Author Topic: surname CLAVERANTS / CLARYVINCE in Essex, White Notley/Bures/Dunmow?  (Read 1522 times)

Offline boxoffrogs

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: surname CLAVERANTS / CLARYVINCE in Essex, White Notley/Bures/Dunmow?
« Reply #27 on: Saturday 09 May 20 20:54 BST (UK) »
Hi LizzieL, thank you too for your thoughts.
The name Hannah Margaret comes from her baptismal record ref Essex registers for White Notley, the surname is Clariopoence and just lists her mother as Hannah. Her mother was single when she married Joseph Collard, so Samuel Martin may indeed be the birth father, though I'm unaware of cabinet makers in ths villages at this time, sometimes there was a need, if base born, to fill that gap on the marriage cert. :-\
Essex/Suffolk and further afield where linked - Partridge, Elliott, Beckwith, Lewsey, Owers, Appelton, Josselyn, Sewell, Lindsell and loads of others!

Offline boxoffrogs

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Saturday 09 May 20 21:09 BST (UK) »
Just found a bap of Hun Clary at Bulmer 22 May 1796 to Saml and Rebekah Clary, so there's another one!
Checked freereg and it's Ann, but there are lots of Clary :-\
Essex/Suffolk and further afield where linked - Partridge, Elliott, Beckwith, Lewsey, Owers, Appelton, Josselyn, Sewell, Lindsell and loads of others!

Offline LizzieL

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Sunday 10 May 20 08:31 BST (UK) »
Hi LizzieL, thank you too for your thoughts.
The name Hannah Margaret comes from her baptismal record ref Essex registers for White Notley, the surname is Clariopoence and just lists her mother as Hannah. Her mother was single when she married Joseph Collard, so Samuel Martin may indeed be the birth father, though I'm unaware of cabinet makers in ths villages at this time, sometimes there was a need, if base born, to fill that gap on the marriage cert. :-\
Have you seen the ACTUAL image of her baptism record or are you just relying on someone's transcription? On the scan ( and I am looking at it right now), there is no mention whatsoever of Hannah junior having a middle name. She is Hannah illegitimate Daughter of Hannah Clarywence (sic). In the quality, trade or profession column is Braiding straw.

In Essex accent / dialect w and v are often interchanged
http://www.essex-family-history.co.uk/dialect.htm

Berks / Oxon: Eltham, Annetts, Wiltshire (surname not county), Hawkins, Pembroke, Partridge
Dorset / Hants: Derham, Stride, Purkiss, Sibley
Yorkshire: Pottage, Carr, Blackburn, Depledge
Sussex: Goodyer, Christopher, Trevatt
Lanark: Scott (soldier went to Jersey CI)
Jersey: Fowler, Huelin, Scott

Offline jonw65

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Sunday 10 May 20 09:21 BST (UK) »
We can see the BT of Hannah's baptism at White Notley in 1818 here
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:9Q97-YSL8-LRD?i=1704&cat=515196

And her marriage in Cressing, 4.11.1841, here. Father given as Samuel Martin Claravance.
BT again
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:9Q97-YSL6-KGR?i=361&cat=490859

Offline LizzieL

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Sunday 10 May 20 09:51 BST (UK) »
Yes that is a very good copy of the original parish record, done by same hand. On the copy the word braiding has been written correctly and doesn't have the corrected letter in the middle of the word like the original. And definitely no "Margaret".

When Hannah jnr and her husband registered their children's births the oldest had the mmn as Clary, the others as Claravance.

So if Hannah snr was the one bapt at Bradwell -j- C, she moved to White Notley, had a relationship with someone, gave birth to Hannah jnr, then a few months later married Joseph Collard in White Notley. At some stage she re-invented herself as Claryvance or variants. The first time she is recorded to have this surname is when Hannah junior is baptised.

I have found some records for the other members of the Clary family in B-j-C, but have not researched them exhaustively, but have not found a marriage or burial for Hannah (as Clary), so that does look good for her being Hannah Claryvance.

The Clary family seem to be Ag Labs and similar, whereas the Claravances (from records I have seen on SEAX and ones people have posted on here) do seem to have been much better off - owned land, left wills etc.

Would an unmarried Claravance lady earn her living braiding straw? I doubt it, probably help mother supervise the servants and do a bit of embroidery until a man of suitable status was found for her to marry.
It's getting to sound like Tess of the D'Urbervilles - but without the infant death and the murder!   
Berks / Oxon: Eltham, Annetts, Wiltshire (surname not county), Hawkins, Pembroke, Partridge
Dorset / Hants: Derham, Stride, Purkiss, Sibley
Yorkshire: Pottage, Carr, Blackburn, Depledge
Sussex: Goodyer, Christopher, Trevatt
Lanark: Scott (soldier went to Jersey CI)
Jersey: Fowler, Huelin, Scott

Offline boxoffrogs

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Sunday 10 May 20 11:13 BST (UK) »
Brilliant Lizzie, love it!!
I had noted the variation of the surname with the daughter's children.
No I hadn't seen the original and I have experienced a few interesting transcriptions.
I took a screen shot of the Ancestry record (not original) which pupports to be a different one, I will try to attach. Sorry that's a very dodgy attach :-\ so if you've viewed the original Lizzie, is this just a copy? ???
Yes we are just talking agricultural people here, small villages, though it is interesting a relative, Ann, is then given the same surname on the marriage cert.
(Thank you Jon too for the links)