Author Topic: Looking for Proof of Great Uncle - Possibly Settled in Callan, County Kilkenny  (Read 1121 times)

Offline AlanR83

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Hello,

My Great Grandfather's brother John Valentine Roche (born 1869) broke contact for good with his family in Cork around the early 1900's.

I have him in Cork in the 1901 census working as an Assistant Blacksmith:
http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1901/Cork/Mogeely/Glenanemore/1132739/

In 1911, I have found a John Roche born in Cork living as a Boarder in Callan, County Kilkenny, listed as an Unemployed Blacksmith:
http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1911/Kilkenny/Callan_Urban/Mill_Street/562458/

I have found online a death cert for a John Roche age 84, died on 14 April, 1957, listed as married, with address Green View, Callan, Kilkenny with son Paul Roche present at death.

I believe I have found the marriage cert for Paul Roche (John's son) online - Listed as John Paul Roche, 08 February 1938 married Mary Shelly in Callan. The Groom's father is listed as John Roche a Labourer, the groom's address listed as Green Lane, Callan.
I have found the below births listed on Family Search Org for Callan with mother maiden name Shelly and father Roche:Names and dates of birth of living folk removed
I am looking to find the marriage cert of the John Roche listed above as the Groom's father in 1938 to whoever he married (at this point name unknown), as this marriage cert would have the name of John's father listed on it and occupation and if deceased at the time of marriage - If the marriage cert says John Roche, Miller / Millwright, Deceased - then this should prove this John Roche who died in Callan is my Great Uncle.

Offline dublin1850

• RootsChat Veteran
  • A great lover of Dublin history
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for Proof of Great Uncle - Possibly Settled in Callan, County Kilkenny
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 29 April 20 10:02 BST (UK) »
Have you found (John) Paul's birth on irishgenealogy.ie ?

The John Roche in the census in 1911 is 55 and single.

Coffey, Cummins [Rathfalla, Tipperary], Cummins [Skirke, Laois], Curran, Dillon [Clare], Fogarty [Garran, Laois/Tipp], Hughes, Keshan (Keeshan), Loughman [Harristown and Killadooley, Laois], Mallon [Armagh], Malone, Markham [Caherkine, Clare], McKeon(e) [Sligo/Kilkenny/Waterford], McNamara, Meagher, Prescott [Kilkenny/Waterford/Wexford?], Rafferty, Ryan, Sullivan, Tobin
GEDMatch: T665306 tested with Family Tree DNA and also with ancestry
GEDCOM file: 1980344

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for Proof of Great Uncle - Possibly Settled in Callan, County Kilkenny
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 29 April 20 10:51 BST (UK) »
The 1957 death is in the newspapers
John Roche Green View.
Ex British Army (South Africa)
Native of town
Wife Mary, 3 sons, Paul, William, Patrick, 3 daughters only gives their initials and married surnames.
Worked for Kilkenny County Council
2 brothers Edward and Daniel.

Offline Maggsie

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile

Offline Kiltaglassan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Seven Sisters mountain range in Co Donegal
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 29 April 20 14:26 BST (UK) »
Is this the marriage you are looking for?
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/marriage_returns/marriages_1938/08877/5210442.pdf
Maggsie

He already has that marriage record, as quoted above.

I believe I have found the marriage cert for Paul Roche (John's son) online - Listed as John Paul Roche, 08 February 1938 married Mary Shelly in Callan. The Groom's father is listed as John Roche a Labourer, the groom's address listed as Green Lane, Callan.

KG

Researching: Cuthbertson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Australia; Hunter – Co. Derry; Jackson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Canada; Scott – Co. Derry; Neilly – Co. Antrim & USA; McCurdy – Co. Antrim; Nixon – Co. Cavan, Co. Donegal, Canada & USA; Ryan & Noble – Co. Sligo

Offline AlanR83

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 29 April 20 16:18 BST (UK) »
Thanks Sinann,

The newspaper article proves that the John Roche who died in 1957 in Callan is not my Great Uncle as he was not native to the town and he did not have brothers - Edward or Daniel.

As for what happened the John Roche from Cork listed in Callan in the 1911 census, I think this is most likely my Great Uncle, but what became of him I have no idea.