Author Topic: Harkness in Annan  (Read 1093 times)

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
Re: Harkness in Annan
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 13 June 20 10:21 BST (UK) »
Sorry, but I am now completely confused.

I have OPR's for Betty, bpt August 5 1820 at Hawick and her MI suggests born 1761.
Baptised in a different county aged 59?

Is this the same Betty
the MI records Betty's death as 20 April 1864, age 83
and if so who is she?

Have you looked at her death certificate?

If she was 83 in 1864, that implies that she was born in 1780/1781, not 1761 (unless you are talking about two different Bettys).

Why do you think the Betty Harkness baptised in Hawick in 1820 is a daughter of your Thomas Harkness? You said that Hannah died in 1827, and Thomas in 1832, and they are both on the same stone. So Thomas cannot have been widowed and remarried. Now, if Betty was born in 1781, her parents cannot have been born much after 1765, and more likely around 1755. So by 1820 Hannah would have been at least 55 years old, therefore she cannot be the mother of the Betty Harkness born in 1820.

May I suggest that you post a full transcription of the MI, rather than just extracts from it? It would be much easier to understand it.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Lee47

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 13 June 20 11:02 BST (UK) »
Whoops, maybe it was a bit late at night. The year for Betty is 1781 going by the MI.

The MI is quite long. It says: John Harkness who died at Stidriggburn 8th June 1859 aged 77years. Mary Little his spouse who also died there 21st June 1858 aged 78years. William Harkness their son who died at Corrie-Common 27th April 1885 aged 75 years. Jemima Stevenson his wife who died there 30th April 1882 aged 66 years. 2nd side: Thomas Harkness who died at Persbyhall 18th May 1832 aged 73 years. Hannah Murray McKie his spouse who died at Heathwood-Park 3rd March 1827 aged 65 years. William Harkness their son who died at Heathwood-Park 19th June 1822 aged 26 years. Betty Harkness their daughter who died at Langshaw 20th April 1864 aged 83 years.

As for the baptism in 1820, you are right. There looks like a younger Thomas Harkness for this Betty somewhere in the mix. Maybe you can find him? A small mistake on my part I think? Keep calm and carry on.

Offline Lee47

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 13 June 20 11:29 BST (UK) »
Blimey, the Betty Harkness thing gets worse. It was late at night though and I've now discovered that it wasn't an OPR baptism but a DEATH record!

And Hawick is a long way from the action. Oh dear! Apologies to all the confused.

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 13 June 20 11:51 BST (UK) »
LOL! :)

Duly unconfused, thank you.

I take it that you have looked at all the post-1855 death certificates.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline jwharkness

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 01 July 20 11:36 BST (UK) »
Thanks to all - much help in there and am able to move forward!
JH