Author Topic: where in Carmarthenshire????  (Read 4860 times)

Offline Arranroots

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: where in Carmarthenshire????
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 23 August 05 09:09 BST (UK) »
Ruthie you are a hoot!  I used to belong to the I-Spy Club and still have my badges!  ;D

Caroline: Unlikely though it sounds, it seems there is a place called Llwyn Jack - or rather several places associated with each other, near Llangadog.

http://archiver.rootsweb.com/th/read/CARMARTHENSHIRE/2002-02/1014379964

Ruthie - I hope you will put me right if my geography strays??

;)
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
SOM: BIRD, BURT aka BROWN - HEF: BAUGH, LATHAM, CARTER, PRITCHARD - GLS: WEBB, WORKMAN, LATHAM, MALPUS - WIL: WEBB, SALTER - RAD: PRITCHARD, WILLIAMS - GLA: RYAN, KEARNEY, JONES, HARRY - MON: WEBB, MORGAN, WILLIAMS, JONES, BIRD - SCOTLAND: HASTINGS, CAMERON, KELSO, BUCHANAN, BETHUNE/ BEATON - IRELAND: RYAN (WATERFORD), KEARNEY (DUBLIN), BOYLE(DUNDALK)

Offline RuthieB

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 23 August 05 09:14 BST (UK) »
I only know Cilycwm because I went there purposely to see the church - otherwise I have to rely on my OS map which I don't have to hand at the computer.

I used to love I-Spy books - you can still get them obviously - I bought one for me as I was doing a course here at the University of Wales, Lampeter, and one for my sisiter-in-law who was doing castles. Although we've been to nearly all the castles, I wouldn't let her tick them off retrospectively - we have to re-visit them all again. Jolly good fun it is as well!

RuthieBx
Jones, Mantle; Radnorshire
Russell, Stonehouse, Agar; Yorkshire/Durham
Brown, Fair; Durham,  
Little, Cumberland
Morris, Woolley, Owens; Montgomeryshire.

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline c w

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 23 August 05 09:16 BST (UK) »
Hi RuthieB,

Thanks, I will look up the church.

I'm off to trawl the IGI, and the 1881census refs. Arraroots has provided - I will pop back in later.

Caroline :)
Chidgey (west Somerset)
Morgan(Radnorshire & Tredegar, Mon.)
Griffiths (Tredegar, Mon.)
Morgan (Monmouthshire)

Offline Caroline_d

• RootsChat Member
  • All information is appreciated
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 23 August 05 23:02 BST (UK) »
Hi

Further to your posting...I might be on the wrong track, but it's worth a try.

There used to be a Black Ox bank in Llandovery..it was the oldest independent bank in Wales until it was sold out to Lloyds bank.

It was founded by a Jones but due to his children dying before him etc it went via a granddaughter who married H Evans-Davies, through further generations, it appears that there were connection with a Price family.  So maybe it's possible he was referring to the Bank - Black Ox (the Drovers bank) and a  Price family member there?

I'll have to see if a William Price is located in my tree somewhere..there are distant family connections with the Price, David-Evans and Jones family connected with the Black Ox bank and Llandovery.

I said it was a long shot!

Caroline
Anges Weild - Annan - married William Blenkinsop - Annan
Jane Scott, Roxborough who married William Hope (children, Wilhelmina Amelia, Horatio Nelson Trafalga Hope!) 
James Blenkinsop (born Dumfries)
James Blenkinsop (born Lancashire)
Wilhelmina Blenkisop (born Surrey) married Arthur Price (Wales)
Henry Reginald Price (Brecon, South Wales)
Evans (Coelbren, Wales)

Offline c w

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 24 August 05 06:29 BST (UK) »
Hi Caroline,

The family I am interested in is that of John Evans born 1829 in Llandovery, who was the writer of this document.  As he mentions many of his relatives I am trying to piece together his family in order to find a connection to a cousin he mentions in Monmouthshire.

I have now found John's aunt's and uncles on both parents sides, but have yet to find the person who is the connection to my ancestor.

It has been interesting reading of his travels and it gives me an idea of the way life was in Wales at that time (1880- 1881)

Caroline :)
Chidgey (west Somerset)
Morgan(Radnorshire & Tredegar, Mon.)
Griffiths (Tredegar, Mon.)
Morgan (Monmouthshire)