Author Topic: Birmingham lookup please.  (Read 515 times)

Offline Romilly

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Birmingham lookup please.
« on: Thursday 30 April 20 12:14 BST (UK) »

Samuel Booth and Winifred Gertrude Hanley Married in Aston, Birmingham in April 1920.

They later emigrated to British Columbia, Canada.

Samuel Booth was Born 1899, and Winifred Hanley in 1897.

I've found Winifred Hanley with Parents Sidney and Alice in Hockley, Birmingham, but I'm not sure if I've got the right Parents for Samuel Booth?

There are several Alf and Alfred Booths...

Any help welcomed.

Cheers, Romilly.
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Researching:
Wilson, Warren, Dulston, Hooper, Duffin, Petty, Rees, Davies, Williams, Newman, Dyer, Hamilton, Edmeads, Pattenden.

Offline Pennines

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Birmingham lookup please.
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 30 April 20 13:07 BST (UK) »
Romilly -- I am assuming by mentioning 'Alf' -- Samuel's father was shown as Alfred on the marriage certificate.

If so there is only one Samuel Booth of approximately the correct age on the 1901 census with a father Alf. (Mother Elizabeth - and other children present) They are in Aston, Birmingham.

RG13/2859

Does the father's occupation show on the marriage record? This particular Alf is a Tinplate Worker in 1901.
Places of interest;
Lancashire, West Yorkshire, Southern Ireland, Scotland.

Offline Romilly

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 30 April 20 13:26 BST (UK) »

Thanks for looking Pennines,

I've been working back from the 1911 Census, when I know I have the right Family. (Children's names are right apparently).

I've been speaking to my DNA Matches in Canada, who are the Grandchildren of Samuel and Winifred. I assume that they have marriage certs, etc.

I was just getting a bit mixed up going further back...(Alf/Alfred/Samuel/Samuel Tranter Booth).

I'm assuming that my link to this family; which I know is on my Maternal side, is a lot further back.

Romilly.
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Researching:
Wilson, Warren, Dulston, Hooper, Duffin, Petty, Rees, Davies, Williams, Newman, Dyer, Hamilton, Edmeads, Pattenden.

Offline Pennines

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 30 April 20 14:06 BST (UK) »
Well looking at the 1911 - the same family come up with Samuel's parents being Alf/Alfred and Elizabeth.

Looking at the GRO index - Samuel's mother's maiden name was Evans.

An Alfred Jones Booth married an Elizabeth Maria Evans in Q/E Sept 1885 in Birmingham Registration District.
The date of this marriage fits with the number of years shown as 'married' on the 1911 census - however I don't know if I am looking at the same census as you are. Alfred still shown as a Tin Plate Worker.

Birth place shown as Darleston and Elizabeth's as Hereford.

I am not sure what you are actually looking for when you say you are not sure if you have the correct Alfred Booth. Are you looking for his birth - and it is that where you are not sure if you are looking for the right Alfred Booth?

If it's the correct marriage - then he seems to have a middle name of Jones.
Places of interest;
Lancashire, West Yorkshire, Southern Ireland, Scotland.

Offline Romilly

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 30 April 20 14:22 BST (UK) »

I was looking at this late last night, Pennines,

And seemed to have come across a long line of Booths who were all Grocers; which didn't seem to sit too well with the Tinplate Worker!

Thinking about it, (in daylight) I suspect that my link to this family comes via the Evans Marriage.

Thanks for the help,
Romilly.
Researching: