Author Topic: Agnes Paterson & her ever-changing family  (Read 1856 times)

Offline lydiaann

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Agnes Paterson & her ever-changing family
« Reply #18 on: Wednesday 29 April 20 14:50 BST (UK) »
My sincere apologies for sending a couple of you up the garden path (and in this rain, too!!).  Despite saying I had been hunting for Wm. Paterson's birth and couldn't find it, of course it's there.  I think the fact that I had been hunting under 'Thomas Paterson' may have had something to do with it!  I really am sorry about that. :'(

I've opened up the computer today to find a 'hint' on my Mary Gibson Boyes entry regarding a Paternity Decree, so will have to fork out for that to see what it says.  The entry is obviously correct as it cites Alexander and Agnes as parents.  However, all the picking away under their names has given a result there.

Thanks for pointing out Agnes's death...I either skimmed the pages too quickly (I had given a range of 1891-1900) or missed a page out.  That little problem now solved.  I wonder where the 'Hiddleston' came in?  There is nothing in the forebears to suggest that that I have found...who knows. (And are we related to the rather delectable Tom Hiddleston?   ??? ;D) Anyway, it is definitely Agnes's death registration.

I think I'll remove the Johnstons from the record, I cannot find anything to say that they 'belonged' to Agnes, as you say, MonicaL, I think there has been an enumerator mistake there.  I have now 'purchased' the 1871 census (this one family is costing me credits galore!) and I can see that, although Agnes and William are living at the same address as Marion and John Johnston, the two pairs are actually under different schedule nos (6 & 7) and there is a thicker line dividing the two pairs.  As you say, I think the enumerator made a mistake in entering them as son and daughter.

I think I have as much information as I need right now.  It just remains for me to thank you all once again for such amazing help in sorting out my muddled brain.  If I come across any other information once I have got the Paternity Decree, I'll let you all know.

Please, stay safe.

lydiaann
Cravens of Wakefield, Alnwick, Banchory-Ternan
Houghtons and Harrises of Melbourne, Derbyshire
Taylors of Chadderton/Oldham, Lancashire
MacGillivrays of Mull
Macdonalds of Dundee

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Wednesday 29 April 20 15:14 BST (UK) »
Despite saying I had been hunting for Wm. Paterson's birth and couldn't find it, of course it's there.  I think the fact that I had been hunting under 'Thomas Paterson' may have had something to do with it! 
:)
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline lydiaann

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Thursday 30 April 20 16:56 BST (UK) »
Well, well, well - yet more 'mystery'.  I have just been entering the 'paperwork' for Agnes.  On the birth registration of William Paterson, it shows that the birth was registered by "Mary Gibson, sister (and nurse to her mother)"  Note, NOT Mary Paterson or Mary Boyes.

Then, on the death registration of Agnes, the registration details read "J. W. Gibson, son".  So, on the birth registration, he is known as "William Paterson", on the 1871 Census as 'William Conviel" on the 1881 and 1891 censuses as "Thomas W. G. Conville" and on the death registration as "T. W. Gibson".
Bearing all that in mind, is he Thomas or William?  And I wonder how he signed his name?  Paterson, Conville or Gibson?  The various documents would suggest he is Thomas William Gibson Paterson but even he must have been confused over the years!

I am having difficulty following him through from his mum's death...but I will get there!  Watch this space!
MacGillivrays of Mull
Macdonalds of Dundee

Offline hmcc

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Friday 01 May 20 15:28 BST (UK) »
A death on SP for Thomas William Patterson (64) 1925 in Dunscore, age matches with your William Paterson.
hmcc

Offline lydiaann

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Saturday 02 May 20 08:51 BST (UK) »
Thank you, hmcc.  I had noticed that late yesterday but I have to buy yet more credits (sigh!), I'm sure it's his.  I think I started the death search 'too late' in his life...I had a quick look at an age range of 70+, I shall be more careful in future!

Thank you again.  Stay safe!!

lydiaann
MacGillivrays of Mull
Macdonalds of Dundee

Offline lydiaann

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Saturday 02 May 20 16:16 BST (UK) »
This goes from strange to weird.  The death mentioned above IS of Thomas William Gibson Patterson, died 19 Jan, 1925, aged 64 years.  So far so good.  Mother is Nancy?? (can Agnes become Nancy?)  She was a seamstress.  Correct on that one point.  Then comes:  Widower of Agnes Johnstone.  Registered by Maggie A G Patterson, daughter.  Now, the only marriage of Thomas Paterson, Engine Keeper (in a previous life he was always a general labourer) to an Agnes Johnston is in East Calder, Edinburgh on 31 Dec, 1891.  However, his parents (yes, there was a dad) are noted as Adam Paterson, Fireman at Oil (?) work and Margaret Paterson, m/s Smith, deceased.  So, I think I have just 'wasted' 12 credits!!  (Note here: if anyone thinks this is their rellie, please PM me and I'll forward the 2 certs).  I HAVE typed the Paterson/Patterson surnames faithfully, and the Johnston/Johnstone!

I still have to send for the Paternity Suit regarding his half-sister, Mary Gibson Boyes, but I cannot see that this is going to clarify too much. 

I am, in fact, wondering, if we - meaning I - have followed the wrong Agnes Paterson all along; if she DID have a son called William but everything else following that Birth/Baptism notice is just plain coincidence.  After all, Paterson is so common in Dumfries and Agnes is very popular as well in the whole of Scotland.  If I can find Agnes's death on SP, we may have the answer when it comes to registration (after all, I do know for sure that she is the daughter of Humphrey Paterson and Agnes Kirk) as her son William will possibly be the registrant.

THIS JUST IN:  Family Trees show the Thomas Paterson and his forebears coming from Midlothian, so I'm more inclined to think that I have gone down the wrong track entirely - and the Conviel/Convle/Conville matters not one jot.    I think the Paternity Suit may be more help that I first thought now...again, Watch This Space ??? ???
MacGillivrays of Mull
Macdonalds of Dundee

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Monday 04 May 20 15:41 BST (UK) »
This goes from strange to weird.  The death mentioned above IS of Thomas William Gibson Patterson, died 19 Jan, 1925, aged 64 years.  So far so good.  Mother is Nancy?? (can Agnes become Nancy?)

Agnes, Ann and Nancy are all first name variants. Great site to always check for variants is www.whatsinaname.net/php/search.php?action=search2&search_name=nancy

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Monday 04 May 20 15:54 BST (UK) »
This looks like daughter Maggie's birth details from what you mention:

MAGGIE AGNES GI(bson?) PATTERSON
816/ 26
Closeburn

Might be worth a look to check what it says about parents' and their marriage details.

There is this 1901 census entry:

Jessie Patterson 17
Maggie Patterson daughter 8 Months
Address: 9 King Street, Dumfries

Certainly potentially more twists and turns....!

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline lydiaann

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Monday 04 May 20 16:45 BST (UK) »
Actually, because we have now established that Thomas William GIBSON Patterson is NOT the son of 'my' Agnes (he has parents named Adam and Agnes) and is the brother of Mary Gibson Boyes Patterson, it doesn't seem worth getting more information, particularly as Maggie is the next generation down still.  The original query was to 'match up' the families purported to be the Patersons that 'belonged' to my tree...I can see no relation to any of these Patersons (having gone into the original Agnes's brothers families) at all.

I hadn't realised that Agnes was a variant of Nancy - or vice versa - but I do go for variants when working with SP in particular.  Who knew? 

Thanks for all the help, Chatters; as always, you've all been fantastic. 

Stay safe!
lydiaann
MacGillivrays of Mull
Macdonalds of Dundee