it that Louis married in the  synagogue 6 months after his wife Dora died in 1918 much to the disgust of his daughter Sarah who never spoke  to her father.  Subsequently they had a Civil Marriage in 1931 Manchester.
Leah Kapatofsy(Goldstein) - I contacted the cemetery sometime ago and they said there is no stone and no family info on their records.
My g.father Hyman Mendle married Gertie Goldstein (daughter of Leah) in 1913 in Liverpool.  The age of Gertie was "of age", but she was 18 and their first child was born in October 1913.
The son of Leah Goldstein(Kapatofsky), my uncle - Lazarus Goldstein married Leah Mazorkoff in Liverpool in 1918 and subesequently went to Detroit.  They divorced and in 1930 she married Harry Ginsburgh.  They subsequently divorced and she married Max Ross.  A USA search at the Courts for the first divorce papers costs $5.  I cannot send that on my credit card.  The second divorce papers cost a minium of $52 plus search fees'.  So left all that.
My main aim is to find when Leah Labiskie(Goldstein) and David Goldstein came to the UK.  From previous postings and my search ended in nothing.
Sorry to be long winded, but thought I'd put yo in the picture and I am thrilled about the info you gave me on the Labiskie and between you and jorose I am am on another path.

Steve
Hamer - UK
Mendle - Russia/UK
Goldstein - Russia/UK
Mazorkoff - UK/USA
La Camera - Italy

Offline JustinL

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Wednesday 27 April 22 18:31 BST (UK) »
Hello Steve,

I was waiting for the automatic notification that you had replied ... clearly the function didn't work on this occasion.

It's decidedly frustrating that neither David nor Leah had gravestones. Hopefully the Rice Lane Burial Register will throw up something useful.

If Leah and Louis had married in a synagogue in 1918, there should have been an MA and a civil marriage certificate; there would have been no need for a second registry office wedding in 1931. However, maybe they arranged for a rabbi to perform a private unauthorised marriage, so they were married in the eyes of God, but not legally.

A challenging family ...

Offline steve62

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Wednesday 27 April 22 18:50 BST (UK) »
Hi Justin,
Rice Lane have no details and same applies to Leah Kapatofsky - Goldstein. The story about the marriage in 1918 and 1931 came from a guy in Israel related by wife to Kapatofsky. It was an old relative who gave the info and plenty of scandal.  No stone for Leah by the Kapatofsky who never particular liked here . No idea why Mendle/Goldstein did not.  My late mother gave some info  her parents and Leah not long before passing away. Yes I started too late!  If I had thought a few years earlier - uncles, aunts etc. Hindsight a great thing.
I appreciate your time and some day I will finish the puzzle.
Steve
Hamer - UK
Mendle - Russia/UK
Goldstein - Russia/UK
Mazorkoff - UK/USA
La Camera - Italy

Offline JustinL

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Wednesday 27 April 22 19:13 BST (UK) »
But have you enquired at the Liverpool Record Office about the old burial register, which is no longer held by the burial office at the cemetery?

At least the MA for Hyman and Gerty will confirm her father's full given name. A little morsel of info that may prove helpful.

For what it's worth, Louis Kapatofsky's gravestone shows that his Hebrew/Yiddish name was Aryeh-Leyb son of Barukh-Shlomoh.

Justin

Offline steve62

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Wednesday 27 April 22 19:29 BST (UK) »
Never thought of the record office.
Gerty - David Goldstein dec'd boot maker.
Louis have that.
Thanks for the tip.
Steve
Hamer - UK
Mendle - Russia/UK
Goldstein - Russia/UK
Mazorkoff - UK/USA
La Camera - Italy

Offline JustinL

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Wednesday 27 April 22 20:12 BST (UK) »
The MA will give David's full Hebrew/Yiddish given name, which may now not have been David.

Offline steve62

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Monday 16 May 22 17:42 BST (UK) »
Hi Justin,
My apologies for being late in replying.  Got side tracked with something important.
I could  not find the MA, unless I did something wrong.
Regards Leah Labisky/Goldstein/Kapatofsky.  A few years ago I applied to Vilna for her BC, but they found nothing, even using a variation.
I will solve the mystery of my family one day.
I would just like to say you have been very helpful and I appreciate your time and effort.

Steve
Hamer - UK
Mendle - Russia/UK
Goldstein - Russia/UK
Mazorkoff - UK/USA
La Camera - Italy