Author Topic: William HAMER, born 1839, Sutton Coldfield, Warks.  (Read 1421 times)

Offline osprey

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: William HAMER, born 1839, Sutton Coldfield, Warks.
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 21 April 20 20:40 BST (UK) »
if you use the parish baptisms search on FindMyPast, you can put in first names of parents. I wouldn't have found it otherwise.  ;D

I've been wondering about the niece Jane from the 1871 census whose surname appears to be Hangeley. She married Robert Thomas june qtr 1875 as Hangley. It's not a surname that shows up around Aberystwyth. I wonder if she is the 7 month old Jane Jones who is a grand daughter of William Jones, butcher in the 1851 census HO107/2485 folio 277 pg 8. Possible birth reg sept qtr 1850 Aberystwyth vol 27 pg 14 mmn blank.

:-\
Cornwall: Allen, Bevan, Bosisto, Carnpezzack, Donithorn, Huddy, James, Retallack, Russell, Vincent, Yeoman
Cards: Thomas (Llanbadarn Fawr)
Glam: Bowler, Cram, Galloway, James, Thomas, Watkins
Lincs: Coupland, Cram
Mon: Cram, Gwyn, John, Philpot, Smart, Watkins
Pembs: Edwards (St. Dogmael's)
Yorks: Airey, Bowler, Elliott, Hare, Hewitt, Kellett, Kemp, Stephenson, Tebb

Offline osprey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 21 April 20 20:45 BST (UK) »
did he become a councillor in later years? Lots of mentions in the newspaper archive

https://newspapers.library.wales/view/3606435/3606437/3/

as an example

;)
Cornwall: Allen, Bevan, Bosisto, Carnpezzack, Donithorn, Huddy, James, Retallack, Russell, Vincent, Yeoman
Cards: Thomas (Llanbadarn Fawr)
Glam: Bowler, Cram, Galloway, James, Thomas, Watkins
Lincs: Coupland, Cram
Mon: Cram, Gwyn, John, Philpot, Smart, Watkins
Pembs: Edwards (St. Dogmael's)
Yorks: Airey, Bowler, Elliott, Hare, Hewitt, Kellett, Kemp, Stephenson, Tebb

Offline Pennines

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 21 April 20 20:55 BST (UK) »
BAC3 -- why did you not tell us about the Joe Cocker bio!! (I don't know why I'm complaining as I don't have Sky - but I would have loved that).

Osprey if it's the same William Hamer - he did well if he had a previous brush with the law. Nowadays the press would have a field day with that.
Places of interest;
Lancashire, West Yorkshire, Southern Ireland, Scotland.

Offline BAC3

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 21 April 20 21:00 BST (UK) »
Your answers have been simply "A Little Help from My Friends".

William HAMER married for a 3rd time in 1878 and eventually died in 1923, leaving an Estate of some £5,837.18s.5d........a princely sum indeed!!!   For most of his life he was a Pawnbroker, but towards the end he added Jeweller and Clothier to his repertoire!!

Not bad for a boy aged 16 who spent 12 months in Parkhurst Prison for receiving stolen goods.

BAC3

Offline gwyneth70

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 16 August 20 13:28 BST (UK) »
William Hamer was a witness of the marriage of George White and Elizabeth Summer in Caernarfo in 1862. George and Elizabeth were my husband's  2 x great grandparents. George was born in Warwickshire, most probably Aston and was described as a hawker. In my childhood there was a shop in Caernarfon called Hamer's.  Just seen the previous post about the shop. He did do well. Much better than George who remained a hawker and labourer and died in a lodging house in 1906.