Author Topic: UK Customs Officer Lists and other information, John Critchley  (Read 610 times)

Offline Kereru49

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
UK Customs Officer Lists and other information, John Critchley
« on: Saturday 25 April 20 03:44 BST (UK) »
Hi, I am researching John Critchley, born about 1859 who at the time of his marriage in 1886 to Hannah Parsonage in Islington states that he is a Customs Officer. In the 1891 Scottish census he is living in Leith near Edinburgh, asa customs officer, and later moves to Tyneside. He goes missing in January and several months later he is found dead in a dock off the River Tyne.
I am interested to know when he was working for HM Customs and whether there is much information about him in the records. In particular, I am interested in finding any information about his parents, and where and when he was born.
As part fo this research does anyone know whether copies of the relevant Ham's Custom Year Book are online, and if so, where?
I am also wondering if there are any online indices to relevant Customs minute books etc that might have the required information.

Offline GrahamSimons

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: UK Customs Officer Lists and other information, John Critchley
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 25 April 20 16:37 BST (UK) »
This guide should help.
https://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/help-with-your-research/research-guides/customs-officers/
Unfortunately many of the records aren't digitised, which means a personal visit to Kew, or getting someone to go for you - and of course it's all closed at the moment because of the pandemic!

See also
http://www.sog.org.uk/news/article/sog-customs-excise-staff-service-registers-1833-1911
but you'll need membership to get to some of the details
Simons Barrett Jaffray Waugh Langdale Heugh Meade Garnsey Evans Vazie Mountcure Glascodine Parish Peard Smart Dobbie Sinclair....
in Stirlingshire, Roxburghshire; Bucks; Devon; Somerset; Northumberland; Carmarthenshire; Glamorgan

Offline Kereru49

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 25 April 20 21:54 BST (UK) »
Many thanks.

Offline Milliepede

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 25 April 20 22:10 BST (UK) »
In particular, I am interested in finding any information about his parents, and where and when he was born.

The marriage names his father as Thomas Critchley a plate glass worker.

Did John and Hannah have 3 daughters born in Scotland?

What year did he die?
Hinchliffe - Huddersfield Wiltshire
Burroughs - Arlingham Glos
Pick - Frocester Glos

Offline Milliepede

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 25 April 20 22:28 BST (UK) »
A family tree has his father Thomas 1827-1885 mother Margaret 1824-1900

John being born St Helens Lancashire but you may wish to check this information for yourself.
Pick - Frocester Glos

Offline Kereru49

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 25 April 20 23:23 BST (UK) »
Hi, I have approximate year of birth from the marriage certificate and the 1891 Scottish census, and father's name, Thomas, from the marriage certificate. John and Hannah had three children, two born in Scotland and one born in Tyneside. He died in 1892. There was an inquest - the results don't seem to have been kept but there are 2 newspaper articles reporting the inquest.

As this is a direct ancestral line, great grandfather, I am looking to get as much information as possible about John and the link to his parents, as the link is fundamental to a major family line.

Yes there is a likelihood that the parents of John were Thomas and Margaret (m.s. Garner) based on a customs officer more likely being a teacher (possible 1881 census entry) before joining customs than a labourer or manual worker, the dates given in the marriage cert and 1891 census. However, I am looking for further information in the customs records as there  are a number of other lower likelihood possibilities of parents for John. 

I have not yet found anyone that has John in their family tree who has other evidence. The customs records may have this information. I have been shown some customs records for John Critchley when he was working for Customs in Leith and also Tyneside but nothing for when he went missing or any pension or other communications after his death, or for joining or ?early in his career.

It would be great to see any entries in Ham's Custom Year Book for John Critchley to find out when he joined and confirmation of his movements. I am also hoping that somewhere in the minutes or other records there will be something for the time after he went missing, and also for the time before he got married.

Offline Milliepede

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 26 April 20 11:32 BST (UK) »
There is a headstone for the Thomas Critchley who died 1885 with wife Margaret who died 1900 and the following children are mentioned on the headstone - Ann - Rachel - Elizabeth - Thomas.

Doesn't prove or disprove if that was the right family but no John included. 

If we could find a Thomas with the same occupation John gave when he married that would be a big help.

Pick - Frocester Glos

Offline Kereru49

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 26 April 20 22:52 BST (UK) »
There is an unmarked paupers' grave in a cemetery in the Tyneside area in which John was buried along with a number of other people. A tragic end to a promising life. At some stage I was thinking of putting something there to mark who was buried there. By the time he was found, Hannah and her children may have been with her father in London, so I am not sure whether she was aware of the burial.

I am hoping that the Customs records will provide further information about John Critchley.

The Thomas Critchley's occupation on John and Hannah's marriage certificate says he was a Plate Glass worker. Hannah's family also worked with glass. Interestingly there is a Critchley family in the 1871 census in the area where John and Hannah got married in London and there is  a John Critchley but the father is not Thomas.