Author Topic: where in Carmarthenshire????  (Read 4861 times)

Offline c w

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
where in Carmarthenshire????
« on: Monday 22 August 05 22:49 BST (UK) »
can anyone enlighten me on these place names - written in 1881

Noyad wan Jan 11 1881: I laft Merthur to go to Noyad wen cwmdwr Traeastel distans 25 mills and slapt at my brothre in law Rees Davis frosty wethear

Noiad Wen Jan 11 1881: I stopt in the house to read the news and broathear Prat sermon and slapt at my broathear in Law Rees Davis and the snow fell deuring the night to the depth of tean inches

Noyaswen Jan 12 1881: beaing that the snow weas so deape I start hear today and roate a latear to my wife and famely and slapt at Rees Davis

WCl Cwm Jan 13 1881: I laft noya swen and came hear distans 10 mils to see my uncle Daniel my fathears Broather in ---- to get some geniologes of my relations but I did not Sucseade (succeed) much in geting them and I slapt at the Noyad arms Houte all and it frose the water in my bedroom hard

Cil Wwm Jan 14 1881: I went to jacobe Rees of the inn near ppenhyuhenleisic to try to get some genealeges of my relations but I did not sjcsed in geting them then welked Back to Kill Cwm Distans 2 mills and it weas freezing hard and slapt at Daniel Williams Noyad Fawr Arms and it frose the watear in my bedroom hard

Landovry Jan 15 1881: I went this morning to the church yard to get the Date of the death of my grandfathear and grandmothear on my mothear side and visetede the chaine Bridge and crost it then down on the othear side so far as nant yr ogfan then crost on the railroad Bridg at Lwin Jack then up to town and slapt at W Price Black Ox

Lancovry Jan 16 1881: in the morning I went to visit Danial Evans an ould frend of mine and I preach as the pepole came out of the chapeal at 11 a m and thar weas nine inshes of snow on the ground and it weas frezing hard and veary cauld and I slapt at William Price Black Ox and it frose the watear hard in my bedroome

Noyad Wan Cwm dwr Jan 17 1881: I laft Landovery this morning vewing the fare and difrant placis in town and the ould castil and mery seans (scenes) of my childhould and bid them farewell and came hear distans 6 mill and the wind Blowing rathear hard ahd the snow deep and slapt at my broathear in law Rees Davis

I have no idea of the area, so anything would be helpful.

Thanks
Caroline :)

Chidgey (west Somerset)
Morgan(Radnorshire & Tredegar, Mon.)
Griffiths (Tredegar, Mon.)
Morgan (Monmouthshire)
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Arranroots

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: where in Carmarthenshire????
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 23 August 05 07:28 BST (UK) »
Hi Caroline

What a marvellous document - I would love to have such a thing, but sadly many of my ancestors couldn't write at all!

Had a quick look at the 1881 census last night and it seems possible to identify some of the places by looking up the names.  My geography of the area is not wonderful, but will gladly have a bash and see if others will correct me!

Arranroots  ;)
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
SOM: BIRD, BURT aka BROWN - HEF: BAUGH, LATHAM, CARTER, PRITCHARD - GLS: WEBB, WORKMAN, LATHAM, MALPUS - WIL: WEBB, SALTER - RAD: PRITCHARD, WILLIAMS - GLA: RYAN, KEARNEY, JONES, HARRY - MON: WEBB, MORGAN, WILLIAMS, JONES, BIRD - SCOTLAND: HASTINGS, CAMERON, KELSO, BUCHANAN, BETHUNE/ BEATON - IRELAND: RYAN (WATERFORD), KEARNEY (DUBLIN), BOYLE(DUNDALK)

Offline D ap D

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Stuck with John Jones in Wales? Join the club!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 23 August 05 08:17 BST (UK) »
That sound a little bit like the place in this posting:

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,78196.0.html

For what its worth.

Have you tried Genuki and/or the gazetteer?
Stuck with:
William Williams of Llanllyfni
John Jones in Llanelli
Evan Evans in Caio
David Davies of Llansanffraid
Evans: Caio/Carms
Jones: CDG, DEN

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

"Nor do I think that any other nation than this of Wales, or any other tongue, whatever may hereafter come to pass, shall on the day of the great reckoning before the Most High Judge, answer for this corner of the earth": The Old Man of Pencader to Henry II

Offline Arranroots

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 23 August 05 08:25 BST (UK) »
I believe the main locations are Neuaddwen, Llywell Breconshire and Cilycwm, Carms.

Have Pmed you.

It is possible to find 1881 census returns for these people!

RG11/5457  18  7

Rees DAVIES, Cwndwr Road, Llywel, Breconshire - butcher & family.  This seems to be en-route.

He has made his way from Merthyr, via Trecastle to Llandovery area.

13th Jan @ Cilycwm.

14th Jan @ cilycwm, home of Jacob REES:  RG11/5385  Address New New Inn (sic) a farmer of 24 acres, wife Ann.

Daniel WILLIAMS Neuadd Fawr Arms, is a publican RG11/5383

15th Jan @ Llandovery.  No progress on the chain bridge or Nant yr Ogfan.  Llwyn Jack.

16th Jan

17th Jan from Neuadd Wen to Cwndwr - presumable along the A40, Rees DAVIES as before.

Will modify this msg as I find any more

;)
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
SOM: BIRD, BURT aka BROWN - HEF: BAUGH, LATHAM, CARTER, PRITCHARD - GLS: WEBB, WORKMAN, LATHAM, MALPUS - WIL: WEBB, SALTER - RAD: PRITCHARD, WILLIAMS - GLA: RYAN, KEARNEY, JONES, HARRY - MON: WEBB, MORGAN, WILLIAMS, JONES, BIRD - SCOTLAND: HASTINGS, CAMERON, KELSO, BUCHANAN, BETHUNE/ BEATON - IRELAND: RYAN (WATERFORD), KEARNEY (DUBLIN), BOYLE(DUNDALK)

Offline Arranroots

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 23 August 05 08:53 BST (UK) »
This site refers to several of your landmarks - the chain bridge, the Black Ox - and also mentions many preachers associated with the area.  Didn't spot your chap on the quick look I had, but he may be there!

http://home.clara.net/tirbach/HelpPagepearlsCarmarthen3.html

;)

Offline c w

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 23 August 05 08:56 BST (UK) »
Managed to find Cilycwm on the map so I will try working my way around from there.

The persons I am interested in are those specifically mentioned as relatives, which can be confusing as he talks of other church members as Brother and Sister.

thanks
Chidgey (west Somerset)
Morgan (Monmouthshire)

Offline c w

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 23 August 05 08:59 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the link to the landmarks, always interesting to get an idea of the area

Chidgey (west Somerset)
Morgan (Monmouthshire)

Offline RuthieB

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 23 August 05 09:04 BST (UK) »
Cilycwm, which is not so very far away from me, has a rather lovely church (Church in Wales these days) with some rather splendid restored wall paintings - one of which is a skeleton.  Not as macabre as it sounds though.
Ruthieb
Jones, Mantle; Radnorshire
Russell, Stonehouse, Agar; Yorkshire/Durham
Brown, Fair; Durham,  
Little, Cumberland
Morris, Woolley, Owens; Montgomeryshire.

Offline RuthieB

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 23 August 05 09:05 BST (UK) »
Oops, forgot to say that it's in the I-Spy book of cathedrals and churches and I think it's worth about 15 points!
RuthieB
Jones, Mantle; Radnorshire
Russell, Stonehouse, Agar; Yorkshire/Durham
Brown, Fair; Durham,  
Little, Cumberland
Morris, Woolley, Owens; Montgomeryshire.